• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi,
I have this adapter from my old router:
TCAnOVNMvOaj5CfcSQlp7gveSBPZSCOcRwmi3Mf2.webp

It is DC5V 1A adapter, exact specs that E30 II needs. So, using this dedicated 5V adapter would be better or should i go for a USB adapter? Thanks.
I checked and found that the DC plug of the included power adapter is 5.5/2.1mm, which is the same size as the E30 ll. The voltage also matches DC5V.
As for the remaining problem, if you can confirm that the center pin of the DC plug is positive, you can use it.

goxhe

I checked and found that the DC plug of the included power adapter is 5.5/2.1mm, which is the same size as the E30 ll. The voltage also matches DC5V.
As for the remaining problem, if you can confirm that the center pin of the DC plug is positive, you can use it.

Thanks for the concerned response. I'll compare two pins as soon as my E30II will be delivered.

goxhe

It works like clockwork. Thanks again!

dandreye

Hi All,

Apologies if this was already discussed before. I understand that the E30 II uses some "Digital processing" for the same job (SPDIF input handling I suppose) previously done by the AK4118/CS8416 as mentioned in the Differences table near the top of its web page. Whereabouts exactly did the function of those chips move then? Compared to the CS8416 it's reportedly "more stable and better compatibility" (I guess the latter suggests there are none of those famous CS8416 specific Toslink compatibility issues with it anymore). How does it compare to the AK4118 though?

Also could anyone who has owned or tested both E30 II and E30 please characterize the differences in their actual sound w/o using any audio physics terminology? Would you call it any better overall with the E30 II? I'm thinking whether to buy an E30 II as an extra/backup unit in case my E30 dies one day.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:

CauliflowerEars

1. What's the most budget friendly* way to connect an iPhone (Lightning Out) to the Topping e30 II? Either to the Optical or USB-B Input.
2. Is there much difference in terms of Sound Quality between the 2 inputs?

* as it's for a 2nd (cheap) audio setup.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Also could anyone who has owned or tested both E30 II and E30 please characterize the differences in their actual sound w/o using any audio physics terminology? Would you call it any better overall with the E30 II?
I had both models. I have kept the E30II. Both had issues with my Toshiba TV Toslink. I have and had some other DACs which worked fine with Toslink on my TV.
I did not detect differences soundwise.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
What's the most budget friendly* way to connect an iPhone (Lightning Out) to the Topping e30 II? Either to the Optical or USB-B Input
With the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter + an USB-A to USB-B cable

staticV3

Master Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, the problem with the E30/E30 ll, where playing back PCM768kHz after DSD playback results in loud noises being played back, was not resolved even with Ver 1.04.

yhakaede

Hi all, a quick dumb question but can I use this dac for a stereo system or it is for headphone only?

Say I am having Marantz model 30, can I use Wiim pro + E 30 II as my streamer and dac? If my understanding is correct, the above setup (with a speaker) shall allow me to use airplay / tidal to play music seamlessly. It seems a much cheaper option than other popular products, say AMP A6...or did I miss anything? Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@yhakaede since the Model 30 only has RCA inputs, you could buy the WiiM Pro Plus.
It's got a fully transparent DAC, just like the Topping E50.

happylistening

Hi all, i lost my DC power jack of E30 II, and want to know the internal and external size of the power jack for replacement
if someone know and tell me, it will be grateful.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi all, i lost my DC power jack of E30 II, and want to know the internal and external size of the power jack for replacement
if someone know and tell me, it will be grateful.
The DC plug of E30 ll is Φ5.5/2.1mm in size.

Toku

Major Contributor
Guys, How is better between them and E30 II Lite?
E30 ll Lite is a model that changes the DAC chip configuration of E30 ll from dual to single.
Performance is almost the same except for a slight decrease in THD+N.

I have already purchased and am using E30 ll.
However, if I were to purchase one from now on, I would choose the E30 ll Lite.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, How is better between them and E30 II Lite?
Comparison is easy here.

Top Bottom