• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am sorry if this question was answered before, but what the experiance people have with the Magnius channel balance and the general experiance when used as a preamp. Some people seemed to have issues. I am planning to get some iLoud MTM and was wondering if I should factor in a pre-amp in the cost or if the magnius will do just fine.
I never had any issues with channel balance and I have my signal going through it on the way to my power amp.

flyzipper

I am sorry if this question was answered before, but what the experiance people have with the Magnius channel balance and the general experiance when used as a preamp. Some people seemed to have issues. I am planning to get some iLoud MTM and was wondering if I should factor in a pre-amp in the cost or if the magnius will do just fine.

This is the only thing that would bother me...

How do the preamp outputs work? Do they mute when you plug headphones in?
Nope. They're on all the time.

No switch, and no auto mute when headphones are connected, means you'll need another way to mute your iLoud monitors.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Me seeing the little Topping L30 at the top of the list :)

boselover61

Hello im a bit confused. Which xlr cable do i need for my akg k371 to connect to this amp? 1/4 performance isnt great so which cable do i need for better performance? I got a balanced dac to go along with this and i understand i need to connect the xlr outs from the dac to the xlr ins on this amp

Veri

Master Contributor

armigo

Forum Donor
I never had any issues with channel balance and I have my signal going through it on the way to my power amp.
This is the only thing that would bother me...

How do the preamp outputs work? Do they mute when you plug headphones in?
Nope. They're on all the time.

No switch, and no auto mute when headphones are connected, means you'll need another way to mute your iLoud monitors.

Thank you guys for the feedback. As long as the the channel balance is good I think I can live with the short comings.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This may have been answered earlier in this thread but I’m hoping someone will be kind and answer anyway.. If I were to use an XLR —> 1/4” adapter so that I don’t have to buy new balanced headphone cables for my entire collection of headphones, does the 120db SINAD drop to the mid 90’s? Or would the performance stay the same?!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This may have been answered earlier in this thread but I’m hoping someone will be kind and answer anyway.. If I were to use an XLR —> 1/4” adapter so that I don’t have to buy new balanced headphone cables for my entire collection of headphones, does the 120db SINAD drop to the mid 90’s? Or would the performance stay the same?!
There is a 1/4 inch output on this amp. You will be better off using that with your 1/4 inch cables than an adaptor. If you want the performance of the XLR output from this amp, you will need XLR cables.

Veri

Master Contributor
If I were to use an XLR —> 1/4” adapter so that I don’t have to buy new balanced headphone cables for my entire collection of headphones
That's not how that works, you are stripping the balanced part off the XLR output when you use unbalanced adapter/cable, you will not get the 120dB SINAD, nope. Worse still, shorting the balanced part can break the amp immediately or over time, it's a dangerous thing to attempt.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Schiit Magnius Balanced (input and output) headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by the company and costs US $199 direct plus shipping.

The sample I received is in black which gives a serious look to the new amp:
View attachment 77594

There is an input selector (balanced or XLR) and gain with dual settings.

The volume control is a bit stiff but not a problem.

Back panel shows what you expect:

View attachment 77595

The AC transformer is hefty in size and gets a bit warm in use. Do not attempt to replace it with a DC power supply. AC power is used so that it is easier and higher quality to generate both positive and negative voltages needed for the amplification. So you need to get the right one for your country's voltage.

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz and see what comes out of the unit. I started with 1/4 inch headphone output while feeding the Magnius XLR input:
View attachment 77597

Hmmm. This is no good. We have headphone amplifiers clocking at SINAD (sum of noise and distortion) at 120 dB and here we are short of that by good bit at 94. And the issue is that second harmonic spike. I figured Schiit would not send me this unit if it did not measure well so I checked the XLR balanced headphone output and Magnius came to life:

View attachment 77598

Distortion sank down to less than 140 dB and SINAD is now playing with the rest of the record setters:

View attachment 77599

I confirmed the above with the company and they confirmed that is expected performance.

From here on, the tests are all with balanced output.

At unity gain like above, signal to noise ratio is excellent (left bar charts):
View attachment 77600

When reducing the output way down to just 50 millivolts, performance is above average:

View attachment 77601

Frequency response is flat way beyond audible band which is expected and great:

View attachment 77602

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows the same very low distortion levels:

View attachment 77603

Distortion versus frequency is very low and consistent:
View attachment 77604

Balanced Headphone Amplifier Power Measurements
Headphone amplifiers subjectively live or die by how much power they generate and how clean they. The are brand new tests with optimized wiring harness and best settings in the analyzer. Let's start with 300 ohm load:

View attachment 77606

Using low gain, the noise and distortion levels are state of the art. You get 57 milliwatts which should be enough to drive many headphones.

If you need more power, high gain mode produces whopping 762 milliwatts of power that is competitive with likes of Drop THX 789.

Going the other extreme with a 50 ohm load to see how much current is available we get a similar picture:

View attachment 77607

As before low gain produces the best performance with max of 1/3 of watt. Unleashing the high gain mode produces whopping 4.2 watts. There is some rise in distortion at the limit but it is still at 112 dB which is inaudible for any practical purpose.

Headphone Amplifier Channel Balance
The Magnius doesn't have the ultra low, negative gain setting that some other amps have so you may rely on the lower settings of the volume control for sensitive IEMs making this test important:

View attachment 77608

Performance is good to about 30 dB of attenuation but after that, the error climbs exponentially with the level dropping the same way.

Subjective Listening Tests
Only my very low sensitivity, low impedance Ether CX headphones were ready to go with balanced cables so I tested with that. In low gain, Magnius was able to drive the Ether CX to near deafening levels. The sound was exceptionally clean with authoritative bass. Indeed it is so good I have been enjoying listening to my audiophile playlist as I have been typing this review!

Switching to high gain spanked the Ether CX like nobody's business. I could easily get the drivers to bottom out and start to crackle!!! I only did this for a second or two so please don't try to do it yourself as you risk hearing damage. I am here to do stupid things so you don't need to!

Conclusions
For a balanced input and output the Schiit Magnius provides superb performance objectively and subjectively at incredibly low price for this class. XLR input is very useful to avoid common ground loops especially in desktop products connected to computers where such annoyances and pop up. If you have a balanced DAC like Schiit's own Modius, you have found the perfect match for it.

Performance using 1/4 inch headphone is ordinary from measurement point of view so I don't recommend getting it just to use it that way although the benefit of XLR input remains.

Overall, I am very pleased to recommend the Schiit Magnius balanced headphone amplifier. It breaks the price/performance barrier for exceptional performance at budget pricing.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I had to set the alarm to get up "early" to post this review post announcement. I do a lot for you all but getting up early is not one of them! So I expect to get paid and paid good for not getting enough sleep by having you donate what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Could someone do me favor and explain what this means?

Why is the higher number better? Is the difference lets between L30 and Magnius auditable?

When would you notice this difference? Is this for IEMs? Very low output power to cleanliness?

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• 2020-12-21 21_12_08-Window.png
    2020-12-21 21_12_08-Window.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 114

Helicopter

Major Contributor

Why is the higher number better? Is the difference lets between L30 and Magnius auditable?

When would you notice this difference? Is this for IEMs? Very low output power to cleanliness?

Thank you everyone.
It means that the output has a higher amount of the original input signal compared to the amount of added noise. If it is low, it could be like turning on a fan... adding noise, which is bad.

L30 and Magnius are both way beyond audibility. The noise they add is much less than 1% of the minimum amount any person could hear with music.

L30 is better for IEMs because it has more gain control, but the SN ratio difference only matters as proof on paper that they made a great product. Magnius is really for using XLR headphones. It is a beast. L30 is more comparible to Magni Heresy in form, function and price.

These are all excellent products.

Veri

Master Contributor

Thank you everyone.
It is the resolution; signal over noise at very low volume. Useful for IEMs. but >=85 dB should be really good already. 96dB is perfection (full 16-bit transparency at low volume). When this measurement is quite low, it would usually mean there is noise at low volumes (rather than a distortion limit).

Last edited:

amb223

Hi guys. I read plenty of articles and reviews, and my conclusion is that one of the mayor improvements of having a balanced DAC/Amp is the amount of power that a balanced amp can deliver to the headphone. My gear right now is a Magni 3/Modi 3 which works superb with a Philips Fidelio X2, and I was considering selling my Schiit stack and move to the next level: Magnius/mobius stack, and get a new headphone.

My question is: I read so much about this topic, and I would like to confirm with the wise people of this forum if a low impedance headphone, such as my Philips Fidelio X2 or a planar magnetic (im considering getting the M1060), is it too stupid to use a balanced output with a low impedance such as 16/32 ohms?

Also, I have been investigating about the cable prices. Im a big fan of detachable cable headphones, but it is crazy how much it cost a 3,5 TRRS end for the headphone to a 4-pin XLR to amp. Do you recommend any sites in Europe which sells good quality cables, so It's possible to use any headphone with the balanced stack? Because I ASSUME that swapping the (insert headphone input connection) - 3,5 trs cable from a conventional Headphone to a (inser headphone input connection) to 4-pin XLR.

I will be waiting for your tips and experience, which I will use to dig deeper in the damn rabbit hole I threw myself when I decided to pursue a slightly better piece of audio gear.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi guys. I read plenty of articles and reviews, and my conclusion is that one of the mayor improvements of having a balanced DAC/Amp is the amount of power that a balanced amp can deliver to the headphone. My gear right now is a Magni 3/Modi 3 which works superb with a Philips Fidelio X2, and I was considering selling my Schiit stack and move to the next level: Magnius/mobius stack, and get a new headphone.

My question is: I read so much about this topic, and I would like to confirm with the wise people of this forum if a low impedance headphone, such as my Philips Fidelio X2 or a planar magnetic (im considering getting the M1060), is it too stupid to use a balanced output with a low impedance such as 16/32 ohms?

Also, I have been investigating about the cable prices. Im a big fan of detachable cable headphones, but it is crazy how much it cost a 3,5 TRRS end for the headphone to a 4-pin XLR to amp. Do you recommend any sites in Europe which sells good quality cables, so It's possible to use any headphone with the balanced stack?

-It sounds like you expect balanced will somehow give you some next level of performance. This is not true, it will only be capable of delivering more power. Read this: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

-As you suspect, such sensitive headphones do not play particularly well with the higher output level of a balanced amp. You will sit at a really low level of the volume knob. And for what gain, exactly? It will not somehow sound better. You're chasing the audio dragon, here ;) so to speak.

-Finally, balanced does not work that way at all. You cannot buy a cable to use a 4-pin output with "any headphone" since the pin-out is incompatible. Do not look for it, it will not work, will short the amp and possible kill it. A balanced amp needs a compatible balanced headphone wiring. If your headphone does not directly support it (has single ended wiring and/or has no removable cable), it would need soldering/modification by someone who knows what he's doing. I repeat, you cannot use a balanced amp with just "any" headphone, if only it were so easy.

amb223

-It sounds like you expect balanced will somehow give you some next level of performance. This is not true, it will only be capable of delivering more power. Read this: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

-As you suspect, such sensitive headphones do not play particularly well with the higher output level of a balanced amp. You will sit at a really low level of the volume knob. And for what gain, exactly? It will not somehow sound better. You're chasing the audio dragon, here ;) so to speak.

-Finally, balanced does not work that way at all. You cannot buy a cable to use a 4-pin output with "any headphone" since the pin-out is incompatible. Do not look for it, it will not work, will short the amp and possible kill it. A balanced amp needs a compatible balanced headphone wiring. If your headphone does not directly support it (has single ended wiring and/or has no removable cable), it would need soldering/modification by someone who knows what he's doing. I repeat, you cannot use a balanced amp with just "any" headphone, if only it were so easy.

Actually, the first thing that I stated was that I see that the main advantage of having a balanced dac/amp is the amount of power they deliver, rather than "better sounding".

I got a little confused about using different wires to "make" a headphone balance", as I saw that some brands like Sennheiser sell a cable to replace just like this product: https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd650-xlr-connecting-cable.html which lead me to the thought that a simple swipe of cable would be enough.

That said, I appreciate your quick answer and clear explanation :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I got a little confused about using different wires to "make" a headphone balance", as I saw that some brands like Sennheiser sell a cable to replace just like this product: https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd650-xlr-connecting-cable.html which lead me to the thought that a simple swipe of cable would be enough.

Short explanation, the Sennheiser cable has two ends at the headphone as you see, which means that there are suitable conductors in both the left and right side. Headphones that terminate on only one side, could have only the conductors for single ended compatibility, but it is possible to have a balanced connection from only one side, you would need to look it up on a headphone by headphone case. There are plenty of headphones (beyerdynamics, AKGs, Grados, ...) that need modification before it could work. There's even some online services offering just this:)

Helicopter

Major Contributor

Also, I have been investigating about the cable prices. Im a big fan of detachable cable headphones, but it is crazy how much it cost a 3,5 TRRS end for the headphone to a 4-pin XLR to amp. Do you recommend any sites in Europe which sells good quality cables, so It's possible to use any headphone with the balanced stack? Because I ASSUME that swapping the (insert headphone input connection) - 3,5 trs cable from a conventional Headphone to a (inser headphone input connection) to 4-pin XLR.

I will be waiting for your tips and experience, which I will use to dig deeper in the damn rabbit hole I threw myself when I decided to pursue a slightly better piece of audio gear.
The balanced schiit stack also benefits from an XLR conmection between the DAC and amp, and with XLR headphone cables, also benefits from better signal performance, but this is not a result of being balanced, it is because of Schiit's implementation. Modius has RCA and XLR outs always on, so you could replace the modi, add a magnius and keep the Heresy. That is what I did. Other than power, the benefits are probably inaudible though, and these principles (balanced amp and output has better performamce) do not apply universally to other gear.

Tks

Major Contributor
Actually, the first thing that I stated was that I see that the main advantage of having a balanced dac/amp is the amount of power they deliver, rather than "better sounding".

Yeah, that sort of cable is fine. Your post made it somewhat confusing, as if to indicate you wanted some sort of XLR termination connection from an inherently unbalanced-wired headphone. Like using an adapter to take your unbalanced 3.5mm, to an XLR connector for your amp. That would be bad.

Though the other way around is fine btw. If you have that cable for example, and then you wanted to use the 6.3mm or 3.5mm connector of an amp - you're fine to use an XLR to 3.5mm adapter like this one. But NOT something like this.

D

Deleted member 22273

Will I get 120 sinad if I use SE/RCA in and XLR HP output?

Top Bottom