• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

zdykstra

Figures, anyone successfully update one of these Topping bits of kit from a linux box?
I did a cursory search and didn't find much information. Given that they have warnings about bricking your device by flashing the wrong firmware, I'm very hesitant to experiment on my just-shipped device.

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
I played with topping tune for a few minutes, and it seems ok. the one thing I immediately noticed, is that there is no way to set the slope of a high pass filter.

The manual on the official website is better than what was on the fcc site.

However to me this still reads like you can only have one preset/configuration on the devise at a time, and all you can do it turn it on and off.

View attachment 356128
To ask a basic question Topping Tune is for the D50III product exclusively? Thanks so much.

OP

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Next up there will be a D90III D with PEQ.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What amount of offset is ok
On a DAC output?
0mV.
Don't forget that any DC will be amplified down the chain,multiple time if the devices that follow won't block it.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Hi @Rja4000
How large is the DC offset you get for your D50III?
mine is 0.14mV & 0.37mV for RCA out and 0.8mV & 0.46mV for TRS output.
Is TRS offset differential or relative to ground? The latter doesn't matter very much unless it is so large that it overloads op-amps. The differential receiver would just cancel it.

Last edited:

Aveit

On a DAC output?
0mV.
Don't forget that any DC will be amplified down the chain,multiple time if the devices that follow won't block it.
I'm asking and forgive me for going off topic about a class a/b Yamaha rs202d which has 41mv across both speaker outputs l-r channels.

I think it's in spec but the manual isn't plain to understand.
I've had speakers blow recently causing me to check as I thought it on the high side of the normal 50mv limit.

I'm not sure if it's normal for this amplifier as DC offset can be higher on this type apparently.

I'm yet to find anyone with an answer.
It has me not daring to use an expensive pair of speakers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-080123.png
    Screenshot_20240429-080123.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 14

Aveit

I'm new so forgive me I think I've hijacked the thread by searching for DC offset in the search bar.

My problem is different but if you can help please do.
I've not gotten an answer from my usual crowd on the "what hifi forum" so thought it might be better to post within this type of forum more akin to the technical side of things.

I've pasted over the question directly from the other forum but anything you think could help would be greatly appreciated.

I realise that DC offset spec deviates from amp to manafacturer etc but I'm not sure if I'm making sense of the pictured information.

I decided to meter the terminals on the Yamaha after blowing a pair of mission mx3s on all four drivers.
The law of averages has me suspicious as for all four to go at the same time is abnormal although I suppose not impossible.

The usual paranoia ensued as usual and the late night OCD head scratching commenced.
I decided to measure the DC offset expecting around 20mv as usual but found a uniform 40mv across all the speaker terminals.
(I've heard more DC offset is found with class a/b amps)

It's late and I've just popped the lid back on after finding it's a non adjustable amp whilst fishing the speaker terminal spring out from inside the amp that I'd pushed in with the multi meter probe

I know that up to 50mv is usually deemed acceptable and that the higher quality amps are much lower.
I tested my 30 plus yr old pioneer a400 and got only 4.2mv left channel and 2.5mv right.

That caused me to track down the service manual for the Yamaha RS202d and from what I can make out 27-136mv is normal but it's not exactly clear.

I find it on the high side which has me questioning things.

I have attached a picture of the service manual and would really appreciate your insight.
Am I reading it correctly?
It's late and it's possible I'm reading it wrong.

Is 40mv considered ok on such an amp.

As some of you know the Yamaha is within my second set up with the pioneer a400 via an amp/speaker switching box but after purchasing the new speakers (fayne audio) for my primary hifi as mentioned on another post I'm planning on moving the QA 3050i they've replaced into this system thus replacing the blown mission mx3s.

I'm now pondering even though my common sense dictates otherwise that 40mv DC offset could of contributed to the earlier failure of the said mission mx3s.

Anyway please see the attached screenshot, any advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-080123.png
    Screenshot_20240429-080123.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 10

VientoB

Since the D50 III measures so well you have to wonder why the D90 III is so much more expensive.

yys310

Is TRS offset differential or relative to ground? The latter doesn't matter very much unless it is so large that it overloads op-amps. The differential receiver would just cancel it.
Differential
I'm new so forgive me I think I've hijacked the thread by searching for DC offset in the search bar.

My problem is different but if you can help please do.
I've not gotten an answer from my usual crowd on the "what hifi forum" so thought it might be better to post within this type of forum more akin to the technical side of things.

I've pasted over the question directly from the other forum but anything you think could help would be greatly appreciated.

I realise that DC offset spec deviates from amp to manafacturer etc but I'm not sure if I'm making sense of the pictured information.

I decided to meter the terminals on the Yamaha after blowing a pair of mission mx3s on all four drivers.
The law of averages has me suspicious as for all four to go at the same time is abnormal although I suppose not impossible.

The usual paranoia ensued as usual and the late night OCD head scratching commenced.
I decided to measure the DC offset expecting around 20mv as usual but found a uniform 40mv across all the speaker terminals.
(I've heard more DC offset is found with class a/b amps)
I guess you can multiple the DC output of the DAC with the gain or just measure the final output of the amp.
Mine is 1200AS2 with 26dB of gain but I'm using PA driver so the power handling is quite high.
Mine is 0.37mV * 400 = 0.148 V....not quite good and I might use a attenuator before feeding it into the amp.

I'm not sure if my amp is DC coupled or AC coupled. For AC coupled system the DC output from DAC shouldn't be a problem.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Well it’s clear it has more inputs and features but those to not cover the price difference, do they?

It's more than that:

1) the screen is much bigger, and multi colored
2) the enclosure is significantly larger
3) generally speaking more components means more time spent assembling, and running QA tests
4) generally speaking the closer you get to a companies top tier products the higher the profit margin

yys310

FYI:The D90III I got has 60uV and 15uV DC offset at XLR output.
Haven't check the RCA output yet.

Top Bottom