• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Jotunheim and iFi iDSD Black Label DACs and Headphone Amps

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I could send mine. I've been enjoying it quite a bit since fixing the grounding/hum issue. I don't have the multibit DAC card, but the dual 4490 one. I've been back and forth between using that internal DAC and using the DX7s to feed it.
Would be interested to see it as a pure amp compared to the massdrop THX in SE and balanced.
Sounds good. I have a ton of gear to review right now so let's sync up sometime in January.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sweet, definitely interested to see how it compares vs. THX as a pure amp.

confucius_zero

Would you say the BL is competent next to Topping D10-30-50 purely as a DAC?

miam78

Hello,
I've been looking for an upgrade from my DT770 and my onboard sound since a moment now. At first, I was thinking about the best bang for the buck , a Topping stack (A30/D30) but ultimately, I changed my mine and decided to go for the "best"( at least around 600bucks). My heart stopped me on the ifi iDSD micro BL (thanks to your review and many others over differents forum). So I was wondering what is the best between those both , topping or BL ( if it really worth his price, seems like yes but I'd rather asking you ahah ), and that maybe you could help me about choosing one.
I know that I should try others, but those 2 are the easiest one to get for me.
I shall be using it with a HD800. I know I should change my headphone first but they are sales off where I live and can get them for a good price right now.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello,
I've been looking for an upgrade from my DT770 and my onboard sound since a moment now. At first, I was thinking about the best bang for the buck , a Topping stack (A30/D30) but ultimately, I changed my mine and decided to go for the "best"( at least around 600bucks). My heart stopped me on the ifi iDSD micro BL (thanks to your review and many others over differents forum). So I was wondering what is the best between those both , topping or BL ( if it really worth his price, seems like yes but I'd rather asking you ahah ), and that maybe you could help me about choosing one.
I know that I should try others, but those 2 are the easiest one to get for me.

I have had the micro BL and the topping DX3. The ifi BL has a LOT of power for being battery powered which is very nice in terms of engineering. The DX3 in high gain is equally powerful although it is 15V wall-wart powered vs battery, BUT the DX3 sounds admittedly clearer. The iFi loses a little clarity, on paper the DX3 has much more signal over noise and subjectively I do believe you hear this.

In conclusion, the DX3 is cheaper and is end-game worthy. The iFi is very powerful and nice sounding, but will leave you wondering how something 'better' will sound, since there is better out there. For $600 you can do better unless you must have battery powered device.

I have not owned the A30/D30 though. I think the khadas tone board + audiophonics tone board case + JDS Atom is a better stack in terms of performance if you want a two-part stack. The DX3 is easy since it's just one device.

Last edited:

miam78

I have had the micro BL and the topping DX3. The Topping has a LOT of power for being battery powered which is very nice in terms of engineering
You mean BL right ?
Well, as you say, if I can do better , I will. I just ended on BL because it was "love at first life" but I now feel dumb, I might have made pretty lame research then ahah.
I don't necessary need it to be battery powered device it was juste a little +, if something is better , not battery powered, I'll take it for sure.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
You mean BL right ?
Well, as you say, if I can do better , I will. I just ended on BL because it was "love at first life" but I now feel dumb, I might have made pretty lame research then ahah.
I don't necessary need it to be battery powered device it was juste a little +, if something is better , not battery powered, I'll take it for sure.
Don't feel that way, the iFi is a decent piece of equipment, the older silver model was my first headphone amp/DAC, and I was happy with it, but like Veri said, there are others out there that are equal or better quality, but a lot cheaper, seems like just the last 2 years these little Chi-Fi labels have been making waves big time, and Amir has brought them into the light.

Veri

Master Contributor
You mean BL right ?
Ah sorry yes that was a typo. The iFi* has a LOT of output power, more than jotunheim lol. I was also quite happy with the iFi, just sold it because I'm cheap. I'm sure it won't disappoint you ;) just leave all audio forums if you don't want to think of "upgrading" your shit in no time.

RhubarbXIV

Hi all- Long-time reader, first-time poster, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this (and hopefully redirect me to where I ought to post this).

Recently purchased an ifi micro BL for the bedside. Definitely more than enough power, but it sounded like the R channel was softer, even well above the 9:30 position on the dial (even up as loud as I can stand to listen).

So I whipped out the old Fluke multimeter and measured the voltage across L/R channels from the HP output. The L channel was consistently 2%+ higher than the R channel. I'm not an audio expert so I'm not sure what this means in terms of audibility, but I sure thought I heard an imbalance.

I guess my question is, is +2% voltage-wise within normal limits for this level of gear? My daily driver is a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, where the voltage differences are negligible. I don't have any more sophisticated equipment to test power under load or anything, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Is this a bum unit, or am I hearing things?

dc655321

Major Contributor
So I whipped out the old Fluke multimeter and measured the voltage across L/R channels from the HP output.

What signal are you using to measure this?
2% voltage is about 0.2dB. I would think that is not likely an audible concern.

RhubarbXIV

What signal are you using to measure this?
2% voltage is about 0.2dB. I would think that is not likely an audible concern.

I was just using the standard NCH tone generator software on my Win10 laptop -> usb -> BL -> HD600 cable. Tried it with a function generator app on my android as well (different trials, levels, fs, compared to Benchmark). I sort of suspected that +/-2%V shouldn't be audible given the dashbord results on a lot of the reviews here- I guess someone should do a study of perception of soundstage, etc. vs allergy season.

Should also note that when I ABXed with HD 600s, I couldn't tell. It was just with the closed headphones I *thought* I noticed it (but couldn't ABX those). But then again, I can't imagine any headphone manufacturer successfully matching their drivers to within more than 0.2dB (don't kill me, Grado) over the full fr anyhow. Not to mention pads, fit, etc.

Thanks for the input!

adude995

Hello all, also first time-poster here.

I got a used ifi micro idsd (non BL), and i do have some sort of digital distortion in the lows independent from the volume.
This isnt really noticeable, only if I highcut mids and lows by software APO)
This problem isn't there with other DACs.

Does someone else also has this problem?
Or anyone else noticed this at their device?

I want like to know if my device is broken.

thx for help!

Veri

Master Contributor
I got a used ifi micro idsd (non BL), and i do have some sort of digital distortion in the lows independent from the volume.

Hi, I only had this when I had accidentally toggled the iematch to one of the two active settings, and then going very high in gain.
The IEMatch caused severe bass distortion when not used with IEMs.

adude995

Hi, I only had this when I had accidentally toggled the iematch to one of the two active settings, and then going very high in gain.
The IEMatch caused severe bass distortion when not used with IEMs.
Hi, thanks for the answer.
The problem is already gone indeed and it was a Problem caused by me.

I really do like that ifi, although I can't compare it to any other DACs since it's my first good one.

Dana reed

Top Bottom