• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of the new Schiit URD

Brab

To those who asked why not just use a cheap DVD player to play your CDs. I just bought a $50 DVD player to play the few DVDs I have. I was curious to hear how a CD would sound played through it in comparison with the $500 (gasp!) Cambridge Audio transport I usually use. In terms of expectations, I actually wanted it to sound just as good. It sounded awful. Granted I had to pass the HDMI output into a deembedder so as to access my DAC so perhaps that screwed up the bits. The Cambridge is not up for sale.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What’s next? Schiit OLE?
I keep waiting for them to merge with that Detroit hipster boutique company Shinola.
A match made in heaven (or somewhere).

Shinola used to do a turntable (the Runwell).
Schiit used to do a turntable (the SOL).
Coincidence?
I think not.
;)

SHINOLA_7.jpg

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t read this if you don’t care about what this thing does or how it sounds. I haven’t measured anything and very competent dScope folks are already on it.

- It plays CDs, and it plays them well. That’s sort of the minimum you’d expect.
- The other thing it does is receive 2 USB inputs and either do USB output or SPDIF.
- The USB implementation is custom - they call it Unison - and they claim to have focused on getting PCM performance right. There are plenty of CMedia DACs and gizmos out there that measure and sound good, too.
- If you compare, say, its SPDIF output and its USB output into a DAC that supports both inputs and A/B, you do hear differences in soundstage and attack. This could be explained by the receiving DAC having separate clock strategies for each input. I could not run a similar test with a PiAES because the USB output and the hat’s SPDIF output have very different volumes and that makes listening hard. However, I will say having the unison output go into a DAC with unison input does sound different - whether it’s distortion one subjectively enjoys more or not is a different point. Changes are simple to hear: the attacks are precise but are slightly bloomier (gated reverb drums, harp plucks, or acoustic guitar is where you’ll notice it the most). With various amplifiers I consistently experienced differences in the soundstage width, which surprised me (Considering in the end I was not switching DACs). I think it would be fun to have a DAC that ”measures” the same with SPDIF and USB input and try it there. I don’t think the SPDIF output in this thing is crippled, sounds as fine to me as the PiAES SPDIF out. Those are objective things someone can measure and rule out.
- It is also a new toy. Comparing streaming input to CD is fun. And yes, some of us have decades-worth of CDs, and current mixes are different from what we got in the 80s/90s. And if you have “no idea” of what the fuzz is about with loudness and mix changes and unavailability of certain recordings, well, then you are probably not interested in a CD player anyway.
- I compared the CA CXC to this thing, both outputting SPDIF into the same DAC, I can’t hear a difference.

Value/Performance is a subjective thing. Go cheaper (CXC or a computer drive that reads at 40x and also does DVDs) or burn 4K or more on an MCT80. Whatever you enjoy your music (and/or your APx555) the most with is the right choice :)

Thanks for your report. A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

1. How quiet is this unit? Specifically, (A) Do you hear any mechanical hum or other sound from its power supply when it's in use? And (B) Do you hear any noise from its disc mechanism during playback? I understand it might make a sound when a disc is first inserted and it's reading the TOC and so on. But during normal playback, including when it goes from one track to the other on its own when playing an album all the way through, is it silent?

2. I get that you feel the Urd sounds identical to the CXC using each one's SPDIF output is fed into the same DAC. And I get that you feel that URD SPDIF to DAC sounds different than URD USB to the same DAC (which could be the URD or the DAC, or both, or neither). But what do you mean when you say, "having the unison output go into a DAC with unison input"? Isn't the URD the only device that has unison input?

rfernand

Thanks for your report. A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

1. How quiet is this unit? Specifically, (A) Do you hear any mechanical hum or other sound from its power supply when it's in use? And (B) Do you hear any noise from its disc mechanism during playback? I understand it might make a sound when a disc is first inserted and it's reading the TOC and so on. But during normal playback, including when it goes from one track to the other on its own when playing an album all the way through, is it silent?

(A) very quiet, no transformer hum.
(B) Silent during playback. As you suspect, mechanical noise only at loading / unloading and seek. you do hear classic “laser psssss” if you get close enough. Think 1990 Discman or the early Sony or Pioneers. Not as ”psaaaauuuuussss” as, say, the Apple SuperDrive.

2. I get that you feel the Urd sounds identical to the CXC using each one's SPDIF output is fed into the same DAC. And I get that you feel that URD SPDIF to DAC sounds different than URD USB to the same DAC (which could be the URD or the DAC, or both, or neither). But what do you mean when you say, "having the unison output go into a DAC with unison input"? Isn't the URD the only device that has unison input?

No, a bunch of Schiit DACs (Bifrost, Gungir, Yggdrasi) have Unison USB input. I think the real novelty of this thing is we now have a unison-to-unison connection, which we haven’t heard before. Remember, a lot of folks dislike usb sound (jitter, poor isolation, blah blah). I don’t even know what fun measurement experiments to design and understand wth is happening here. I would not be surprised if there is some harmonic distortion us tube heads prefer and some solid state lovers hate. Or just better timing without reclocking. Or delicious placebo (Unlikely, but hey, many do bottle and sell it).

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(A) very quiet, no transformer hum.
(B) Silent during playback. As you suspect, mechanical noise only at loading / unloading and seek. you do hear classic “laser psssss” if you get close enough. Think 1990 Discman or the early Sony or Pioneers. Not as ”psaaaauuuuussss” as, say, the Apple SuperDrive.

No, a bunch of Schiit DACs (Bifrost, Gungir, Yggdrasi) have Unison USB input. I think the real novelty of this thing is we now have a unison-to-unison connection, which was not possible before, and we haven’t heard before. I don’t even know what fun measurement experiments to design and understand wth is happening here. I would not be surprised if there is some harmonic distortion us tube heads prefer and some solid state lovers hate.

Thanks so much for the info about its noise (or lack thereof), and thanks for the unison clarification - much appreciated!

Veri

Master Contributor
Remember, a lot of folks dislike usb sound (jitter, poor isolation, blah blah). I don’t even know what fun measurement experiments to design and understand wth is happening here. I would not be surprised if there is some harmonic distortion us tube heads prefer and some solid state lovers hate. Or just better timing without reclocking. Or delicious placebo (Unlikely, but hey, many do bottle and sell it).
I would say very likely, rather...

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
To those who asked why not just use a cheap DVD player to play your CDs. I just bought a $50 DVD player to play the few DVDs I have. I was curious to hear how a CD would sound played through it in comparison with the $500 (gasp!) Cambridge Audio transport I usually use. In terms of expectations, I actually wanted it to sound just as good. It sounded awful. Granted I had to pass the HDMI output into a deembedder so as to access my DAC so perhaps that screwed up the bits. The Cambridge is not up for sale.
Not the best comparison - I've never tried that, but I am sure going from HDMI would give less than optimal results. I use some inexpensive DVD players in some of my rigs, and they can sound fine, either using the internal DAC or coming out via optical or coax to an external DAC. My main downstairs system uses a Sony UHP-H1 player that I can use for DVD with the TV or for CD, SACD playback. There's a cheap silver Samsung player I use often, I see that model in thrift stores quite a bit...it's slim, has decent front of unit buttons in addition to the remote, and a good tray with no wiggle. Another good bet.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chester

I think it could sell ok at this price. To the types of people who drop 500 on a usb to spdif converter, this probably seems like good value. The number of people in the market for a CD player will be its limiting factor I expect.

I would probably buy one, if it tested well and they did it in all black. That silver tray is a No from me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A/B test it like I did for a while and you’ll understand why I said “unlikely”. There is an audible, obvious difference.
cognitive biases result in very clear and audible obvious differences. Even when there is nothing in the soundwaves reaching your ears to create that difference.

Here is an example. Even when you know how your brain is being deceived, you still can't stop it happening.

jomo

I think a Schiit transport in the $400-500 range might have done well. I can't imagine they will sell many at the price level they chose...
A Schiit CD transport at that price would have to be made in large quantities, have a lower end transport and be made overseas, which is not inline with their success formula . There are plenty of CD players that fit this bill already. Schiit is only making 250 Urds for now to see if it sells. The tray loading transport inside the Urd is the JPL-2800 by Stream Unlimited. The same transport used by Bryston, Gold Note, Canor, DCS and others. CD players/transports costing 3 to 20X the cost of the Urd. The only player I'm aware of using a similar transport that costs less than the Urd uses the slot loader version (Pro-ject DS3), which I would not consider due to the increased potential for CD damage. Considering the Urd is largely made in the US using top tier components including a top tier transport, the Urd could be a bargain.

Godataloss

Gotta be your setup. I'm using a $30 dvd player with spdif out and it's completely transparent.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i took an old dvd player and plugged it into a random dac in my setup and i really doubt i could pass an abx on this vs. a laptop sending out the same ripped flac

btw.

we all know Hegel is a favorite brand of ASR

i'll let you work out the price

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's unnecessary. Rip the cd with a 20$ drive of use a bluray player with spidf out
Some people prefer to have a nice, well-made, solid dedicated device.

Burn1

Some want something different/unique or audio components matching from a aesthetic perspective.
I’m not in the market for this device, but seems others might be having trouble justifying price of device being discussed.

One person spending $1,300 is another spending $130 or even $13. Some just have a larger net worth or another way of saying it, few more zero’s on the end of their bank account balance. Some don’t blink at spending $1,300 on a piece of audio gear if it brings them enjoyment.
For others it seems outrageous and wasteful.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
It's not about the price tag, it's about what you are actually getting for the money, and if that once informed you believe it represents value. From a strictly economic standpoint for me, regardless of my ability to pay this doesn't represent a value. And believe me, truly high net worth individuals want the best, but they are also the cheapest groups around when it actually comes to paying for it, especially in the form of labor.

Top Bottom