• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC Only “Thermal Issue” not “Golden Sample”

Feyire

Ok, after 2 hours of soak time, this is what I got:
Given that we have devices that improve in measured performance when warmed up over time and others that degrade, I'd really like to see this type of SINAD over time measurement became standard here at ASR.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that we have devices that improve in measured performance when warmed up over time and others that degrade, I'd really like to see this type of SINAD over time measurement became standard here at ASR.

Do we have DACs improving as they warm up? I am not well informed in the details of their low level physical implementations, but in other sensors (imaging) an increase in temperature always means an increase in dark current and ADC noise.

Feyire

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IMD hump?
It shows up but not as extreme as it does elsewhere:
SMSL M500 DAC and Headphone Amplifier IMD Warm up Audio Measurements.png

Feyire

@amirm, so the hump is not present when cold, but appears when warm? If so, that opens up Pandora's box on the IMD hump issue once again... and puts into question whether previously measured devices without the hump only did so because they were cold/colder. For example, you would need to revisit ESS DACs, but also AKM DACs again.

This will continue to be a very interesting issue to investigateo_O

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How tf??? Thanks for measuring. I was thinking like, perhaps we get to know what component that changed performance. Turns out it's unknown again.... What about other dacs that didn't have imd hump shown? :oops:

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have run this with amplifiers. Here is an example of Hypex NC400:

Hypex NC400 Amplifier One Channel Driven Warm Up Distortion Measurements.png

I don't think it pays to worry about such things. I divide the DAC SINAD into just four buckets for this reason. A few dBs here and there don't mean anything in practice.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How tf??? Thanks for measuring. I was thinking like, perhaps we get to know what component that changed performance. Turns out it's unknown again.... What about other dacs that doesn't have imd hump shown? :oops:
You guys are determined to glue me to my desk the entire weekend performing these tests. :)

I just packed everything I had into the attic to clean up my overflowing lab. So digging up old products takes a lot of effort and pain (can't stand up in the attic). I will see if I can find another instance to test.

Feyire

You guys are determined to glue me to my desk the entire weekend performing these tests. :)

I just packed everything I had into the attic to clean up my overflowing lab. So digging up old products takes a lot of effort and pain (can't stand up in the attic). I will see if I can find another instance to test.

You said that Topping claimed they definitively fixed the hump issue on the D50S, which you confirmed with a measurement.

It would be really interesting to see a new set of measurements on that device with the SINAD over time chart as well as including IMD measurements over time to see if the hump re-appears at a later stage or not.

Feyire

1575759174978.png

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Being a silent reader on these forums for a few months now and just had to create an account so i can say i was here when this thriller happened :D

Also thank you for all the work and your measurements!

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Well my m500 has been on all day and sounds awesome right now, so for all practical purposes, these deviations are moot.

Regardless, thanks for all the efforts. Your work will definitely push the technology forward even further.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Whatever way you look at it, all testing going forward needs to be at stabilized operating temperature after an hour (graphs seem to show that would be sufficient).

Manufacturers will scream tests results are not typical of real-world usage otherwise.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What hardware version do you have @amirm?

Top Bottom