• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 222 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 128 31.4%

• Total voters

micko

As I understand, the tested item was sent by the manufacturer and the results are great.
It would be much more reliable to test the off-shelf item.
Thanks.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be much more reliable to test the off-shelf item
Alright. Would you buy one and measure it yourself ?

:rolleyes:

I reviewed and measured several WiiM products/samples over the last year or so. Some sent by the manufacturer, some I bought by myself. The last WiiM Amp sample I got was sent straight from Amazon FR warehouse. Had to imagine how it would have been cherry picked in any shape or form.

micko

Off-shelf items are the only real representatives of the products, do we agree on that!?

harkpabst

Testing an off-the-shelf sample tells nothing about series variations. So you have to broaden your approach and buy various samples from different regions of the planet to be on the safe side.

In addition, items sent by the manufacturer are not necessarily better. In fact there's quite a chance of early production samples not performing as well as those from later series production.

The first sample I received performed well in most of the tests but showed quite an increase in distortion at lower frequencies. This manifested in Multitone test and power vs frequency sweeps. I ran the results by the company and they said this was an early production problem that was fixed. They sent me a new one which almost remedied that problem.

Oops, just what's been happening here. :)

So yes, in theory it would be better to test regular merchandise. You can buy a sample and send to to @amirm for testing. This has been done in the past and once you send over your sample he might or might not find the time to repeat his measurements.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

micko

All previous claims can be accepted as true. But it is also a fact that the first produced series had the same specifications as later produced devices.

Last edited:

harkpabst

All previous claims can be accepted as true. But it is also a fact that the first produced series had the same specifications as later produced devices.
So what? You said that testing "the off-shelf item" was "much more reliable" and didn't proof your claim.

It's absolutely trivial to state that manufacturers could be sending out hand-picked samples to reviewers. It's been argued that this is not only unlikely with a mass production unit like the WiiM Amp, but that (very obviously) this has not happened.

What kind of response do you expect and from whom? No traditional HiFi magazine on this planet is sourcing items through regular sales channels. But nowadays there are more people around with the knowledge and equipment to perform their own tests and way to publish the results.

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
According to digitaltrends article there will be another new device:
I'm anxious to learn what will be the other device Wiim introduces at the Munich show.

My hope is a higher-power, PFFB amplifier that will pair nicely with the Pro, Pro+ and Ultra streamers. Perhaps that's an unreasonable hope, but not inconceivable.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I'm anxious to learn what will be the other device Wiim introduces at the Munich show.

My hope is a higher-power, PFFB amplifier that will pair nicely with the Pro, Pro+ and Ultra streamers. Perhaps that's an unreasonable hope, but not inconceivable.

Part of me agrees. But then again, part of me thinks we already have that base covered with numerous options from Topping, Fosi, etc., whilst WiiM could come up with something new and different.

im_gumby

I have to ask how this would compare to something like an Arcam Solo Uno.
I picked one up for my home office.
The Solo Uno price has dropped to where its near the Wiim... it has less power... but curious about sound quality comparisons.
I think Best Buy has the Arcam for around $399

mikessi

I have to ask how this would compare to something like an Arcam Solo Uno.
Comparing specs....

25W/8R vs 60W/8R is a significant difference. ~4 dB. When you want to crank it up w/o running into audible distortion, it could mean the difference between loud enough & not loud enough.

The Arcam has a higher SN spec: 117 dB(A) vs 103 dB but weighting not specified, so maybe w/o weighting. Amirm measured 105.7 dB SN through the digital inputs. Again, not sure if it's a weighted measurement. Also not sure if the difference is meaningful; ie, I hear virtually nothing from the speakers when I pause play with the Wiim Amp. Even if the Arcam is quieter, does it matter?

im_gumby

Comparing specs....

25W/8R vs 60W/8R is a significant difference. ~4 dB. When you want to crank it up w/o running into audible distortion, it could mean the difference between loud enough & not loud enough.

The Arcam has a higher SN spec: 117 dB(A) vs 103 dB but weighting not specified, so maybe w/o weighting. Amirm measured 105.7 dB SN through the digital inputs. Again, not sure if it's a weighted measurement. Also not sure if the difference is meaningful; ie, I hear virtually nothing from the speakers when I pause play with the Wiim Amp. Even if the Arcam is quieter, does it matter?
Thanks for the response.
Honestly I like the Solo Uno. Doesn't have a lot of power... but more than enough for me. I'm driving 6ohm speakers and they can get louder than I can tolerate w no break up. (Although its sometimes a pain to set the volume when I switch between listening and using bluetooth (via an McIntosh MB20) .
The Solo Uno doesn't do Bluetooth.

Was curious about the DAC chip. and other things.

Note: No buyers remorse on the Solo Uno. Depending on what I do for my next speakers... I will probably upgrade to a Purifi Amp . Either a Kit or one from Orchard or Buckeye. Then move the Solo to the guest room.

Top Bottom