• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

Rate this stereo receiver:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 124 38.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 143 44.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 12.2%

• Total voters

Guerilla

Glad if useful.
Some soundbars may be excellent for music. I dont know. Active monitors more versatile for placing right for good sound at a given setting. Cheers!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Glad if useful.
Some soundbars may be excellent for music. I dont know. Active monitors more versatile for placing right for good sound at a given setting. Cheers!
That's A/B class with voltage pump (G).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the »feet« are nothing less but heavily embosses portions of the bottom plate o_O
It looks flimsy, but it works in keeping cost low and profits high. More detailed pics of the 202D (the same device, it just adds DVB radio for Europe):
They really pulled out every trick to lower cost. It's awesome.

I have a Yamaha RXv385. Is the amplifier section similar to this one?
I think so, yes, very similar. Power supply, power amp section, cooling solution, all very similar.
Obviously the RXv385 has more channels and a vastly different preamp board.
s-l1200.webp

Is the "high noise" actually a problem? Can you hear any hum if you hook it up to speakers?
I would say it's almost impossible to hear if you are 1 meter or more from the speaker, even if the speakers are high sensitivity. If you are in the market, maybe get a used R-S700 instead. You pay the same, but get the same device as the A-S700/701/801/803D, but with FM radio and pre-out/main-in.

The topology looks similar to Yamaha lower end integrated amps (e.g AS-500).
It's a step below the A-S500/501 and the A-S300/301 in fidelity, build quality and features. Both have pics in this thread:

MusicMan77

I've got an RX-495 that I bought in 1996 and it's still kicking. It's the same exact unit as this....just 28 years older. I use it to power the speakers on my front porch. It's never failed me. The matching 5-disc CD changer died a few years ago. Still hurts to this day.

Jazz

This is just like what many college students had. Including me. Mine was a Kenwood with some big Kenwood speakers, an Akai tape deck and a Technics linear turntable (still have it). For the Yamaha, just add some decent ELAC or even Yamaha bookshelf speakers, an SMSL su-1 DAC, and a WiiM mini and it is a complete streaming stereo system anyone can use in a dorm room or apartment. Maybe $700-$1000 total depending on what speakers you get. With more expensive being preferable if possible as, they are component number 1 in the chain of which to get best first. Post college, update amp… or not!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the amp should be paired with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 and a RCA to headphone cable to connect to a laptop or tablet.
The value is hard to beat.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly the combination with which I am unsatisfied
What seems to be the problem? The Wharfedales seem easy enough to drive.

dr0ss

What seems to be the problem? The Wharfedales seem easy enough to drive.
As I wrote above, it is hard to describe without using audiophile language, which I don't like to do. I can make the speakers loud with the Yamaha, but the sound lacks any presence. With the vintage 30wpc receiver it replaced, the speakers always filled the room with lovely rich sound (or at least as much as one can expect out of a pair of bookshelf speakers), even at a moderate volume setting.

alexandrul

@dr0ss could you share the receiver's exact model, please?
R-S202 is praised for its decent price, not for its sound quality (it has a THD of 0.2% and the measurements reflect that).

dr0ss

R-S202 is praised for its decent price, not for its sound quality (it has a THD of 0.2% and the measurements reflect that).
Yamaha is an R-S201, which is the same as the R-S202 except no bluetooth. If you mean the receiver it replaced, that was a Technics SA-110. (And I misspoke, the Technics was only rated 20wpc, not 30.)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but i wouldn't expect any audible issues, i wouldn't expect this one to actually sound bad. Unless you have the very best of the finest of the most high end recordings and speakers to match and a room that isn't in my city with it's high background noise.

To me this sounds like "mi olde 30WPC receiver added plenty of harmonics, but that R-S202 doesn't and thus sounds lifeless".
I could be wrong.

Zek

Major Contributor
that was a Technics SA-110
An obvious proof that not all people perceive what they hear in the same way. For me, that receiver is the worst sounding thing I've ever heard (and I've also listened to old Sony, Rotel, Marantz devices).
oldtimer.gif

DanielT

Major Contributor
Regarding Technics SA-110 vs Yamaha R-S202/R-S201.

It is not possible to directly compare a Yamaha R-S202, with its 137 watts in 4 Ohms, 104 watts in 8 Ohms with a receiver that has 20 watts (in both 4 and 8 Ohms). Plus a damping factor of 15 in 4 Ohms (Technics SA-110).

Plug them in with a pair of 4 Ohm speakers that have 85dB sensitivity or lower then that. Speakers that also dip below 4 Ohms in the lower frequencies.
Turn the volume up a good bit bit above "normal" listening volume with music that has a lot of dynamics. The small SA-110 receiver will have a hard time then, it will probably be pushed into clipping sometimes and that is hardly to be considered a pleasant experience.:oops:

Also, the Technics SA-110 is 40 years old or older. If it has been used a lot over the decades, how much gunpowder is left in it?

And if we're talking about buying used. It's not on the world map that I would buy a used Technics SA-110, which you might be able to get for around $30-40 when the used price of a few years old Yamaha R-S202/R-S201 is around $70-110. The few extra money it costs to buy such a Yamaha receiver I would not hesitate for a second to spend.:)

Power spec on Technics SA-110, only stated down to 40 Hz, why not lower than that?
Screenshot_2024-03-11_142622.jpg
For sale, a fully functional used Yamaha R-S201 for €79:

Screenshot_2024-03-11_143648.jpg

Edit:
Or fully functional:
Yamaha RS 201 audio receiver + Philips Blu-Ray player
€50
Screenshot_2024-03-11_153031.jpg

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
As I wrote above, it is hard to describe without using audiophile language, which I don't like to do. I can make the speakers loud with the Yamaha, but the sound lacks any presence. With the vintage 30wpc receiver it replaced, the speakers always filled the room with lovely rich sound (or at least as much as one can expect out of a pair of bookshelf speakers), even at a moderate volume setting.
Probably at very moderate volume in that case.

What kind of speakers did you have with your Technics SA-110?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
0.2/0.7 THD 8/4 Ohms @ 1 KHz before soft clipping 110/115 W, 123 dumping factor. It retains as measured THD + N or SINAD to half of mentioned output and maximum sustained (for short period but still not burst) is 140W @ 8 Ohms with THD of 10%. Wouldn't call that bad nor great either but quiet adequate for most people and home speakers. More potent power stagee found in A-S70x and 80x range along with R-S700 has SINAD in low 90's and keaps it up to 100W @ 8 Ohms and rest is similar. You can find second hand R-S700 for the price of cheap class D or A-S700 for price of little better class D like latest AIYIMA A70 and needless to say even decade old R-S700 will outlive the new cheap class D (eventually it will be tied if you buy good power supply preferably medical with it).

dr0ss

What an odd set of replies. Someone who hasn't tried this combination of devices (R-S202+Wharfedale Diamonds) suggested it, I pointed out that I found that this combination of devices was not good to my ears based on actually owning and using them. This is not something that can be argued with quoting specs, the combination did not work to my ears, that's a fact. And I even qualified my comment - twice!- by pointing out that the only way I could articulate my issue was with "audiopile" terms like "not engaging" or "lifeless", which I was reluctant to do. (I especially do not understand @DanielT's last post, since it is clear what speakers we're talking about, that's the whole subdiscission.) However, to repeat: I was running this Technics on the Wharfedale Diamonds for years, it sounded fine, even room-filling at 2/3 volume. When the Technics died I replaced it with the Yamaha, which never sounded good at any volume. This is in a vacation home, which gets used by other family members who I don't trust to not ruin things, so I leave the Yamaha in place when we're not there, but lately when there I've swapped it out for another vintage receiver, a Beomaster 3000, which also sounds much better than the Yamaha to me. Perhaps this is just the "harmonics", or euphonic distortion, or whatever, but I would not recommend the Yamaha/Wharfedale combination based on actually owning and living with them.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone who hasn't tried this combination of devices (R-S202+Wharfedale Diamonds) suggested it, I pointed out that I found that this combination of devices was not good to my ears based on actually owning and using them.
Your description of "bad to my ears" doesn't overwrite the measurements Amir did.

I had the R-S202D, you can see the pics in the Inside Yamaha thread, and listened to it with a pair of KEF LS50 Meta and a pair of ATC SCM19v2. It sounded just like my A-S1200 or the NC252MP or the Fosi V3. Small signal in, large signal out, noise and distortion below audible. As far as i can tell, it had no sound.

I sent Amir some dough to buy the R-S202 and measure it, so we would know. So we have don't have to stick to "to my ears" opinions.

Top Bottom