• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wasapi driver with Foobar2000

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been doing a lot of testing on some things and heard a couple of mentions that the Wasapi driver in Foobar2000 has had reported issues. It doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, has anyone done measurements on it or heard more information? It might be my imagination but Musicbee in Wasapi seems to sound better (not as thin/sharp, fuller mids).

Last edited:

BeerBear

Hmmm, Foobar doesn't have any drivers, it only uses (by default) the WASAPI driver that's part of Windows.
Last I checked everything worked just fine. You can do a virtual loopback into something like Reaper and test it that way. Obviously that requires using shared WASAPI, but exclusive WASAPI can also be tested by installing a virtual driver (or with a physical loopback).

Foobar has a 3rd party WASAPI component, though, maybe that's what you mean. IDK much about that, but since WASAPI is already used by default now, I don't really see the need for it.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
With default foobar2000 settings you get WASAPI Shared/DirectSound & WASAPI Exclusive, event or push I don't know though. if you have a Topping DAC without it's drivers and try to force 44.1khz 16bit via WASAPI Exclusive it'll refuse, because the stock windows drivers only allow 44.1khz 24bit and above. WASAPI Shared/DirectSound can mess with the sound if your got a different bit depth & frequency set in the sound control panel. What can mess with the sound (Just pops) with any output setting is when your doing USB transferring and/or heavy networking.

Personally I swap between ASIO and WASAPI Event, I don't have a direct preference. Being said WASAPI works great when you have the right DAC drivers installed. The plugin I use for foobar2000 is https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi .It gives you WASAPI Push & Event options versus just WASAPI Exclusive.

Blew

Use the DSD WASAPI out instead.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All Foobar output devices sound the same. Default output since version 1.6 is WASAPI (shared). Very convenient.

Blew

You mean DoP WASAPI?
No, the DSD WASAPI plugin. However, upon checking the latest version I see it's been removed from the SACD decoder component. It looks like DSD playback is now part of the standard WASAPI plugin, so ignore me!

teodorom

I'm worried by the PCM to DSD conversion. Let me add that I'm using the ASIO driver provided by Audiolab for my M-DAC+.
I have tried with JRiver Media Center, since if you make the wrong choice with HQPlayer you can hang the computer.
So it seems to me that with ASIO I have all te possible choices available: PCM upsampling, PCM to DSD conversion (up to 4xDSD in native format).
With ASIO I can run "Net Stop Audiosrv", so I'm sure that the Windows Audio subsystem is not bothering any way.
With WASAPI and Kernel Streaming I have only PCM upsampling and PCM to 2xDSD in DoP format.
I don't know if this happens because of my configuration (I know that I should reinstall Windows 10), or if it's really a limitation of the WASAPI.
Thanks

Sokel

Master Contributor
The best way to play DSD in foobar is to install the ASIO+DSD and SACD plug ins.
Plays anything,in any configuration imaginable.
Only make sure you put them near the top of the decoders list in preferences along with the other decoders you need first.

teodorom

The best way to play DSD in foobar is to install the ASIO+DSD and SACD plug ins.
Plays anything,in any configuration imaginable.
Only make sure you put them near the top of the decoders list in preferences along with the other decoders you need first.
This was not my question.
I'm asking if it's possible to convert, using WASAPI, from PCM to DSD (up to 4xDSD in native format).
Is this a problem of JRiver Media Center? Foobar200 is able to do that?
Thanks

Sokel

Master Contributor
Foobar200 is able to do that?
Thanks
Yes.
When you download SACD plugin there's also a plugin called DSD processor in the same file.
You install them both and you choose ASIO+DSD as output > and in the SACD properties you choose the DSD processor option.
In the DSD processor options you can choose anything you like for every sample rate and format there is.

DSD.PNG

teodorom

Now I see
  • DSD Converter 0.2.0 foo_dsd_converter
  • DSD Processor 1.2.1 foo_dsd_processor
  • Super Audio CD Decoder 1.5.1 foo_dsd_sacd
  • WSAPI Output Support 3.4 foo_wasapi
Tomorrow I shall see what it gives.
Thanks

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Now I see
  • DSD Converter 0.2.0 foo_dsd_converter
  • DSD Processor 1.2.1 foo_dsd_processor
  • Super Audio CD Decoder 1.5.1 foo_dsd_sacd
  • WSAPI Output Support 3.4 foo_wasapi
Tomorrow I shall see what it gives.
Thanks
You don't need either WASAPI or DSD converter.
But you do need ASIO+DSD plugin

That's the only two you will need to download (the later contains DSD processor too)
They also contain "read me" files to help you set up.

boxerfan88

Is there any foobar plugin that allows simultaneous wasapi output to 2 audio devices (e.g. USB-DAC + motherboard SPDIF)?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is there any foobar plugin that allows simultaneous wasapi output to 2 audio devices (e.g. USB-DAC + motherboard SPDIF)?
I tested this once,years ago so my way may be outdated.
You have to use ASIOforAll.
Go to Preferences > Playback > Output,choose ASIO Virtual Devices and there you can add and configure multiple ASIO devices.
Hope it will work for you.

boxerfan88

I tested this once,years ago so my way may be outdated.
You have to use ASIOforAll.
Go to Preferences > Playback > Output,choose ASIO Virtual Devices and there you can add and configure multiple ASIO devices.
Hope it will work for you.

Thank you very much.

I tried your suggestion (foo_out_asio + ASIO4ALL + custom channel mappings) and it works.

ps: I did find some limitation with it...content >96ksps struggles to play...not sure why...

Top Bottom