• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 384 83.7%

• Total voters

Falco

Forum Donor
Hello guys!
Finally I've connected SU-1 to my android phone and Xduoo MT-602 headphone amp and... Signal won't come from phone to dac. Tried it with various cables. Connected my PC - everything is fine, it works, but no connection with mobile phones! Tried few... What can be wrong?
Just a question, but does your phone work with other dacs? Maybe USB dac use is unsupported in your phone?

Loftrocket

Yes, both phones worked well with my previous SMSL M3. So I'm confused a little bit because of that fact...

Haruko

Hello guys!
Finally I've connected SU-1 to my android phone and Xduoo MT-602 headphone amp and... Signal won't come from phone to dac. Tried it with various cables. Connected my PC - everything is fine, it works, but no connection with mobile phones! Tried few... What can be wrong?
make sure you have USB selected on DAC "duh", mine works both with generic charging usb c usb c cable and with oem smsl cable with otg usb a to usb c reduction. even digital volume control works with phone... my phone is Samsung Galaxy S23

DSJR

Major Contributor
this is exactly what i came here to say lol ! This thing is very bright. Almost dazzlingly so,
I'd not say it's bright - just honest....

If it's an issue, look elsewhere, especially rough tweeters. If the sound goes off at high levels, look at the amp maybe?

Haruko

Believe me, I'm not that dumb.
yes i believe you that's why i said "duh", i tried 3 more devices, 1 android 13, 1 tablet android 13, and one xiaomi redmi with android 12. the redmi did not work

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello guys!
Try using a USB OTG adapter along with a USB A to C cable:
s-l400 (1).jpg

If that still doesn't work, then your phone probably cannot supply enough current to power the SU-1.
In that case, use a powered USB hub, or a USB splitter like this:
5c05315df15dc2.22026222.jpg
(Delock 83176)

Loftrocket

My phone connected via Ddhifi TC28CPro power splitter and it's all powered by powerful phone charger.
1000015269.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
A new similar device with BT, higher SNR
1715767851545.jpeg

1715767865371.jpeg

1715767881317.jpeg

1715767918604.png

1715768000371.png

1715768014260.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
A new similar device with BT, higher SNR
One should keep in mind that whenever you see a Dynamic Range/SNR of 120+ dB on Cirrus Logic DACs, then that's with essentially Cirrus' version of ESS' Dynamic Range Enhancement turned on, where the DAC will decrease its noise floor whenever the signal level falls below a certain threshold, essentially gaming the industry-standard DR test.

It's not real Dynamic Range.

Graham849

Forum Donor
This B2 is a special SMSL product release or available widely?

Bleib

Major Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
Is this model a successor to the PO100 AK, which has disappeared from the market?
However, all SMSL products that use CS43131 have operational problems, which makes me a little worried.

The USB input on B2 uses the BT module QCC5125. Therefore, it only supports 44.1Khz and 48Khz.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Is this model a successor to the PO100 AK, which has disappeared from the market?
However, all SMSL products that use CS43131 have operational problems, which makes me a little worried.
That's too bad because DL100 will also use the DAC..

OK1

When you think about it, it's incredible performance for the price !

Thanks for this review.

The frequency response slow slope is unusual. Strange.
I highly doubt it could be audible though, even by (very) young ears.

(And, maybe, if they remove MQA support, they could make it even cheaper ?)
A few things, I'd like to discover more about this DAC.

1st these measurements look comprehensive, and impressive. Much respect for this quality of independent testing.

1. The frequency response, down 0.3dB at 20K, also gave me some concern. What is not immediately obvious to me, cos I may have missed this detail if it was contained in the report, is how loud was the signal, for the Frequency Response published on this thread, by Amir. I'm assuming these were measured at 0dBFS, i.e maximum

2. If the FR measurement was done at a lower level, say -2 dBFS, would this yield a better frequency response?

2. Does it have downloadable ASIO device drivers for Windows 10?

OK1

Try reading the review. ;)

>>>Note that you need to have a USB power supply even if you use non-USB input (it is the only source of power).<<<
If I am using a non USB digital audio source, Can I power this using an Apple USB-C mains charger, such as the one which I use to charge my mobile phone?

staticV3

Master Contributor
2. If the FR measurement was done at a lower level, say -2 dBFS, would this yield a better frequency response?
It would not. The sloped frequency response is caused by the DAC's oversampling filter, not by the high signal level.

2. Does it have downloadable ASIO device drivers for Windows 10?
Yes: https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/11.html

If I am using a non USB digital audio source, Can I power this using an Apple USB-C mains charger, such as the one which I use to charge my mobile phone?
Not sure if USB-C chargers will work. In theory yes, but USB-C can be fussy at times.

USB-A chargers will 100% work.

Top Bottom