• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Good grief. On top of the many bugs, it is not linear to beyond -80 dB or 13 bits! These people really need to start measuring their gear....
Isn't 70dB-80dB channel separation also not complete ass?

AdrianusG

70-80 dB channel separation would be more than adequate,
For instance, the left/right channel separation of my (very simple) pick-up element is according to specs only 22dB, still i can hear perfect L/R separation through my speakers, however this is the noise floor, which is something completely different i think.

kevin1969

Fixes bad review.
Screenshot_20230606-172756.png

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go with 736284 fixes, I mean, "upgrades" trying to save the darn thing after it was released. While also having the excuse "but wait, what version was measured? Oh, that one is old and irrelevant now, the current version 937482 is A LOT better!". And another batch of update reviews on the magazines and blogs...

We have all seen this before.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just realized they said this: "This small software patch reduces audible noise in the DSD MK2." So there was a really audible noise and their great ears did not catch it???

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audible to whom? Obviously not Paul "Golden Ears" McGowan.
On one video a year ago or so he was trying to impress people and make them believe he knew something about the recording process in professional studios, and he was demonstrating the use of the "phase" button on his console, so he pushed it, and the two tracks he was auditioning started to comb-filter like CRAZY. It should have been obvious to anyone, and he said it sounded better.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's 2023 there's no need for a DAC to have audible noise. Especially when it's costing seven grand.

I would ask who is buying this stuff but I know who. Price = Performance crowd.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If they only measured their gear, they would avoid such embarrassments and last minute updates.
Undoubtedly true…but that noise is also an upsell opportunity for one of their power plants - might this be a dominating factor you missed?

Top Bottom