• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

noel_fs

That's a myth and not a verified fact.

In any case, the vast majority of audio tracks are recorded in PCM or converted via PCM into digital. You barely have 1% (maybe less) that's DSD recorded from end to end.

As for lossless versus lossy, most of the difference people note, most of the time are from placebo, without a complete blind A/B in place. Unless of course you're talking about playback sources from a long time back that are processor limited .
Hmmm, from what I know everything is recorded in DXD and then converted either to pcm or dsd? Not sure but i think its something like that.

jsheard

Can the DX3 Pro not do fixed line-output with variable headphone control? This is exactly how I'd like the use the unit for the time being...

It can't do fixed-line/variable-headphone by the nature of how it's designed, since the volume control is done digitally inside the DAC.

The volume control would have to be seperated out into its own stage between the line-out and headphone-out to get that functionality.

zephyros

Has anyone notice any hiss with the DX3pro with sensitive IEM? I plan on getting one soon.

bleachershane

Finally received my unit, first thing I did was install the Topping driver, next up upgrade the firmware (may not have been necessary as it was 1.04 but nevertheless overwrote it).

Next up, plugged in a headphone cable and measured the DC offset, no way in hell am I blowing up my PSB M4U1 headphones, even if I have a brand new boxed spare pair in the wings! Could not see any issues with my unit and after a couple of hours I can hopefully say that the Topping won't be burning out my headphone drivers...

Now trying to get Foobar set up to pass through bit-perfect audio. I've always used ASIO so have switched to WASAPI, not sure how much of a difference Push or Event makes to my set up yet.
Foobar Options.jpg

I'm struggling to get native DSD to output without conversion to PCM, will continue working on that...

Playing around with the filters, it may be psychological but I have a preference for F-1 which seemingly bucks the F-6 trend, then again, can I hear a difference while I'm getting used to the unit? Barely had it two hours.

My PSB M4U1 headphones in standard gain mode are hitting around -35dB for loudly mastered tracks/-25dB for quietly mastered tracks for my usual listening amplitudes. I have absolutely no need to go to the high gain mode, -25dB for loudly mastered tracks/-15dB for quieter tracks was as loud as I tested before I felt uncomfortable and I'd never normally listen at those levels anyway.

YouTube/browser audio plays when Foobar stopped, will not play when Foobar is paused. This is as I expected it to be, I've never granted my previous sound devices exclusive control as it used to get on my nerves, will just have to get used to it!

Oh, and I have my headphones on so if there's any crazy clicking, I can't hear it... (there isn't any crazy clicking, only clicks I've heard are when sample rate changes, etc).

Much more listening to go...

bleachershane

For those that want a reference as to what filter settings refer to the descriptions on this list, I made this quickly.
vs_dac03.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Wolven

For those that want a reference as to what filter settings refer to the descriptions on this list, I made this quickly.View attachment 19427

I posted this chart earlier and my interpretation of filters was same as yours, which is cool.
I find that F3 works best. I cannot see any difference between settings F2, F4, F5.
F1 gives different sound, it adds vertical height to the sound when playing through speakers, and alters the headphones as well. It is very noticeable.
I think it does this by adding treble, making the sound brighter.

bleachershane

I posted this chart earlier and my interpretation of filters was same as yours, which is cool.
I find that F3 works best. I cannot see any difference between settings F2, F4, F5.
F1 gives different sound, it adds vertical height to the sound when playing through speakers, and alters the headphones as well. It is very noticeable.
I had a feeling someone had done that already as I've been reading the entire thread since I made my purchase! Sorry about that, made a printout of the one I posted and added into the box with my instruction manual.

I could not hear any difference between F-2, F-4 and F-5, F-6 I found brittle, overly separated and unnatural, in fact I thought there was something wrong with the channel phasing with that one! F-1 I found to have the most musical and rich sounding switching directly from F-6. Remember this is through headphones and my preference may be different through speakers, or it may be even more difficult to hear a difference.

Last edited:

parkerlewis

I am having some major troubles with my DX3 Pro.

I have been using it without issue for 3+ weeks with a USB connection to my PC. Two days ago I did the firmware update to 1.04.

Last night I heard a loud 'pop' sound come from the left side of my headphones, followed by a constant hissing noise and no other audio playback. The 'pop' noise occurred again any time I changed inputs on the DX3. I disconnected my headphones because I was worried about damaging them.

I performed 2 factory resets (turning the knob counter-clockwise in standby until the display lit up) and re-applied the 1.04 firmware.

After letting the DX3 sit for a few hours, I tried again with a cheap pair of headphones. I briefly had some right-channel audio, but got the same loud 'pop' on the left channel. After changing inputs to optical and then back to USB, I no longer had any audio coming through, just that hissing noise.

Guess I will need to contact Topping and set up a repair for this, not looking forward to the turnaround time which I imagine involves shipping to China and back.

It's pretty disappointing as I had waited a few weeks to receive the DX3 and felt like it was perfect for my needs, plus I am in the middle of auditioning some new headphones (LCD-MX4 and Focal Clear) and now I have no other headphone dac/amp to use.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor

I have been using it without issue for 3+ weeks with a USB connection to my PC. Two days ago I did the firmware update to 1.04.

Last night I heard a loud 'pop' sound come from the left side of my headphones, followed by a constant hissing noise and no other audio playback. The 'pop' noise occurred again any time I changed inputs on the DX3. I disconnected my headphones because I was worried about damaging them.

I performed 2 factory resets (turning the knob counter-clockwise in standby until the display lit up) and re-applied the 1.04 firmware.

After letting the DX3 sit for a few hours, I tried again with a cheap pair of headphones. I briefly had some right-channel audio, but got the same loud 'pop' on the left channel. After changing inputs to optical and then back to USB, I no longer had any audio coming through, just that hissing noise.

Guess I will need to contact Topping and set up a repair for this, not looking forward to the turnaround time which I imagine involves shipping to China and back.

It's pretty disappointing as I had waited a few weeks to receive the DX3 and felt like it was perfect for my needs, plus I am in the middle of auditioning some new headphones (LCD-MX4 and Focal Clear) and now I have no other headphone dac/amp to use.
Sorry to hear that, a little disconcerting as I've got one sitting on my doorstep right now...

bleachershane

Was there any damage to the headphones?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

F1 doesn’t elevate the treble. What you’re hearing is something else ;)

bleachershane

Luckily both sets of headphones seem to be fine when I listen to them plugged in directly to my iPad, so I don't think they were damaged.

I will not be plugging anything else in to the DX3 right now, though, just to be safe.
Best to be safe. It sounds as though something has gone wrong with the output stage, but I'm taking guesses. Worrying though what with this combined with the DC offset issues an early poster had and makes me question the integrity of the build/soldering of these boards.

Toku

Major Contributor

For your reference,
I also experienced the same trouble. And I also tried a factory reset as well as you. But DX 3 Pro did not return at all.
Finally, unplug the ac adapter from the outlet, leave it for about 1 hour, then put the ac adapter in the outlet again and it returned to normal operation.

parkerlewis

For your reference,
I also experienced the same trouble. And I also tried a factory reset as well as you. But DX 3 Pro did not return at all.
Finally, unplug the ac adapter from the outlet, leave it for about 1 hour, then put the ac adapter in the outlet again and it returned to normal operation.

Thanks; I had actually seen your earlier post which was what led me to leaving my DX3 completely unplugged for a few hours. But even after having it sit all night overnight with no cables plugged into it, I am having the same problems with it this morning.

It doesn't look like mine is going to recover. I have contacted Topping support via email and will see what they advise.

Top Bottom