• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Role Audio Skiff Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 171 93.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests, EQ, and detailed measurements of the Role Audio Skiff compact speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $495 to $545 a pair depending on finish.
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker review.jpg

Can't say there is much to look at especially since the grill is glued/screwed on and can't be removed. It is stated (I think) that it is a single 3" driver with no crossover. Enclosure is 4x6 inches and 5 inches deep -- so quite compact. Back panel shows nothing exciting:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker back panel review.jpg

Speaker came out circa 2000s but it is still being manufactured and sold.

Role Skiff Speaker Measurement
As usual, we start with our anechoic frequency responses:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker frequency response measurement.png

I expect issues with single drivers and we have them here. There are no less than four very pronounced resonances. What I can't figure out is why there is a directivity error where there would normally be a crossover to a tweeter. I would have expected the directivity index to keep going up, not dip down.

Early window reflections are not pretty:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker early window frequency response measu...png

As a result, predicted in-room response suffers as well:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker predicted in-room frequency response ...png

Speaker started to make odd sounds and compress, getting distorted before I could get up to 86 dBSPL. So I settled on testing it at 80 and 83 dBSPL when it came to distortion:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker relative THD distortion measurement.png

Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker THD distortion measurement.png

Beamwidth is highly variable, as is directivity in both axis:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker beamwidth response measurement.png

Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker horizontal directivity measurement.png

Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker Vertical directivity measurement.png

Impedance is above average at 7.7 ohm:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker impedance and phase measurement.png

The flat response to DC indicates no high pass for the little woofer. This may be the reason I was hearing severe distortion at the start of sweeps at higher SPLs.

Waterfall shows clear resonances:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker CSD Waterfall Measurements.png

Here is our step function:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker step response measurement.png

Does this indicate one or two drivers? There seems to be a second blip.

Role Skiff Speaker EQ and Listening Tests
First impression was kind of screechy so out came the EQ:
Role Skiff Near-field point source single driver speaker Parametric EQ.png

Yes, it is by far more filters than I have ever deployed in a speaker. Despite the quantity, the difference is subtle since I left broad areas intact. The immediate difference with EQ is better clarity and more balanced sound. With the filters in place, I say about 40% of my tracks were listenable and pleasant. Anything with bass would upset the applecart as you can imagine. I performed a lot of tuning in bass and midrange response and got what you see.

Sensitivity of the speaker is quite low so took a lot of power to drive. At the same time, there is a cliff after which distortion sets in.

Conclusions
Once again we have a manufacturer wanting to break the laws of physics. I say they seem to have a decent driver as far as power capability is concerned but otherwise, the concept fails in frequency response as the driver breaks up/resonates. With power of eq we can salvage what is there but I can't see a reason to make it worthwhile unless you really needed such a small speaker.

I can't recommend the Role Audio Skiff.

Manufacturer Specifications:

Single-way compact loudspeaker.
3.5" magnetically shielded paper cone full-range driver.
Rated frequency response: 125Hz - 20kHz (-6dB).
Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal (min. 6.5 Ohm).
Efficiency: 88dB 1 watt/m.
6" x 4" x 5", 3.51bs each.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Role Audio Skiff.zip
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it is according to https://roleaudio.com/skiff

True point source
Magnetically shielded
Perfect time coherence
Superior ElectricTM five-way terminals
True minimum phase
Cast frame full-range transducer
Omnimount 10.0 Series bracket retainer

and

represents the holy grail in loudspeaker design. It uses a single full range driver which means it is a true point source, it is perfectly time coherent, minimum phase, and has no phase or driver integration problems. The Skiff is simply one of the most accurate loudspeaker you can find at any price.
can fill most rooms with large scale, accurate, full range, non-fatiguing music with surprising bass response.

and has even 2 glowing reviews :p

read full Bound for Sound review of Skiff

read full enjoythemusic.com review of Skiff

5801dd95caeb56ba8d640aa375728e9b.gif

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I like full range speakers but the manufacturer should equalize in treble and damp the resonance. All this can be done passive in the speaker itself.
But using a speaker like this for bass is nonsense. It must be combined with a Woofer delivering Bass up to 300Hz and a steep crossover.

As Full Range drivers normally have no phase issues in the region between 1000 and 4000Hz they are able to deliver voices just great :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good job on the test Amir.:)
I say what has already been said and will be said several times in the future in the thread. $500 = Why?

We have had this discussion over and over. There are many good 3-4 inch broadband divers that work great as midrange drivers in three-way speakers. Use them for that but don't let them fight by themselves. They need help from more drivers.

BUT IF you now insist on using only a 3-4 inch element, buy a cheap good driver or mount them yourself in a box. It will be MUCH cheaper than $500. And to make things better, but far from optimal, plug in a sub together with them.:)

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
500 dollars a pair? This is nota a typo?
I don't get it.

why buy a single unit if you can buy a pair for $100 $50 more - I believe this is the decoy effect

index.php

I love also that for $500 and proudly "Handcrafted in the USA" they didn't even put one second of an effort to get that sticker kind of straight.

marvel-you-had-one-job.gif
wage is so high, no body has time for a straight sticker

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I like full range speakers but the manufacturer should equalize in treble and damp the resonance. All this can be done passive in the speaker itself.
But using a speaker like this for bass is nonsense. It must be combined with a Woofer delivering Bass up to 300Hz and a steep crossover.

As Full Range drivers normally have no phase issues in the region between 1000 and 4000Hz they are able to deliver voices just great :)
You wrote your post before mine. I missed it. We basically say the same thing.:)

If you don't want to build something, as I mentioned in my last post, and want some nice small satellite speakers at a good price, buy a couple of used Kef Eggs instead. By the way, it would be really fun if Amir tests a couple of such eggs.

Tangband

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening tests, EQ, and detailed measurements of the Role Audio Skiff compact speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $495 5o $545 a pair depending on finish.
View attachment 312769
Can't say there is much to look at especially since the grill is glued/screwed on and can't be removed. It is stated (I think) that it is a single 3" driver with no crossover. Enclosure is 4x6 inches and 5 inches deep -- so quite compact. Back panel shows nothing exciting:
View attachment 312771

View attachment 312772
I expect issues with single drivers and we have them here. There are no less than four very pronounced resonances. What I can't figure out is why there is a directivity error where there would normally be a crossover to a tweeter. I would have expected the directivity index to keep going up, not dip down.

View attachment 312774
View attachment 312775

Speaker started to make odd sounds and compress, getting distorted before I could get up to 86 dBSPL. So I settled on testing it at 80 and 83 dBSPL when it came to distortion:
View attachment 312776
View attachment 312777

View attachment 312778
View attachment 312779

View attachment 312780

View attachment 312781

The flat response to DC indicates no high pass for the little woofer. This may be the reason I was hearing severe distortion at the start of sweeps at higher SPLs.

View attachment 312782

View attachment 312783

View attachment 312784

Yes, it is by far more filters than I have ever deployed in a speaker. Despite the quantity, the difference is subtle since I left broad areas intact. The immediate difference with EQ is better clarity and more balanced sound. With the filters in place, I say about 40% of my tracks were listenable and pleasant. Anything with bass would upset the applecart as you can imagine. I performed a lot of tuning in bass and midrange response and got what you see.

Sensitivity of the speaker is quite low so took a lot of power to drive. At the same time, there is a cliff after which distortion sets in.

Conclusions
Once again we have a manufacturer wanting to break the laws of physics. I say they seem to have a decent driver as far as power capability is concerned but otherwise, the concept fails in frequency response as the driver breaks up/resonates. With power of eq we can salvage what is there but I can't see a reason to make it worthwhile unless you really needed such a small speaker.

-----------

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
They dont tell or show any pictures of the driver and I wonder why ?

However , being more positive , the peak at 1.7 kHz might be deliberate and might compensate for the stereosystem effect that occurs when listening to two speakers in stereo. This might be a reason some people like the sound from these ?

Tangband

Major Contributor
You wrote your post before mine. I missed it. We basically say the same thing.:)

If you don't want to build something, as I mentioned in my last post, and want some nice small satellite speakers at a good price, buy a couple of used Kef Eggs instead. By the way, it would be really fun if Amir tests a couple of such eggs.
They are good, agree.:)
Half a year ago I had some thoughts of building my last DIY speaker with a kef uni q driver.

However - a good crossoverfree speaker has ( despite the often bad measurements ) some advantage in the usual crossover region where everything is playing in phase .

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$500 for a pair of tiny satellites? (For that is what they are)

For 80% of that, Logitech will sell you a full, powered 5.1 system - and I'd be prepared to bet the satellites are every bit as good as these.

can fill most rooms with large scale, accurate, full range, non-fatiguing music with surprising bass response.
A fairly weaselly unfalsifiable claim. I had a look, and they made precious few claims that weren't technically correct. (minimum phase, single driver, phase aligned etc) but said nothing about the sound.

Most of their marketing babble is selectively quoted from various reviews. Cleverly they can say "but that's what the reviewer said"

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However - a good crossover free speaker has ( despite the often bad measurements ) some advantage in the usual crossover region where everything is playing in phase .
A good loudspeaker and crossover design ensures that this happens also that crossover region of a multi-way speaker.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening tests, EQ, and detailed measurements of the Role Audio Skiff compact speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $495 5o $545 a pair depending on finish.
View attachment 312769
View attachment 312771

View attachment 312772

View attachment 312774
View attachment 312775

View attachment 312776
View attachment 312777

View attachment 312778
View attachment 312779

View attachment 312780

View attachment 312781

View attachment 312782

View attachment 312783

View attachment 312784

Conclusions

-----------

The slanted label on the back speaks for itself, at least for me.
And then they had the nerve to write "handcrafted in the USA" on it. :facepalm:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Score is -1.1 and would be 3 with a subwoofer. An EQ can help by boosting the score to 2.8 (and 6.4 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ).

This EQ optimizes for a higher score. It flatten the On Axis, Listening Window and PIR at the same time, so let's call it a success.
It will not make it a much better speaker.
filters_eq.jpg

Code:
EQ for Role Audio Skiff computed from ASR data
Preference Score -1.13 with EQ 2.68
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.25
Dated: 2023-09-22-08:56:09

Preamp: -4.2 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc   105 Hz Gain +3.00 dB Q 1.28
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   204 Hz Gain -4.96 dB Q 1.49
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   211 Hz Gain +2.37 dB Q 0.25
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  1288 Hz Gain +3.00 dB Q 3.00
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  1480 Hz Gain -8.45 dB Q 3.00
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  1586 Hz Gain +2.74 dB Q 1.62
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  9648 Hz Gain -8.84 dB Q 1.66

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
The slanted label on the back speaks for itself, at least for me.
And then they had the nerve to write "handcrafted in the USA" on it. :facepalm:
Besides that, what's the point of having a box where the Serial Number should be written if nothing is written in that box?:oops:
Screenshot_2023-09-18_100313.jpg
Edit:
This is what Amir said about #29 in this thread: I erased that.
So that explains that thing.:)

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Thanks for another excellent review.
'You cannae change the laws of physics, captain.'

Top Bottom