• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Treble and bass gain measurements

TankTop

I think it would be interesting to see measurements on classic style integrated amplifiers and pre-amplifiers that have bass and trouble gain. More specifically to see what frequencies are affected and how linear the change is.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
usually something like this (kind of standard Baxandall tone control) but there are some variations around.

main-qimg-c6b901f118eeb33fa2ea21d1eee2b5cc-lq

Last edited:
OP
T

TankTop

usually something like this (kind of standard Baxandall tone control) but there are some variations around.

And that is the goal, I was just wondering if anyone has measured to see what the actual result is?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The actual result will depend on the circuit and control positions.
Usually it is very similar to the shown plot.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Interesting. Always wondered how wide the adjustment was myself, only many manafacturers never show this. Although saying that, that graph looks like what used to be on really cheap plastic Hi-fi in the late 80's and early 90's, interesting to see that maybe their graphics on equaliser slider panel was actually roughly accurate and not just as most likely assumed just a way to make the front look a bit more busy or technical. Lol, God those things were horrendous though, I'm not an audio snob in a massive way, but those particular type things were really dire, was a strange time in Hi-fi, certainly the era where the industry really decided to divide between those with the cash and those that didn't.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And that is the goal, I was just wondering if anyone has measured to see what the actual result is?
No idea, but I'd imagine it varys pretty wildly depending on how it was implemented. There were definitely some super cheap boxes about that had like 3 sliders, lol, moving them on some did nothing except distort the sound while you moved the blooming things. My parents didn't really do music, so we had this black plastic front thing by PYE, with the speakers that were super light and whole system probably weighed a couple of kilos. I never did reach out to child line, lol, I probably should have.

Top Bottom