• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

BenjaminB

and the net radio play in crappy 44 khz even when there are better quality bitrates available for the particular station.

Well, actually the WXC-50 does play in the bitrate transmitted, but the text on the MusicCast app just state 44.1 kHz for all MP3. Works fine up to 320 kHz which is the highest MP3 internet radio bitrate I have found.
To play a eg 320 kHz data stream in 44.1 kHz would require a re-sampling which requires at least the same hardware resources as just playing 320 kHz. Eg Linn internet radio seems to transmitt in 320 kHz only, there is no 44.1 channel - which is to be expected by Linn.
It is the same with a 320 kHz MP3 file, stored on a PC or NAS. Musiccast state this is played in 44.1 kHz.

It is possible to use another dlna/uPnP controller, eg "Hi-Fi cast" which states the correct data rate.

Unfortunately, the Yamaha controller has some defects. This is one such.

AAC/m4a files or internet radio are correct labeled by the Yamaha controller.

/B

Yanluk

Well, actually the WXC-50 does play in the bitrate transmitted, but the text on the MusicCast app just state 44.1 kHz for all MP3. Works fine up to 320 kHz which is the highest MP3 internet radio bitrate I have found.
To play a eg 320 kHz data stream in 44.1 kHz would require a re-sampling which requires at least the same hardware resources as just playing 320 kHz. Eg Linn internet radio seems to transmitt in 320 kHz only, there is no 44.1 channel - which is to be expected by Linn.
It is the same with a 320 kHz MP3 file, stored on a PC or NAS. Musiccast state this is played in 44.1 kHz.

It is possible to use another dlna/uPnP controller, eg "Hi-Fi cast" which states the correct data rate.

Unfortunately, the Yamaha controller has some defects. This is one such.

AAC/m4a files or internet radio are correct labeled by the Yamaha controller.

/B
I think you are very confused.
And have bitrate and sample rate completely mixed up.

BenjaminB

I think you are very confused.
Thanks! Nice welcoming.

Focus on the essentials as well :cool:

Any real problems to understand what is meant by "320 kHz data stream"? Is it really necessary to spell out "data stream stemming from a 320 kHz sampling"? Note the post I responded to, stating "the net radio play in crappy 44 khz" ( you also responded to that post o_O ) - even though it is unlikely that any radio is playing in 44 kHz most of us understand what is meant by this.

Enjoy your weekend

//B

Yanluk

Thanks! Nice welcoming.

Focus on the essentials as well :cool:

Any real problems to understand what is meant by "320 kHz data stream"? Is it really necessary to spell out "data stream stemming from a 320 kHz sampling"? Note the post I responded to, stating "the net radio play in crappy 44 khz" ( you also responded to that post o_O ) - even though it is unlikely that any radio is playing in 44 kHz most of us understand what is meant by this.

Enjoy your weekend

//B
There is no such a thing as 320 kHz data stream.

You can can have 44.1kHz audio sample rate, streamed at 320kbps. As I said, you have sample rate and bitrate confused.

And it is actually very likely that the audio is at 44kHz sample rate.

What you seeing in the app is sample rate not a bitrate of the stream.

Dushyant

Couldn't find a reference to "speaker size" in the manual or in this thread. All the manual says is this, from page 12:

"You can adjust the volume or high frequency cut off control when the subwoofer is equipped with those functions."

So, no built-in adjustments for the subwoofer output.
Q1. Is the Optical out also Volume controlled by the Yamaha?

Q2. Will the subwoofer out also be Volume controlled per volume knob on Yamaha?

grogi.giant

What is the current state of Spotify Connect in the WXA/WXC-50? Does it still work? Can one connect to it without issues?

toroop

The above features suggest to me that with the Mode Switch in Pre Amp position you are using the ESS DAC with DSP (Digital Sound Processing), while in Player mode you are not, that you are using the Burr-Brown DAC.
I have been following this discussion about the WXC-50 DACs.
I found a different opinion on this site:

In one discussion board I’ve read recently, Yamaha confirmed that the WXC-50’s DSD-capable ESS DAC chip is used for the PRE-OUT and all digital outputs (Optical and Coax) while the Non-DSD capable Burr Brown DAC chip is used for the AUX outs.

So it seems in either Player or Pre Amp mode, as long as you have plugged in the PRE OUT rather than AUX OUT you will be using the ESS DAC.

WilliamWen

"I tested the same, this time using Roon to stream the 1 kHz tone to it using Airplay:

Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming DAC and Amplifier Digital Audio Measurements.png

We lose just a couple of dBs although distortion levels are a bit lower."

Hi amirm,what sample rate did you use roon to stream? 16bit 44.1kHz or 24bit 192khz? I guess the low sample rate affected the result.

Yamaha announced 110dB SINR (IHF-A) @ streaming and 98dB SINR (IHF-A) @ AUX IN.

SPOautos

In one discussion board I’ve read recently, Yamaha confirmed that the WXC-50’s DSD-capable ESS DAC chip is used for the PRE-OUT and all digital outputs (Optical and Coax) while the Non-DSD capable Burr Brown DAC chip is used for the AUX outs.

So it seems in either Player or Pre Amp mode, as long as you have plugged in the PRE OUT rather than AUX OUT you will be using the ESS DAC.

Are one of these dac chips considered better than the other?

Last edited:

Rjbell78

I'm finding the volume on the app is almost at full volume when cranking it up a bit. It's not crazy loud and this is meant to be 50 watts per channel. These type of volumes on previous amps with similar power I'm sure I'm only half way.

AJM1981

I'm finding the volume on the app is almost at full volume when cranking it up a bit. It's not crazy loud and this is meant to be 50 watts per channel. These type of volumes on previous amps with similar power I'm sure I'm only half way.

I have the impression that a firmware update over the years changed how volume cranking is handled and restricted.

A crazy glitch in the past caused the Wxa50 amp here going from an average volume to full open volume blow related to a mistouch in the app or related. Stresslevels were high while searching for the remote. :)

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When Amir tested the WXA-50 the gain for a 5W output power was very low: 7.341dB
On my equipment I had to set up at maximum all the internal gain settings of the WXA-50.
Also i guess that the RCA input voltage that I get is very weak.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Are one of these dac chips considered better than the other?
Hi, yes the ESS is considered way better.
Yamaha WXC-50 uses the ESS SABRE9006AS DAC.
202304_YamahaWXC50ESSSABRE9006.jpg

ServiceManual is here:

Tangband

Major Contributor

This is true but …..

Using Yamaha wxc50 pre out ( the ESS dac ) in pre-amp mode does SRC in a dsp chip to 48 kHz with every material !

In this mode one can regulate both the volume from the spdif out and from the analog pre amp RCA output.
Unfortunately, using Yamaha wxc50 in preamp mode with its 48 kHz SRC does sound slightly worse than using wxc50 in player mode, without the volume regulation. In player mode, the spdif output follows the input, ie, is bitcorrect.

Meaning:

Using the Yamaha wxc50 in ”preamp mode” is not as good sounding from the spdif out as a WiiM pro using volume regulation from the spdif out. If volume regulation in both digital an analog domain is important, then the WiiM pro will perform better than the yamaha.

however….

Using the Yamaha wxc50 in ”player mode” there is no SRC going on and the sound is identical from the spdif out as from a WiiM pro with spdif out.

To meet the competition 2023, Yamaha should fix a better volume regulation and it would be perfect.

Last edited:

soulfresh

Based in Melbourne, Australia, just received my amp for a few days. Probably one of the first batch for down under lol!

Thankfully, my Wiim amp (PCB_Version: 5) is free from any of the HDMI ARC issues or noise related issue so far. Perhaps being a lesser prirority market for Wiim have some benefits for new products!

For those interested, here are my thoughts (Inc. screenshot of EQ pairing with KEF Q350 speakers) : KEF Q350 + Yamaha WXA-50 v KEF Q350 + Wiim Amp

For those considering switching from WXA-50 to Wiim amp might find some useful info. from someone who just sold his WXA-50 for a Wiim amp.

Top Bottom