• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundprism. Any opinion?

Davide

Looking around for speakers based on Purifi drivers I came across this Dutch manufacturer.
They have some curious technical solutions that have never been seen around (at least to me).
In particular the baffle suspension system and the Airblade tweeters (discontinued to unknown production problems).

Are they snake oil salesmen in your opinion or is there engineering behind it?

HiFi.nl
HiFi.nl (2)
Soundprism

D

Deleted member 21219

..... is there engineering behind it?

In my opinion, there are two sorts of engineering; good engineering and bad engineering.

This doesn't appear to be snake oil, but there's no way to know whether the engineering behind it is good or bad. That's where tests and measurements come in. Tests and measurements for rather conventional speaker designs is an important step. Tests and measurements for something like this, which is decidedly unconventional, is even ten times more important.

This design is dipole. There is a certain, limited (and well-known) capacity for dipole radiation to deal with the characteristics of the listening room. (There is cancellation to the sides of the radiating panel.) The fashionable designs today are mostly cardioid, in order to (theoretically, at least) deal even more effectively with the characteristics of the listening room.

Personally, I am not attracted to dipole designs. I believe there is potentially greater improvement in cardioid design. YMMV :)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom