• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

tjkadar

I threw together a couple graphs as it seems we still don't have a firm consensus. Viewing the thread on a small screen and trying to make sense of graphs is for a person with far younger eyes than mine.

My listening setup:
MiniDSP SHD
KEF R3s
March Audio P451 Purifi MonoBlocks
2 Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" in sealed cabinets
2 Crown XLS 1502s (bridged)
4 Tri-Trap © Corner Bass Trap
2 Monster Bass Trap with Range Limiters
12 Owens Corning 705 FRK panels

Office.jpg

PXL_20201014_165414025.jpg

MMM Measurement.jpg
100 dB Window.jpg

9radua1

New apartment. Not ideal room, close-to-wall placement, but symmetric nonetheless.

Eve Audio SC307 actives + SVS SB12 active sub. Minidsp SHD with Dirac correction up to 250 Hz. A GIK membrane bass trap in each corner.

IMG_0644.JPG

Averaged across 5 measurements L/R, 1/48 smoothing

Eve + sub.jpg

With psychoacoustic smoothing

Eve + sub psychoacoustic.jpg

Waterfall from the center L measurement, 1/48 smoothing:
waterfall.jpg

Working on trying to even out the lower midrange a bit more. Other than that, sounds very full, round and just right.

Evozero

Hi All,
Be gentle with me and my old speakers! Just getting into REW having read Amir's awesome HowTo Guide, so here are my first measurements;
Dcm Time Frame TF700, 1980's transmission line 3 way.
TF@1M.jpg

TC @LP.jpg

Both @LP.jpg

Taken with Umik1 horizontal,1m height (same as tweeter)
Any suggestions on how to address the shortcomings, and don't say burn them!

Thanks
Ian

Evozero

Chromatischism, I initially had the 90 degree cal file by mistake and it tipped up the high frequencies, these measurements were with the horizontal cal file.On axis at tweeter height.
thanks
Ian

9radua1

Chromatischism, I initially had the 90 degree cal file by mistake and it tipped up the high frequencies, these measurements were with the horizontal cal file.On axis at tweeter height.
thanks
Ian

The DCM T700 is a flat panel transmission line speaker, right? Hard to get a good bass response out of those. Or could be the crossover is broken. And have you checked the glue on the woofer surrounds? Might have come loose, if they’re not refurbished.

How are they placed in the room? as close to the wall as possible may be good to get that boundary reinforcement while also imitating a soffit mount with less interference in the bass, since they’re so shallow.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,
Be gentle with me and my old speakers! Just getting into REW having read Amir's awesome HowTo Guide, so here are my first measurements;
Dcm Time Frame TF700, 1980's transmission line 3 way.
View attachment 88151
View attachment 88152
View attachment 88153

Taken with Umik1 horizontal,1m height (same as tweeter)
Any suggestions on how to address the shortcomings, and don't say burn them!

Thanks
Ian

Something might be amiss here. What mic are you using? Does it sound horribly bright?

*Edit: saw you mentioned using the Umik1. Very weird response. Almost the opposite from left to right as I would expect.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In-room measurements should use a mic pointed at the ceiling and a 90 degree calibration.

I would also suggest using the 0 degree file with the mic pointed toward the speaker, and moved closer, to confirm if your tweeter really has a rising response or if that is measurement error.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromatischism, You were correct in thinking the cal file was wrong. I must have messed up the creation of the sound card cal file somehow?
I remeasured just a moment ago, here is with and without the sound card cal file!
View attachment 88160
Remeasured both speakers at 1M.
View attachment 88162
They look a lot better, but still!

Aha! Much better! That 3.8k dip in the left speaker is odd. That first dip around 100-150Hz is probably correctable with placement and traps.

Evozero

9radua1, I took some phots pf the room so you can see;
Room is kind of open plan, 8.4m length,4.1m width and 2.75m height. Speakers are 2.5m apart, I sit 3.5m away in my furry listening position ;)
PXL_20201016_094923539.jpg

PXL_20201016_094840410.jpg
PXL_20201016_095012800.jpg

Ignore the DIY Sub, it just adds to the problems.
Cheers
Ian

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromatischism, You were correct in thinking the cal file was wrong. I must have messed up the creation of the sound card cal file somehow?
I remeasured just a moment ago, here is with and without the sound card cal file!
View attachment 88160
Remeasured both speakers at 1M.
View attachment 88162
They look a lot better, but still!
Bingo!

Your next step would be to measure a few times in a bubble about 6-12 inches apart around where your head is when listening, and average the measurements in REW. That will give a better idea of what you really hear and smooth out the interference.

9radua1

9radua1, I took some phots pf the room so you can see;
Room is kind of open plan, 8.4m length,4.1m width and 2.75m height. Speakers are 2.5m apart, I sit 3.5m away in my furry listening position ;)
Ignore the DIY Sub, it just adds to the problems.
Cheers
Ian

Cool, thanks. Looks fine. Your main issue seems to be the dip around 150Hz. is that an average or just the main LP?

Could be the almost identical 2 to 1 room dimensions or an SBIR interference at the woofers.

Does it sound “hollow” in the upper bass or lacking “body” in the overall sound?

If you do more measurements, try to post the RT60 graph and waterfalls from L/R.

Do you have an EQ or filter plugin somewhere in the chain?

PS. When you take another measurement at the main LP, try to go to the "GD" tap in REW (group delay), press the "controls" cogwheel in the top right corner, and click "generate minimum phase". Post that graph. This tells which parts of the response are susceptible to EQ (basically the flat parts). Large dips are almost always not in that category and need placement and absorbers to mitigate - but it would help to see the graph.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New apartment. Not ideal room, close-to-wall placement, but symmetric nonetheless.

Eve Audio SC307 actives + SVS SB12 active sub. Minidsp SHD with Dirac correction up to 250 Hz. A GIK membrane bass trap in each corner
Working on trying to even out the lower midrange a bit more. Other than that, sounds very full, round and just right.

Just wondering if you ever considered setting up the speakers on one of the two side walls ?

9radua1

Just wondering if you ever considered setting up the speakers on one of the two side walls ?

yes, I tried it. It works ok, and the bass is actually more even, but I loose the good stereo image and the center image becomes diffuse. The room is an open plan thing, so the only way to get L/R symmetry is setting It up where it is now. Next step would be heavy drapes behind each speaker, I think. And another sub

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Eve Audio SC307 actives + SVS SB12 active sub. Minidsp SHD with Dirac correction up to 250 Hz. A GIK membrane bass trap in each corner.

View attachment 88147

Averaged across 5 measurements L/R, 1/48 smoothing

View attachment 88148

With psychoacoustic smoothing

View attachment 88149

Waterfall from the center L measurement, 1/48 smoothing:
View attachment 88150

Have you tried listening with the bass around 40-60Hz lowered just a tad bit? Or do you prefer it that way? Looks like ~+11dB from the rest of the FR. I think I’ve seen others have it higher up to 15dB. Of course, with loudness compensation at lower listening levels, say, ~60dB SPL for example — boosting the bass should sound perfectly okay to most.

Top Bottom