• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Here's another one that falls into the same category of "fanboy reviews"
also from quite recent date.
He was "shocked by how much better the MK2 is than the previous version."

We all know that these people just don't get it, but be serious! Electronic components and design are capable of being at the cutting edge of theoretical performance now. It's just not possible for any piece of gear to be SHOCKINGLY BETTER than a previous version if the previous version was very good in the first place

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just not possible for any component to be SHOCKINGLY BETTER than a previous version.
Under-appreciated point. Most of the differences declared by audio rags these days don't even exist, but if they do, they are still quite difficult to tease out. Otherwise we'd be seeing 10/10 blind tests all over the place.

But if the previous version was badly compromised.....

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, Amir tested that one I think and the transformer made the output quite a mess.
I’m guessing that can’t be fixed in a free software upgrade. Gee what a great company.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wish JA would state the 22 kHz BW dynamic range in DAC reviews. I read through the PS Audio forum thread discussing this DAC on my lunch break and so many people there think that only ultrasonic noise is the issue. Obviously if you are familiar with measurements you can easily see that in addition to ultrasonic noise this DAC also has issues with audio band noise. Looking at the -90 dBFS FFT is kind of unbelievable. Below is a comparison of the Stereophile measurements of the DS Mk2 (left) and the Okto dac8 stereo (right). Red/blue are 24 bit data and magenta/cyan are 16 bit data.

1686242689540.png

Michael

kevin1969

PS Audio wants it's customers to believe that no one has really figured out how to convert digital to analog. In Paul's own words. "It's not easy stuff".

And he's right, it's not easy stuff when you convert everything into a 1 bit sample for no other reason than being able to call it DSD and then need to address the outrageous amounts of noise that needs to filtered out from the results of doing so.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went straight to Paul Miller's comments to see if he would criticize what he measured, but was not the case. At least we got a nice inside photo.

723bs.1.jpg

AdrianusG

Below, Another rave review for this dac, what are we missing??

AdrianusG

Especially this:

"Otherwise distortion has increased by up to 20dB (x10) in the MK2 below –30dBFs [see Graph 1] even if figures of 0.009-0.05% (20Hz-20kHz/–30dBFs) are still perfectly low enough. Furthermore, such is the increase in requantisation noise and 6dB shift in 'headroom' that the in-band A-wtd S/N now clocks in at a sub-16-bit 92.5dB (improving to 105.5dB with a full"

He literally states that it's even below the established CD standard.

And still maintaining that it's an improvement across the board over the MK1 version, ......mindblowing this, pure misleading and unbelievable.

greetings
Ad

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He was "shocked by how much better the MK2 is than the previous version."

We all know that these people just don't get it, but be serious! Electronic components and design are capable of being at the cutting edge of theoretical performance now. It's just not possible for any piece of gear to be SHOCKINGLY BETTER than a previous version if the previous version was very good in the first place
No, you are wrong. There is no limit to how much the sound can be audibly improved. :rolleyes: (<-- anti Poe's law emoji)

kevin1969

And they've improved it yet again. Although they've provided no objective measurements to back up these claims.
Screenshot_20230805-081530.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if you are releasing a dac surely it should work as well as can be measured with V1.0 firmware

disregarding stuff like fixing ESS humps

I dont think its normal to be unlocking large performance improvements several firmware revisions down the track???

it means you should not have released the dac as it was OR you're doing this deliberately to make it seem like you have 'great customer support'

if its a complex thing like a streaming AVR well that's a different story but a dac??? surely everyone has got the point that it works as intended day one?

i would give a pass to someone like RME given their dacs do a whole lot but RME wouldnt do this... they have like... standards to uphold.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if you are releasing a dac surely it should work as well as can be measured with V1.0 firmware

disregarding stuff like fixing ESS humps

I dont think its normal to be unlocking large performance improvements several firmware revisions down the track???

it means you should not have released the dac as it was OR you're doing this deliberately to make it seem like you have 'great customer support'

if its a complex thing like a streaming AVR well that's a different story but a dac??? surely everyone has got the point that it works as intended day one?

i would give a pass to someone like RME given their dacs do a whole lot but RME wouldnt do this... they have like... standards to uphold.
The people who own these DACs think that the idea that it can get better with each update is the best thing since sliced bread.

Far from being a negative it's one of the positives they cite about their purchase. We're through the looking glass with this.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go with 736284 fixes, I mean, "upgrades" trying to save the darn thing after it was released. While also having the excuse "but wait, what version was measured? Oh, that one is old and irrelevant now, the current version 937482 is A LOT better!". And another batch of update reviews on the magazines and blogs...

We have all seen this before.
Took their time to resume the standard procedure above.

kevin1969

And it solves the problem of bad reviews because "oh we fixed that" and their customer base is so gullible they believe the sound improves every time there's a firmware update. Can you imagine if a company that makes industrial control systems or optical transport gear did this shit?

Ricardus

"Improved sound quality dramatically."

I'm sure that's the final bullet point of all their releases.

Lowered ultrasonic noise by 30 dB? Citation needed.

Using noise shaping and higher clock speed to move the noise higher in the audio spectrum is a thing though. At least they're finally admitting that ultrasonic noise with DSD is a thing. Paul basically refuses to talk about it when he talks about DSD in his videos though.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Improved sound quality dramatically."

I'm sure that's the final bullet point of all their releases.

Lowered ultrasonic noise by 30 dB? Citation needed.

Using noise shaping and higher clock speed to move the noise higher in the audio spectrum is a thing though. At least they're finally admitting that ultrasonic noise withy DSD is a thing. Paul basically refuses to talk about it when he talks about DSD in his videos though.

In the video announcing the update Paul actually shows some AP results:

Of course they aren't real screen grabs but rather a shaky video filming a computer monitor screen. Also love how the y-axis on the "improved" measurements is not shown.

I've come to the conclusion that Ted Smith really doesn't know what he is doing. It is possible to design a well performing DAC that uses a FPGA, even one that upsamples to high rate DSD like the Ted Smith's PS Audio DACs. See below for some examples.

Clearly Ted is not capable of doing the same.

Michael

Ricardus

I've come to the conclusion that Ted Smith really doesn't know what he is doing. It is possible to design a well performing DAC that uses a FPGA, even one that upsamples to high rate DSD like the Ted Smith's PS Audio DACs. See below for some examples.

Clearly Ted is not capable of doing the same.

Michael
Yeah, incompetence seems to run rampant in that company.

Top Bottom