• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Triplefun

I received my d50 from massdrop. I'm using daphile and confirm it is supported and dsd512 up sampling works fine with no issues. The ifi ipower also connects with no need for an adapter. The sound is better than the previous smsl m8, Sabaj d3 and ifi idsd nano and similar to the smsl m8a.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I can't come to terms with the idea of adding USB up front enhancers, at extra expense, to USB fussy products. Why not buy well designed DACs in the first instance? Cut losses and get rid of the non-performing DAC. o_O

Last edited:

Triplefun

Yes, but I found it made a difference and others likewise have had no issues. I think he may have had issues with the test equipment or couplings.

See https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28262-forum-posted-measurements-of-ifi-ipower-ps/
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-nothing-part-4-uploaded-and-complete/?page=2
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=IFIPOWER

I don't want to run down Amir and I respect his opinions and process. However, you need to get a balanced understanding and look to see if others can repeat his findings. I found iPower made a difference compared to the standard Walmart device on my SMSL m8a and likewise the computer USB power. The $49 is a good investment but maybe a rechargeable battery power pack may be a cheaper alternative. Re the D50 I was just confirming the ipower connects without an adapter and the power output is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think he may have had issues with the test equipment or couplings.
No, that was not it at all.

Almost all switching power supplies shunt the output to input AC to get rid of some of the emissions to pass regulatory certification. Alas, this also works the other way, feeding AC forward to the output of the power supply ground. This in turn couples AC in the rest of your audio system.

IFi's answer has been that they use an isolation transformer for all of their testing. This is wrong as their users don't use isolation transformers. So their testing is invalid in the context of how users deploy their products.

Fortunately it is hard to hear that AC mains injection and hence the reason people don't complain. But objectively, the measurements I performed are correct.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
If it’s that important put it in the gear, my cdp has 2 tx’s as part of the power supply..

England won 2 0 vs sweeeeeeeeeeden so,,,,
Might add a bit to the weight.
71sHE9aR%2BAL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

ramzi

Greetings everyone!

Just ordered a D50 after researching the best I could and finding you guys in the process, big kudos to amirm for all the detailed reviews!

I would be really grateful if someone could chime in and tell me if I made a huge mistake but I wanted a quality DAC to connect my LG OLED C7 as the main audio source to my Rega Brio integrated amp / KEF Q350 speakers.

My plan is to connect the TV to the D50 using AudioQuest Forest TOSLINK followed by AudioQuest Evergreen RCA to the amp.
If I understood everyone correctly, I should pretty much be good to go at that point by selecting the OPT input and using the default filter and no volume changes on the D50 since I'll control the volume with the amp?

I just want quality sound as close to the source material I can get without breaking the bank whether I'm watching multimedia or playing console games, intended to replace the basic RCA-3.5mm cable to connect the TV and the amp.

During researching I looked at Modi Multibit, JDS EL DAC, Hifime UDA38Pro, and then found out about Topping which seems to fit my needs the best.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome since I'm pretty new to the audio game from a technical point :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Greetings everyone!

Just ordered a D50 after researching the best I could and finding you guys in the process, big kudos to amirm for all the detailed reviews!

I would be really grateful if someone could chime in and tell me if I made a huge mistake but I wanted a quality DAC to connect my LG OLED C7 as the main audio source to my Rega Brio integrated amp / KEF Q350 speakers.

My plan is to connect the TV to the D50 using AudioQuest Forest TOSLINK followed by AudioQuest Evergreen RCA to the amp.
If I understood everyone correctly, I should pretty much be good to go at that point by selecting the OPT input and using the default filter and no volume changes on the D50 since I'll control the volume with the amp?

I just want quality sound as close to the source material I can get without breaking the bank whether I'm watching multimedia or playing console games, intended to replace the basic RCA-3.5mm cable to connect the TV and the amp.

During researching I looked at Modi Multibit, JDS EL DAC, Hifime UDA38Pro, and then found out about Topping which seems to fit my needs the best.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome since I'm pretty new to the audio game from a technical point :)

Yeh, based on your goals and your current setup, you've made an excellent decision. Enjoy :)

D

Deleted member 65

If it’s that important put it in the gear, my cdp has 2 tx’s as part of the power supply..

England won 2 0 vs sweeeeeeeeeeden so,,,,

England fans invaded an Ikea after beating Sweden in the World Cup

Smashed a Billy Thomas?

Lon

Prior to joining, I used the forum as a research tool when looking for a DAC.
I appreciate all the time and energy represented here.
The addition of a Topping D 50 into my audio system has made a wonderful improvement in sound quality.
My question to the forum concerns HDMI. Why is it not in common usage in DAC's? Except for computers, all my audio source components have HDMI outputs. Only my older Sony SACD player has SPDIF coaxial, but for an unknown reason it does not pair with the D50. It is my understanding that HDMI supports more audio information (24 bit/192khz) than SPDIF. In my research I did find one DAC which supported HDMI. As the D50 appears superior to the internal DAC in my other devices, I would like to use it instead.
The trend in high definition audio is towards hard drive storage and high bit rate streaming, both of which require computer intervention to manage the digital signal. At the same time, there seem to be significant problems with noise when using a USB interface, the computer standard. Now the latest trend seems to be dedicated audio computers (rendering devices) which claim to deliver a clean USB signal.
Could using HDMI help to mitigate the noise issues? Additionally, HDMI is now native compatible with USB-C.
Thank you.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Lon,

The short answer is that HDMI has generally inferior performance compared to SPDIF. This is because it tends to introduce a lot more jitter (timing error) into the signal. In some cases, the differences may so great that they are audible. For this reason (I believe), most high fidelity DACs don't bother with it.

A much longer and more thorough answer is available here :)

nefilim

Is the output ground pin not connected to input ground pin? Check with a multimeter.

they do appear to be connected (ie. 0 ohm between input and output ground pins - measured with the input and outputs unplugged) - curious why you ask?

also using one of these upstream (for the digital chain only): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60 - it's surprising how often it indicates over voltage from the mains.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
they do appear to be connected (ie. 0 ohm between input and output ground pins - measured with the input and outputs unplugged) - curious why you ask?
Because that indicates it does NOT provide isolation. They do this for safety reason but in the process remove the reason people buy them!

Top Bottom