• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The impossible decision of buying an AVR/AVP!

MLaranjeiras

I´ve got the hype for Wireworld Eclipse RCA interconnect cables for stereo, together with an Wireworld Mini Eclipse sepakers cables. But for HT, a good generic brand AWG 14 OFC cable works just fine.

OP
K

Kostas

Thank you all for your recommendations! Since I don't have to worry too much about XLRs I could save a few hundred bucks and go for an AVR instead.

I ll have to decide whether to go for the 3700 or if Auro worth the extra few hundred bucks... You see I have 0 experience with 3D sound, I m not even sure If I will instal height speakers yet since I am building my system step by step so I have no idea whether I will regret not having Auro or not.

I also liked the Canton as a solution since now I have learn that by utilizing both its wired and wireless connections you can drive a proper atmos system with height speakers and everything. Unfortunately I can't find a lot of info on youtube about the 2nd gen version... I ll have to do some more digging.

I have to agree that this is driving me nuts... The main problem is that I can't save money very often for home theater equipment so I want to make sure what I am getting will do exactly what I want it to do. Once I decide which AVR to buy everything else is easy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I also liked the Canton as a solution since now I have learn that by utilizing both its wired and wireless connections you can drive a proper atmos system with height speakers and everything.

That unit has no room correction does it? That's the main thing I want from a preamp/processor.

OP
K

Kostas

That unit has no room correction does it? That's the main thing I want from a preamp/processor.
No it doesn't look like it packs room correction. Room correction is an expensive feature so I doubt they could fit it in a 650$ package. The funny thing is that if you buy it and get the dirac room correction software separately (which is the best there is) it will cost about as much as the 3700.

I just called a salesman from a small home theater store to ask him for denon prices. He told me before that If the prices increase while he already has stock of AVRs he could give it to me with the old price (1800€). Unfortunately he is selling the 4700 for 2200€, which is 600€ over the original price. I guess another option is out of the table. I mean my budget is around 2500 but that doesn't mean I m willing to throw away money...

So now I am between the 3700H, Iota avx17 (I am waiting for a review of it vs marantz before I reject it) and the Canton (only if I actually find more user feedback)

Will this or a similar used unit work for you? Only 4k and no Auro 3D though, but definitely within your budget. Fully balanced, Dirac EQ processing. Also reviewed fairly well on ASR.

Emotiva XMC-1

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently have a new 5.0 surround system with 5 active speakers and I am planning of getting a sub too. At the moment I am using the 3.5mm jack outputs from my pc to drive them which is.... the worst possible way to drive such system but the only choice since I haven't decided on an AVR/AVP yet.
Since your primary source is your PC, why not consider the Topping DM7? It's only $600 and measures better than any AVR.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since your primary source is your PC, why not consider the Topping DM7? It's only $600 and measures better than any AVR.

Surround decoding can be quite challenging; I even have Atmos for HT installed and I cant tell what it does. Instructions suggest it's for bitstreaming, but I don't need the app for that and the "7.1" it delivers with a multichannel out as you're suggesting uses rear height instead of surround back. DTS has a paid decoder, but I've never tried it.

It would probably work fine with any 5.1/7.1 compatibility track, though.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Surround decoding can be quite challenging; I even have Atmos for HT installed and I cant tell what it does. Instructions suggest it's for bitstreaming, but I don't need the app for that and the "7.1" it delivers with a multichannel out as you're suggesting uses rear height instead of surround back. DTS has a paid decoder, but I've never tried it.

It would probably work fine with any 5.1/7.1 compatibility track, though.
I think that it's reasonable to assume OP already has some form of PC-based surround decoding figured out since they said they're currently using their PC to drive 5 speakers using 3.5mm jacks. Sounds like a motherboard with built in multichannel audio or a sound card to me, and the DM7 is basically a high-end USB "soundcard."

OP
K

Kostas

I think that it's reasonable to assume OP already has some form of PC-based surround decoding figured out since they said they're currently using their PC to drive 5 speakers using 3.5mm jacks. Sounds like a motherboard with built in multichannel audio or a sound card to me, and the DM7 is basically a high-end USB "soundcard."
I m driving the speakers using the integrated sound card of my pc. It's nothing fancy and the surround it offer is the most basic one. If only the companies who developed Atmos and DTS-HD allowed us to buy the license and then use a dac like the one you mentioned above to reproduce multichannel Atmos things would be much simpler.

Will this or a similar used unit work for you? Only 4k and no Auro 3D though, but definitely within your budget. Fully balanced, Dirac EQ processing. Also reviewed fairly well on ASR.

Emotiva XMC-1
Although amirm wasn't to happy about this processor I would have definitely consider it because of its price and features. Problem is that I can't seem to find a place to buy it in my country since they are more US based and only support very few EU countries.

I m driving the speakers using the integrated sound card of my pc. It's nothing fancy and the surround it offer is the most basic one. If only the companies who developed Atmos and DTS-HD allowed us to buy the license and then use a dac like the one you mentioned above to reproduce multichannel Atmos things would be much simpler.

Although amirm wasn't to happy about this processor I would have definitely consider it because of its price and features. Problem is that I can't seem to find a place to buy it in my country since they are more US based and only support very few EU countries.
His initial review was poor. His updated review was much better.

raif71

Major Contributor
When my AVR kaputs or I get a 4K tv, I will get the Yamaha RX-V385. I'm almost 100% now but will confirm when the time comes. It's cheap. Basically my current setup with the current Yamaha rx-v577 (non 4k, 7.1 spec) is 3.1 so the rx-v385 a 4K/5.1 spec. is more than sufficient.

OP
K

Kostas

When my AVR kaputs or I get a 4K tv, I will get the Yamaha RX-V385. I'm almost 100% now but will confirm when the time comes. It's cheap. Basically my current setup with the current Yamaha rx-v577 (non 4k, 7.1 spec) is 3.1 so the rx-v385 a 4K/5.1 spec. is more than sufficient.
My 'problem' is that I have active speakers so if the receiver I buy doesn't have pre-outs for all speakers it's useless to me.

raif71

Major Contributor
My 'problem' is that I have active speakers so if the receiver I buy doesn't have pre-outs for all speakers it's useless to me.
ic... my tv setup uses passive speakers but my stereo which is also my hp setup uses active speakers

SynthesisCinema

Goodday everyone,

The past couple of months I have been trying to decide on which AVR/AVP device is the best for my system and I have been struggling to find something that will suit me.

I currently have a new 5.0 surround system with 5 active speakers and I am planning of getting a sub too. At the moment I am using the 3.5mm jack outputs from my pc to drive them which is.... the worst possible way to drive such system but the only choice since I haven't decided on an AVR/AVP yet.

First I was thinking of getting the Denon 4700 but from what I learned, not only the newer models have the subpar PCM5102A Dac inside instead of the AKM but the price has also skyrocketed. This in addition to the lack of any updated measurements with the new dac forced me to stop considering it as a viable option.

Then I was looking at the Marantz processors and after thinking they might be a good choice I read their reviews here and there goes another option. Same goes for Yamaha AVRs/AVPs....

Then I learned about the iota avx17 which is a very interesting processor but there is very little info about it and only a couple of reviews. In addition to that, it lacks 8k, auro3d, imax enhanced and uses a very questionable auto eq system.

Now I am completely lost and have absolutely no idea what to do and so I desperately need your help!

This device will be used for HiFi music, movies and gaming so ideally what I need is a processor with balanced outputs which supports all the movie audio formats including auro 3d (if possible), 8K hdmi for gaming, has a good dac for music and a decent auto eq like audyssey. My budget is 2500$ max (and this is still pushing it) what would you recommend me to do?

P.S. Since 8k is useless for movies, I would be willing to go for a 4k device if it's possible to connect my pc to my tv and send audio to the receiver/AVP when gaming without any connection issues. I would also be willing to part with auro 3d if the device ticks the rest of the boxes.

Why not the Onkyo RZ-50 if you are using active speakers then you wouldn´t need to worry about the internal amplification tests which left some question marks. It comes with Dirac Live and if you purchase the more accurate Umik-1 usb mic then it`s more than likely to end up sounding better than X3700H/X4700H. I think people get too hung up on the measurements which fall below audible threshold anyway. Look example the Arcam processor review at ASR as Amir said it will sound objectively excellent due to Dirac.

OP
K

Kostas

Why not the Onkyo RZ-50 if you are using active speakers then you wouldn´t need to worry about the internal amplification tests which left some question marks. It comes with Dirac Live and if you purchase the more accurate Umik-1 usb mic then it`s more than likely to end up sounding better than X3700H/X4700H. I think people get too hung up on the measurements which fall below audible threshold anyway. Look example the Arcam processor review at ASR as Amir said it will sound objectively excellent due to Dirac.

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-RZ50-9-2CH-Network-Receiver/dp/B09D8SB7DN
I did some research on the Onkyo you recommended and found out that the company is in the process of bankruptcy. The Dirac is very, very tempting but I worry about future product support. Also, I can't find any info regarding the Dac this receiver uses and whether it has a pre-amp mode similar to the denons. If you know anything about it I would really appreciate it If you could let me know.

Regarding room correction, does anyone know how dirac compares against the Audyssey? Is it night a day difference or is the dirac just one step above?

Regarding the canton pre-amp, from what I found, it does not have a dac. It uses a PWM chip for digital to analog conversion. Does anyone know if this method can compare to a proper DAC?

I asked a salesman If the company's 30 day listen test applies to my country and he will let me know on Monday. If it does, I will give it a try and let you know how it sounds and whether there are any issues like in gen 1.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I did some research on the Onkyo you recommended and found out that the company is in the process of bankruptcy. The Dirac is very, very tempting but I worry about future product support. Also, I can't find any info regarding the Dac this receiver uses and whether it has a pre-amp mode similar to the denons. If you know anything about it I would really appreciate it If you could let me know.

Regarding room correction, does anyone know how dirac compares against the Audyssey? Is it night a day difference or is the dirac just one step above?

Regarding the canton pre-amp, from what I found, it does not have a dac. It uses a PWM chip for digital to analog conversion. Does anyone know if this method can compare to a proper DAC?

I asked a salesman If the company's 30 day listen test applies to my country and he will let me know on Monday. If it does, I will give it a try and let you know how it sounds and whether there are any issues like in gen 1.
Onkyo and its sub brands Pioneer and Integra, were sold/licenced to a partnership of Voxx and Sharp, which are financially robust - the changeover also coincided with the combination of Covid lockdowns, and the AKM factory fire - so there was mayhem throughout the distribution channel.

Voxx already owns a bunch of well regarded brands (eg: Klipsch)

I purchased an Integra DRX 3.4 early this year.... baby brother to the RZ50... with 2 less channels powered and processed, but the same ADC/DAC's and Dirac Room EQ... also 8k support and VRR etc...

It is used daily for music, home theatre and gaming

The sound quality has been a noticeable step up from my previous Flagship Audyssey based AVR - which had a better amp, but inferior room EQ.... - I use the Integra as a combo pre/receiver, as surrounds are powered internally, but I use external power amps for my mains.

Very happy with it.

During my search for a new AVR the Denon X3700 was also on my shortlist - but the Integra came in almost 30% cheaper - and it has Dirac rather than Audyssey (and Audyssey for me, has been a disappointment since 2008)

Good luck

OP
K

Kostas

the bankruptcy of Onkyo did not end the brand. products that were sold will still receive warranty. https://alpha-audio.net/2022/05/onkyo-bankrupt-but-you-wont-notice/
Oh I see, I guess the term bankruptcy has a different meaning in my mind than what it actually means nowadays! Thank you for clarifying. Do you have any information regarding the DAC the onkyo uses and whether it features a pre-amp mode?

During my search for a new AVR the Denon X3700 was also on my shortlist - but the Integra came in almost 30% cheaper - and it has Dirac rather than Audyssey (and Audyssey for me, has been a disappointment since 2008)

You are so lucky you have so many receiver options... Integra is another one I can't get in my country... Only the very big brands are available here...

That onkyo is tempting, mainly for the dirac, but the Denon packs a lot more features that I want and it's cheaper so I am leaning towards it at the moment.

If I go with the Denon, I am thinking of hiring a professional to do a proper calibration of my system manually. I would only need the auto EQ during the setup process anyways, after that it would be useless so I might as well get the machine that will do most of the things I want and calibrate it manually.

Top Bottom