• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could be, but for those who are happy with EQ the below 300 Hz range, I dare say in a blind test few could barely hear the difference between XT32, AARC, Dirac Live or whatever. Just look at the REW graphs posted on various forms, including mine, you can see why I am so confident.

They are likely doing the very same thing at lower frequencies (an exception is Dirac's "Bass Control" which also optimizes the crossover splice) but I've never seen a properly conducted comparison with measurements or ABX listening test.

I just took another look and noticed that this thing did not do good on the other tests such as linearity, THD Vs frequency, 32 tones etc... Everything seems to border on the what many may consider the thresholds of audibility. If I want a NAD, I would bite the bullet and pay the premium for the T778 for sure.

I wouldn't want any NAD. Too many unresolved bugs (e.g. "Rhye distortion") and implementation errors (e.g. tone controls downstream of bass management).

Last edited:

Robesini

You would see the same performance while the data would be much harder to interpret as speaker, mic and room add a ton of additional variables.

The problem with Amir's test is that he didn't explore "safe" output voltages enough. Obviously 2V drives the device into distortion. But then NAD didn't specify what the max. "safe" output voltage is either.

I have a Rotel RMB-1506 multichannel amplifier and that has the next specs:
Input Impedance 20 k Ohms
Input Sensitivity 1.0 volt
Amplifier Gain 26 dB
Input Overload Level 5.0 volt
Peak Current > 25 A

So it can handle input levels until 5.0 volt. It is now paired with a Marantz av8003 which is very old and needs to be replaced.
It has a gain level adjuster for each channel so i don't know if it is possible to get max output with a 0.9 volt input signal. Also it is not clear which voltage internaly is used. i expect that that will be in the mv range. i can not believe that 4V can be used directly to drive the powerstage

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Rotel RMB-1506 multichannel amplifier and that has the next specs:
Input Impedance 20 k Ohms
Input Sensitivity 1.0 volt
Amplifier Gain 26 dB
Input Overload Level 5.0 volt
Peak Current > 25 A

So it can handle input levels until 5.0 volt. It is now paired with a Marantz av8003 which is very old and needs to be replaced.
It has a gain level adjuster for each channel so i don't know if it is possible to get max output with a 0.9 volt input signal. Also it is not clear which voltage internaly is used. i expect that that will be in the mv range. i can not believe that 4V can be used directly to drive the powerstage

The rotel RMB=1506 is rated only 50 W into 8 Ohms so even with just 26 dB gain, 1.0 V will drive it to its rated output.

Robesini

The rotel RMB=1506 is rated only 50 W into 8 Ohms so even with just 26 dB gain, 1.0 V will drive it to its rated output.

Well ok after reviewing some of the receivers reviews i have ordered a Denon avc-x3700h. I think it is a fair receiver for a reasonable price

slipchuck

It's too bad people are writing this avr off.
It's like this: when you go to university and get all the theory needed does it make you best in your field? Of course not. You also need real world experience. ASR is the theory side of things. Take it with a grain of salt. There are my websites that state the t758v3i is outstanding in It's class! The dirac is a definite game changer as I can attest
Really opens up the sound stage and adds dimension to the music.
I for one don't rely on one opinion I gather all the information before I make an informed decision

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is the theory side of things
It is not ”theory” it is the actual measurements, that measure the quality of the amps/dac etc. These can be audible or in some cases may not. Amps measure poor relative to Denon and others (both in output and noise). DAC measures poor at 2V. Measures OK ish at 1v. If you need/want better amplification that it provides and use external amps, be sure they don’t need more than 1V to be driven fully.
There are my websites that state the t758v3i is outstanding in It's class!
There are many websites claiming it is good. Many of these claim to be reviews but often times are nothing more than a press release, subjective opinion, and/or paid for by the manufacturer.
The dirac is a definite game changer
Dirac does do a really good job. In particular if doing full range EQ IMO. But if the poor amps/dac become an issue that can’t overcome hardware limitations.
My take on it is the T758 is a good case on just how bad the bench test results can be before it becomes an issue. After owning the unit for a while...
-if you have sensitive speakers you may hear hiss/noise at the listening position.
-If the power is not adequate and you need more amplification, be sure you get an amp that matches around the 1v that the unit puts out
-if you don‘t listen all that loudly, it is a good way to get Dirac if that is what you are after.
But even if you can get past the hardware, it has many missing features I find important/helpful as well.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like this: when you go to university and get all the theory needed does it make you best in your field? Of course not. You also need real world experience. ASR is the theory side of things. Take it with a grain of salt. There are my websites that state the t758v3i is outstanding in It's class! The dirac is a definite game changer as I can attest
Really opens up the sound stage and adds dimension to the music.
I for one don't rely on one opinion I gather all the information before I make an informed decision
Sure. But also know that Amir expects manufacturers to up their game when it comes to basic hardware that he believes should be commonplace now. Whether or not you agree with that aim is up to you.

slipchuck

EE here, firmly believing that measurements do describe what we hear, up to a point. This will be a bit long. No more excuses, here is my story:

I did my homework and read all this thread. Twice. As I read many other threads about receivers and room correction systems here on asr. I read all the NADT758 avsforum thread (incredbile, I know, 620+pages then, 631 today). All right, I did that just once Hello Markus! Read about when you were banned, reading anxious to find out why, enjoyed your return and so on. I knew it all beforehand, I knew this NAD will be returned, I knew it would sound bad, I could hear the harshness of it’s horrific SINAD inside my head just reading all this but still... this NAD seemed polarising and I love a good controversy.
My room + not so well placed Yahama NS777s doesn't seem to like Denon's take on room correction so I ordered a NAD T758v3i fully knowing that it is the worst measuring receiver on the whole planet – by far. I expected to play for a month with DIRAC, see what it can do with my room and, being objectivelly the worst measuring receiver (by far!) I would definitelly hear some of it shorcommings and send it back within the return window. I had an UMIK-1 prepared in advance for that month of bad sound. And I pressed the order button.
I had my share of frustrations until I finally understood there is no way to get usable CEC with NAD+Philips TV (sorry Markus for not believing you from the start :). I cursed the Spotify or Tidal problems until I boutgh a better router (a wi-fi mesh) that fixed the issues. I still grasp at how bad DIRAC software can be (on Windows at least) and I am trully skeptical on how well the filters can be computed seeing that the programmers have insurmontable issues just letting the main app window maximizing by itself. Or countless crashes, unexpected app closings and so on. By now wireless works well, I don’t need DIRAC Windows software anymore because all is set, CEC is a long distant memory and the spring will soon be here. So here I am, listening to Rusty Egan, Slow Down, on my Yamaha NS777s in my nasty room with my NAD T758v3i. SINAD, well - it is horrific for sure, as we seen, but the sound in my room is – you know the saying – night and day (sorry, cound’t resist being autoironic) compared with what I got before with a stereo amp, NAD C375BEE. Would I be able to better fix my room with anything that measures better within about the same budget? Couldn’t care less by now, just trully enjoy the relaxed sound I got. This NAD proved to be a keeper, wining against bias and measurements and my tehnical education.
By no means I imply that measurements are not important or good measuring manufacturers shouldn't be encouraged or similar. Just that sometimes we get to obsess about numbers, loosing in the process the larger picture. This NAD T758v3i was a distinct moment when the enginner in me was proven wrong: bad measurements can be less relevant. Harshenss? Cannot find any. I read the argument that including DIRAC should not save NAD reputation, fully agree but still, here I am with no better alternative that a horrific SINAD and still happy. Enough writing, I will return to my Topping DX3pro+my Senn hd600 to redeem myself with some minutes of better SINAD
This is what I have been trying to say for a while
What part of music does some of these measurements effect? None that my ears can detect
I have never hear any distortion up until my paradigm cinema 100 5.1 can handle.
Measurements are fine... but until they can be tied to real life situations they will remain reading material

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not if they're buying a Denon instead!
The buyer gets a better performing unit all around.
At some point in sales numbers, NAD might get the point and improve their design teams work.
Then we all win with better products coming out for everyone

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Objectively, this isn't a great effort by NAD:
-Poor amps (both quality and quantity)
-Noise can be an issue with high sensitive speakers (at least it was for me)
-Poor measuring dac at 2v. But really not an issue it seems if the volume doesn't get too high
-Low output on preouts for those wanting to use external amps. Can be mitigated if you get amps that don't need alot of output (1v or less)
-Poor quality control/support (IMO). Many issues with the hardware and fixing bugs
-No interest in responding to request regarding issues found in the review. Their policy is "we don't comment on reviews/bench tests etc"
With Onkyo/Pioneer out now, I just don't see a market for this unit any longer. It used to fill the least expensive dirac receiver you could get. Now with choices from Onkyo/Pioneer they no longer have than niche it seems to me. Hopefully we will get some of these other units to Amir soon to see if they are any better than the NAD. While it isn't very good on the measurement side it is probably a use case if any of the issues are audible or not.

slipchuck

At some point in sales numbers, NAD might get the point and improve their design teams work.
How many units brag about good ASR reviews?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many units brag about good ASR reviews?
I don't think you will find any manufacturers of AVR's bragging, but I think that misses the point. When someone is in the market for one, they start researching for reviews. Now when they research what to buy one consideration will be the data from Amir's reviews. Reviews showing good performance are important because more and more people shopping are paying attention to objective performance. It isn't and shouldn't be the only consideration (features, warranty, support, etc also play a major role). I would say the Amir's review of the Denon x3600/x3700 (and most Denon units in general) have made a difference in the number sold. If you peruse AVSForum now on people asking what to buy these Denon units get recommended all the time and often time there is a link to an ASR review. The opposite is also true where a unit that is poorly reviewed is linked to ASR. While difficult to quantify for sure, it does have an effect. It would be interesting seeing how many clicks from AVSForum come into ASR in any given month linking to the reviews.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While difficult to quantify for sure, it does have an effect.
Good reply/post. For sure it's having an effect, enough that Denon went back to the drawing board and cleaned up their AVR line for the 2020/21 model year. People are doing their homework and reading the reviews here and many manufacturer know it, but they're not going to advertise their failings.

database

Especially if they're buying a Denon instead, and they're stuck with something as primitive as Audyssey.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially if they're buying a Denon instead, and they're stuck with something as primitive as Audyssey.

Not that primitive, the editor app is only a few years old and there is an newer version coming soon apparently.
The bottom line is, it works quite well, according users who have taken a lot of measurements that support their claims.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I have been trying to say for a while
What part of music does some of these measurements effect? None that my ears can detect
I have never hear any distortion up until my paradigm cinema 100 5.1 can handle.
Measurements are fine... but until they can be tied to real life situations they will remain reading material

Agreed to a point, but why didn't they make something that used parts (such as the DAC, volume control ICs, opamps etc. the basic parts) that have better specs and measured as good as their competitors lowered price products? The distortions of the T758V3 may be below the threshold of audibility under most applications, but may not be so under other conditions. As others pointed out, noise could be an issue to some people who sit close enough to speakers with high sensitivity, not an issue perhaps for movie watching but may annoy serious classical music lovers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When was the last time you used Audyssey?
Not so "primitive" as you claim.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good reply/post. For sure it's having an effect, enough that Denon went back to the drawing board and cleaned up their AVR line for the 2020/21 model year. People are doing their homework and reading the reviews here and many manufacturer know it, but they're not going to advertise their failings.
I think the 2018 models were already really solid. Weren't the only major changes to add preamp mode for all channels, the ability to load 2 Audyssey files into the AVR, and HDMI 2.1?

database

Not that primitive, the editor app is only a few years old and there is an newer version coming soon apparently.
The bottom line is, it works quite well, according users who have taken a lot of measurements that support their claims.
When was the last time you used Audyssey?
Not so "primitive" as you claim.
I used the editor app with XT32 in 2017 and again in 2019 setting up other systems. I helped a friend who was trying to emulate the sound of my Dirac system for cheaper and Audyssey didn't cut it, bass was too bloated with the same target curve I use on my Dirac system, and imaging was less precise. His fix was to upgrade to this NAD. That was a few years ago and since then he has upgraded to the HTP-1 with Bass Control.

FR measurements provide a baseline to make sure the room correction isn't broken but they're not the most useful in comparing room correction software. Every Dirac user should know this already - you can do a single measurement calibration in Dirac and get perfect measurements that closely follow the target curve when measuring in REW. But a single point Dirac calibration sounds unlistenable, worse than Audyssey, which is why Dirac specifically warns you not to take too few measurements. That's because a Dirac calibration with too few measurements gives you filters that overcorrect, so the result sounds dry and dull, and the soundstage completely collapses. But it's hard to predict it would sound that way from looking at the pristine FR measurement. When you take several measurements and space them out properly as Dirac recommends, you get incredibly clean bass, more precise imaging, and a satisfying "Live" sound that I've never heard from Audyssey on three different systems. I imagine there's a reason several dozen users, many with Audyssey, introduced the miniDSP DDRC-88A into their systems with positive results, even though the 88A is not ideal because it adds an extra A/D/A conversion.

What has changed with Audyssey since 2017? In that time Dirac has improved even further with DLBC. When was the last time you used Dirac?