• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

MAB

Major Contributor
It really is good when you have a working one. I think Topping has or will figure it out. $350 is nothing for that level of performance.
It's been a year though, and units still are breaking, and the warranty support is horrible. I see your tag line about NAD and your bad customer service with an M10, and two things stand out... Topping and the resellers provide at least as bad as your NAD experience. And there is a thread full of people who got the same:
The only difference is the price of an M10 vs. a PA5. And that makes Topping and the resellers look cheap, given the meager cost to ship replacements. I was one of the lucky ones, I got a refund after they lost mine when they lost it after I shipped it back to them, but it took months of emails. I guess I am one of the unlucky ones since my A30Pro also went bad after 7 months. I got my money back on that one too, after learning my lesson on the runaround on the PA5.:mad:
So, I'm not confident Topping has figured anything out. And I don't think the sellers have figured out what it means to service a warranty. And, the pace of new and nearly identical kit with high performance makes me think they move on by releasing new models, not by supporting the customers on the models they sold.

iLoveCats

But you're not paying $350 for that level of performance. You are paying $350 to roll the dice.

Personally, I was quite close to pulling the trigger on a unit, fortunately I waffled and during that period of hesitation the issues with the PA came to light. For now, Topping is a "no go" in my book. Not only for the failure rate, but also in regards to how the company handled the matter.
The vendor gave me another one after the original failed. It's still $350 plus a little shipping. Like $14. I've got a $3000 pile of nothing from NAD sitting here that they won't fix. Now THATS rolling the dice!

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
The vendor gave me another one after the original failed. It's still $350 plus a little shipping. Like $14. I've got a $3000 pile of nothing from NAD sitting here that they won't fix. Now THATS rolling the dice!
Ugh. That would make me sick. Sorry to hear that. With my Irish temper, I would have spent days, if not weeks lighting NAD up in direct correspondence and on every relevant forum accessible.

MAB

Major Contributor
OK yes, I forgot you were one of the lucky ones who got your PA5 replaced. :) So that is good.
Yeah, the NAD experience sounds terrible, and an order of magnitude higher cost to you... And no relief... I will say my experience on the PA5 from Shenzhen and the A30Pro from Aoshida were better than the NAD... I did get most of my money back, except for the $85 shipping fee on the PA5. But it took me getting really angry at the customer service, and and that just wears on you... It was all so petty.

Maciekw

Today returned to me from China repaired under warranty by Shenzhen Audio Topping PA5. And the magic is back again. :) This is because during the repair I was listening to music through the topping PA3s. It seemed to work properly, but worse than the PA5. Now I am full of fear when the repaired amplifier will fail again. :confused:

MAB

Major Contributor
Today returned to me from China repaired under warranty by Shenzhen Audio Topping PA5. And the magic is back again. :) This is because during the repair I was listening to music through the topping PA3s. It seemed to work properly, but worse than the PA5. Now I am full of fear when the repaired amplifier will fail again. :confused:
I am glad to hear this.:) Hopefully Shenzhen Audio and all of the resellers have learned a lesson on customer service. Hopefully Topping has learned more about reliability. Both needed improvement.

MAB

Major Contributor
Perhaps Topping will stop releasing new models every few months and focus more on reliability testing
Yes. This wash-rinse-repeat development cycle is likely part of the problem. Reliability is a hard-earned characteristic that requires discipline.
The resellers need to improve too, I had a horrible experience with Shenzhen, it seems they have made some changes and now understand their responsibilities on warranty and after sales service. Shenzhen isn’t alone, the other sellers need to also improve.

Entropy

FYI: Allegedly, production for the Pa5 has been halted due to "supply chain constraints." Here's a screenshot from the Apos audio support team, I'm awaiting confirmation from Hifigo on this topic as well. Hopefully, this means they'll use this as an opportunity to fix the Pa5's issue(s) if they haven't already.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 10.29.34 AM.png

Vladetz

I came very close to buying one and the matching dac. Glad I read up here. Disappointing for sure.
E50 is a good DAC anyway, you can still consider it

Eneen

Could someone measure power consumption in normal mode but when nothing plays?

Last edited:

Firespeed

Hello everyone,

Back after a year of using the E50 + PA5 duo...

I recently improved the whole thing by selling the Node 2i streamer that I replaced with an old laptop running Volumio OS (USB connection).

In terms of perceived sound quality, it's just incredible. The whole audible spectrum is rendered and I still rediscover many of my favorite tracks. The speakers and the subwoofer give me a transparency and a detailed depth of sound (all spectrum) that I had not reached with the HEGEL and the Node.

In terms of reliability, I had no problem at all. The PA5 is turned on every day, works at maximum volume (the E50 is used as a preamp) and is turned off as soon as I leave my house.

So far so good and I am a man with very happy ears!

Happy Holidays to all.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I recently improved the whole thing by selling the Node 2i streamer that I replaced with an old laptop running Volumio OS (USB connection).

In terms of perceived sound quality, it's just incredible. The whole audible spectrum is rendered and I still rediscover many of my favorite tracks. The speakers and the subwoofer give me a transparency and a detailed depth of sound (all spectrum) that I had not reached with the HEGEL and the Node.

In terms of reliability, I had no problem at all. The PA5 is turned on every day, works at maximum volume (the E50 is used as a preamp) and is turned off as soon as I leave my house.

Happy Holidays to all.
What speakers and how is sub connected/controlled?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Happy Holidays to all.
So you find running a laptop/Volumio via USB is superior in SQ to the Node 2i? If so were you using the onboard DAC on the Node?

Firespeed

What speakers and how is sub connected/controlled?
Hello Laserjock,

Speakers = JMR Folia Jubile (technical description PDF embedded here)

The sub is connected through E50's RCA output.

So you find running a laptop/Volumio via USB is superior in SQ to the Node 2i? If so were you using the onboard DAC on the Node?

Hello Rottmannash,

Yes, exactly ! It's much better ! Amir has tested both connection type :
Also, i never used the onboard DAC on the Node 2i because it has been tested by amir....: "[...] Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot [...] " (link).

New NODE is on sale and has USB out. ;)

You're right but my old ASUS Laptop costed me nothing, has a battery and offers me the same services : Spotify connect, stream my own library stored on my NAS and provide me access to all the internet radios) without depending on a proprietary brand (Volumio OS is linux based, Debian).

;)

Attachments

• folia-jubile.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Top Bottom