• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 83.8%

• Total voters

jaguone

I have custom molded silicon tips for another iem, hopefully I can modify them for the REDs. Always had problems to get a proper fit/seal.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't use (good) earphones so I have 2 concerns about this and IEMs in general:
1. Is the IEM too large and thus hits people's ears?
2. After proper seal, is it possible to hear one's breathing? My cheap earphones do.

khensu

2. After proper seal, is it possible to hear one's breathing? My cheap earphones do.
I hear my own breathing a bit, but once music is playing, it disappears. It’s never bothered me. As for fit, I find the original zero fits me very comfortably (I use the large tips for the best seal). That obviously won’t be the case for everyone, so it’s hard to answer that question. At least the cost of giving them a try is minimal.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
61YgQJVEdL.png
View attachment 286878

Hmmm
It is going to be an interesting experiment isn't it. If the graphs are to be trusted, we have two diffrent IEMs with almost identical FR. I am quite curious to hear how they are going to sound comparatively, not just tonality wise but also things like imaging, separation etc. and whether I can learn anything from this experiment.

Last edited:

alekksander

I've worked in pro audio for 40 years. It's unlikely I've ever heard a transducer with distortion that low before.
you probably woulnd't hear some higher distrotion anyway. You can be honest with yourself by taking: https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/

also moondrop arias and some other iem have as low, if not even lower distortion plus very similar frequency response.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s all try and stay on topic. Reminder that this is an Official Review Thread. Please take off topic conversation to a separate thread or PM.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't resist and ordered them on the spot for €55, to be delivered June 3rd to 8th. We shall see (hear) how they compare to my old Ultimate Ears UA5 (€150 back then) ...

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious how people use wired 3.5mm IEM these days given almost everything has gone wireless. I have old Sandisk Sansa mp3 players I use on flights, but without noise cancelling, I don't see a good use for IEMs on flights.

I am tempted to buy these, but just don't see a use case.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: GPJ

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are somewhat large, if that is a concern, try the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, which are smaller and have almost the same FR. As for breathing, yes, probably.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice IEM, and indeed impressively low distortion, but I wonder if the difference in distortion between Red & Zero is really going to be noticeable, especially as the bass didn't really need much or any boosting in the Zero. I can't really imagine bass sounding any cleaner than the Zero when I tried it when I first bought it (I don't really use IEM's so basically don't use the Zero anymore).

khensu

Curious how people use wired 3.5mm IEM these days given almost everything has gone wireless. I have old Sandisk Sansa mp3 players I use on flights, but without noise cancelling, I don't see a good use for IEMs on flights.

I am tempted to buy these, but just don't see a use case.
Wow, Sansa… that’s a blast from the past. Good on you keeping that old tech alive! I prefer wired, and almost never fly, so if use on an airplane is your bar, I get it. I‘d prefer wireless, over-ear phones with noise canceling in that case.

markanini

Major Contributor
Anyone dare to make a guess on what will be the common impression between these similarly measuring sets?

All I can say is that the Truthear and Moondrop(same engineers) DD sets I've owned had a rather consistent treble. The 7Hz Zero had a different kind of treble, in a way I didn't expect when looking at the graphs before purchasing.

mc.god

It is going to be an interesting experiment isn't it. If the graphs are to be trusted, we have two different IEMs with almost identical FR. I am quite curious to hear how they are going to sound comparatively, not just tonality wise but also things like imaging, separation etc. and whether I can learn anything from this experiment.
Maybe Crinacle was so delighted by the tuning developed by himself for the 7 Hz that he wanted a model with his name on it officially in the market, generating the Red :)

Jokes aside, there will be more difference for sure, given the technical differences (2DD vs 1 DD, membrane material, ecc...) plus, as I noted before, looking at the new measurements he made with the B&K system the 7Hz seems to have a high peak at 13k that Red doesn't show, so a comparison would be of great interest.

Top Bottom