• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

terrys999

Doesn't matter which amazon you got it from,it's the seller that counts.
Oh yeh. Forgot that’s it’s through seller.

Personally I think vuittion should have waited until topping fixes the issues.

I had 2 duff units. I will buy again but not till the crap shoot has ended

terrys999

Is there a time frame for the fixes.
Topping were very slow to respond, the guy who worked on pa5 vanished from the forum,
He ignored us all.
Then reappear after a month or so.

There’s a section from topping that said they are addressing the issue.
The pa5 component has o be redesigned.

A component is getting hot and puff....

It’s not just something they can fix. They have to redesign a component for better tolerance.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping were very slow to respond, the guy who worked on pa5 vanished from the forum,
He ignored us all.
Then reappear after a month or so.

There’s a section from topping that said they are addressing the issue.
The pa5 component has o be redesigned.

A component is getting hot and puff....

It’s not just something they can fix. They have to redesign a component for better tolerance.
Is there an actual statement from Topping on this, or are you speculating?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s on this forum. Iam sure , they said a fan wouldn’t help as it’s a component that needs to be re manufacturied. Getting hot.
Remanufactured and redesigned might not be the same thing. (I would read it as replaced)

tiramisu

I would like a PA5 but until they recognize and correct the fault I'm not going to pull the trigger to buy one. It simply isn't worth playing a lottery on whether the hardware will work.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is there an actual statement from Topping on this, or are you speculating?
I think these are the posts addressing it most directly. The later post is a lot less definite about having identified the source of the problem.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...owners-only-please.33293/page-25#post-1246970
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...owners-only-please.33293/page-26#post-1247958
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-e30-ii-dac-review.36028/page-4#post-1261614

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So nothing to do with a redesign then.

But a change in manufacturing process for the "components" and it is not 100% clear if they mean the PA5 as a component, or if the internal electronic components of the PA5 need a manufacturing process change.

Either way - I doubt we are seeing an accurate assessment of the situation - the statements are just too hand wavey.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I talked to couple of audio buddies about it who has stuff like accuphase. To them, part of the music listening experience is seeing the gear they have too and holding the pride that they own something really boutique. They just said no matter how good they sound it’s another class d and they don’t want it. So I am pretty’s sure it’s not gonna hurt any Hi-Fi fans. They live in their own delusional world

In the case you refer to, it is not a delusional world. They consider, as you say, "seeing the gear they have too and holding the pride that they own something really boutique" as part of their "music listening experience". So this justifies the expense.

Those that live in a delusional world are those that believe that since they paid more they get something "better sounding".

nn_in

Is it better to use a preamp between a dac and Power amp ? Iam using Ares2 dac balanced output to pa5.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Is it better to use a preamp between a dac and Power amp ? Iam using Ares2 dac balanced output to pa5.
Preamps are for adding gain and inputs. You could use a preamp if you want, but I assume if you turned your PA5 all the way up to max your speakers already would be pretty loud.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not unless you need something the preamp does.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have to say this to peeps in the UK...

While all this angst is going on as regards the PA5, we here could easily sacrifice some inaudible SINAD and try a Rega Io! Sure it's an old fashioned performance (very respectable by low cost 'popular' amps of the 80's and 90's over here), but bearing in mind UK owners of amps like these aren't headbangers and don't use silly-impedance speakers as a rule, I bet an Io would do the job really well at moderate levels and it's serviceable if it did fail in the future...

Has anyone tested to modern standards the 'baby' Denon, Cambridge and Rotel amps recently? we know the cheaper Yamaha integrateds are pretty fine really and reliable and many with 'desktop' systems would by now be using small active speakers, surely?

I look at the PA5 as a cheap little fun-box really. There's just not enough *there* to take it hugely seriously in the wide scheme of things when Crown (and cheaper, Behringer and others) make amps with real power output designed for some hard use. They're not dinky boxes though...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say this to peeps in the UK...

While all this angst is going on as regards the PA5, we here could easily sacrifice some inaudible SINAD and try a Rega Io! Sure it's an old fashioned performance (very respectable by low cost 'popular' amps of the 80's and 90's over here), but bearing in mind UK owners of amps like these aren't headbangers and don't use silly-impedance speakers as a rule, I bet an Io would do the job really well at moderate levels and it's serviceable if it did fail in the future...

Has anyone tested to modern standards the 'baby' Denon, Cambridge and Rotel amps recently? we know the cheaper Yamaha integrateds are pretty fine really and reliable and many with 'desktop' systems would by now be using small active speakers, surely?

I look at the PA5 as a cheap little fun-box really. There's just not enough *there* to take it hugely seriously in the wide scheme of things when Crown (and cheaper, Behringer and others) make amps with real power output designed for some hard use. They're not dinky boxes though...
Didn't review well here - mainly for crosstalk, and "getting damn hot" reasons.

It is also lower power, and higher priced than the PA5 - which would matter, IF the PA5 were reliable.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Didn't review well here - mainly for crosstalk, and "getting damn hot" reasons.

It is also lower power, and higher priced than the PA5 - which would matter, IF the PA5 were reliable.
Ah, I thought it was still under £400 (£379 I thought). Rega don't increase their prices unless they have to, so £420 is a large jump, at least for them. I used one for a morning into a moderate load and it was perfectly behaved. Crosstalk I can't defend, but it seems psychologically, as don't seem to mind reduced crosstalk, at least at hf (I can't link to a suitable paper though - so apologies)

Sorry I spoke up. As you were chaps :)

Top Bottom