• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

usern

Possible, but how do you deal with sub interfering with speaker low end? D10s does not do crossover, it sends full bw to both outputs. What sub do you want to use?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possible, but how do you deal with sub interfering with speaker low end? D10s does not do crossover, it sends full bw to both outputs. What sub do you want to use?

I don't think you need a crossover if your sub has a low pass filter and your mains have a high pass filter (like my iLoud MTMs).

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
index.php

This was looking a bit odd (bad) to me, then I noticed the date under the title is different from the dates on the other pictures - by about 2 years. The other two are the 20th or 21st of July 2020 or something... point being: all other pictures are one day or the next, while the picture above is nowhere near)

Is there a way this was accidentally grabbed instead of the result?

staticV3

Master Contributor
index.php

This was looking a bit odd (bad) to me, then I noticed the date under the title is different from the dates on the other pictures - by about 2 years. The other two are the 20th or 21st of July 2020 or something... point being: all other pictures are one day or the next, while the picture above is nowhere near)

This is the actual performance. Amir did not grab the wrong measurement by accident:
THDN-Ratio.jpg
Source

As you can see, it's only an issue if you sample to 90kHz. With human hearing (20kHz BW), it's not a problem.

Toku

Major Contributor
index.php

The date is the measurement time of the Khadas Tone Board used as a reference. For comparison, the characteristics of Topping D10s are overwritten and displayed using the graph at that time.

Falco

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have this D10s since last week and the sound quality is quite an improvement over my old Highrestech Microstreamer.

I have a question though, I've seen quite some topics on the automatic standby for this and other Topping dacs, but no easy solution yet. Unfortunately the D10s does not go in standby when not playing music. This means the display is always on.

I have the following setup: RPi 4B+ with MoOde OS powered with a Allo Nirvana PS. D10s is connected with an Audioquest forest USB cable to one of the USB 2.0 ports of the RPi. D10S is connected with proper RCA cables to my Audioengine 2+ active speakers.

As said the sound quality is good, but there are two things. I have some (low) noise on the speakers when not playing music, and the not going to standby issue of the D10s. Any advice overcome the standby issue especially? Without always powering down the RPi that is.....

Hmmm, I've done a bit of searching, will try these options when I'm home again.

Last edited:

Falco

Forum Donor
I actually figured out how to switch my Topping D10s on/off when connected to one of the USB2 ports of my RPi4B with moOde. I do it by using uhubctl

To turn off my RPi4 USB2 port (to witch the D10s is connected) I give in:
sudo uhubctl -l 1-1 -a 0

And to start again
sudo uhubctl -l 1-1 -a 1

Last edited:

dreamcast

this DAC sounds amazing such great value, complete game changer from my old one! this review made me buy it thank you!

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have this D10s since last week and the sound quality is quite an improvement over my old Highrestech Microstreamer.

I have a question though, I've seen quite some topics on the automatic standby for this and other Topping dacs, but no easy solution yet. Unfortunately the D10s does not go in standby when not playing music. This means the display is always on.

I have the following setup: RPi 4B+ with MoOde OS powered with a Allo Nirvana PS. D10s is connected with an Audioquest forest USB cable to one of the USB 2.0 ports of the RPi. D10S is connected with proper RCA cables to my Audioengine 2+ active speakers.

As said the sound quality is good, but there are two things. I have some (low) noise on the speakers when not playing music, and the not going to standby issue of the D10s. Any advice overcome the standby issue especially? Without always powering down the RPi that is.....

Hmmm, I've done a bit of searching, will try these options when I'm home again.
Maybe the Topping HS02, isolates the USB and can make it pull its power from the filtered USB Power provided by the unit. And does show measurable performance.

Mycah

New to the site, and wondering if you guys think the D10 would support my use case. I'm looking to add a turntable to my new soundbar that doesn't have analog input.

I have this guy https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at-lp120-usb which has USB output, and I was hoping to use the D10 to go straight through to the sound bar via spdiff.

First, I'm not sure if the audio output will be the same format the D10 is expecting, also I'm concerned about powering the device. Although there are power injector cables I've seen from searching this forum.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find it in my search.

Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you were hoping to connect the USB output from the turntable to the USB input of the D10s the answer is no - it won't work. USB was designed to connect a 'host' (usually a computer) to a 'device' (mouse, printer etc.) and that's how it remains for most uses. Phones and a few other things have ports that can switch between 'host' and 'device' mode. Both the D10s and the turntable are USB 'devices' so need to be connected to a 'host' like a computer.

Falco

Forum Donor
New to the site, and wondering if you guys think the D10 would support my use case. I'm looking to add a turntable to my new soundbar that doesn't have analog input.
I have this guy https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at-lp120-usb which has USB output, and I was hoping to use the D10 to go straight through to the sound bar via spdiff.

First, I'm not sure if the audio output will be the same format the D10 is expecting, also I'm concerned about powering the device. Although there are power injector cables I've seen from searching this forum.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find it in my search.

Thanks!

I haven't tested this and I'm not knowledgable enough to support, but could this be something for you? It involves a RPi with moOde in between and config moOde to accepts audio inputs.

FMWWS

I actually figured out how to switch my Topping D10s on/off when connected to one of the USB2 ports of my RPi4B with moOde. I do it by using uhubctl

To turn off my RPi4 USB2 port (to witch the D10s is connected) I give in:
sudo uhubctl -l 1-1 -a 0

And to start again
sudo uhubctl -l 1-1 -a 1
Had the same question for my D10s used as a squeezebox server, and found a solution in post 41 of the following thread by member DeLub (thanks!).

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...sb-source-ipad-and-usb-dac.25414/post-1180356

Optional: Udev rule
To make your DAC go into standby mode, you can create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/usb-power.rules. You'll have to lookup the required idVendor and idProduct for your DAC. For the Topping E30, I have:

Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="152a", ATTR{idProduct}=="8750", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

created a file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-usb-power.rules with above code which works well for my Topping D10s and this makes it go into standby mode.

Hope this helps as an alternative option.

Mycah

If you were hoping to connect the USB output from the turntable to the USB input of the D10s the answer is no - it won't work. USB was designed to connect a 'host' (usually a computer) to a 'device' (mouse, printer etc.) and that's how it remains for most uses. Phones and a few other things have ports that can switch between 'host' and 'device' mode. Both the D10s and the turntable are USB 'devices' so need to be connected to a 'host' like a computer.

I haven't tested this and I'm not knowledgable enough to support, but could this be something for you? It involves a RPi with moOde in between and config moOde to accepts audio inputs.

Yeah, I kind of figured. I know usb audio has a defined spec with protocol standards and everything https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb-audio-devices-release-40-and-adopters-agreement so I just thought maybe they could work in tandem, but I guess probably not.

My other plan is to get an ADR ( https://www.thomannmusic.com/swissonic_converter_ad_24_192.htm ) and use that with the RCA output instead of USB, which should work. I just thought maybe direct digital would be better.

Thanks guys!

Leejb1970

Quick question. Which of the d10s or d10 balanced has a better optical out when used as a bridge? Amir's test would suggest the d10 balanced. I won't be using either for it's dac.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Quick question. Which of the d10s or d10 balanced has a better optical out when used as a bridge? Amir's test would suggest the d10 balanced. I won't be using either for it's dac.
Amir said it best in his review:
Screenshot_20240116-175636_Chrome.png

JasonC331

Forum Donor
On paper, I think the SMSL P0100 Pro seemed to outperform and have a lower cost.

Top Bottom