• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe I'm coming a bit late, but I have just came across this Bluetooth transceiver FiiO BTA30

Hi Milus,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Indeed it is a real nice device. And for a decent price (99€ here in France, VAT included. May go for it...

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

I will most certainly do.

Any other device that has been tested in here that sports the AK4490 decder chip ?
Is it considered as a chip with high performance or is it on the "mediocre" side ?

Regards.

BTA30 is not availble as for now, in France.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Maybe I'm coming a bit late, but I have just came across this Bluetooth transceiver FiiO BTA30
Thanks from me, too, for the helpful link to that excellent find. It looks like just the thing with which to replace the aptX HD transmitter I currently use hooked up to the Toslink optical output of my TV. I can use this BTA30 as an aptX HD transmitter for the time being, and switch to LDAC when I replace an ES100 with a Qudelix-5K or BTR5 or UP4.

AK4490 is an excellent DAC chip for a device of this sort if you use the device as a BT receiver and use the analog out. Mfrs/sellers of the other available aptX HD dedicated transceivers do not even mention which DAC chip they use, which I take to mean that they use older cheaper less powerful DAC chips, although they are likely adequate for the purpose. When the BTA30 is used as a transmitter wired via Toslink, the merits of the AK4490 would not matter as the signal should stay digital through the transcoding into the BT signal, as long as it supports the music file format you have. The AK4490 was followed by the AK4493, AK4495, AK4497 and now the AK4499 which is competitive in performance with the ES9038 Pro and the CS43198.

Update: The BTA30 is newly released, on 30 Oct (last week). Per FiiO's statement on the informative head-fi thread about this product, stock should reach international sellers and be seen on amazon.com and amazon.fr etc. by the end of December. In the meantime, you can order it from their AliExpress seller now as I did, and it is estimated to reach me after the first week of December (which would still be sooner than I could expect to find my M0 by hunting through lots of boxes lol).

One big caveat though: from what FiiO stated in the head-fi thread, any audio stream input via BTA30's USB-C port cannot currently be transmitted using LDAC, but only using aptX HD or lower protocol. FiiO has asked whether Sony can provide updated LDAC firmware to get around this limitation. The fact that the Shanling M0 has this functionality means that either the firmware could be fixed or else that Shanling did something in the circuit in the M0 to circumvent this limitation (and FiiO has a way around this in the M6/M7/M9 as well). As it stands, the BTA30 can transmit using LDAC only with input via its Toslink optical or its RCA ports. In fact, I plan to use it with Toslink input from my TV to get an LDAC BT transmission, so it still works for me as desired.

As things stand, you could also use any Toslink optical output from your computer's sound card to feed the BTA30 to get LDAC BT. But if your computer does not have optical out, then you would have to interpose a Topping D10s or the more compact Ikko Zerda dongle to convert USB audio to optical. However, if this is the case, one head-fier suggested just using a Topping DX3 Pro LDAC v2 for a little more money. The Shanling M0 can do the same for about half the cost and less than a tenth of the bulk and weight of the DX3 Pro, so it still cannot be beat even though it came out at the end of 2016. So DAPs like M0 or HiBy R3 or FiiO M6/M7/M9 remain the best solution for now. Of course you could also use the 3.5mm analog audio output of your computer as input to the RCA port of the BTA30 to get LDAC BT, buy why bother with this analog solution?

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Where did you find the BTA30 on the official Fiio AliStore ?
I can find the official Fiio AliStore but they do not have the BTA3.
It's another audio store that has it...
MEI RUI STORE

Is that reliable ?
It seems to have 0 feedback.
Not sure I'll give them money :-(

I've sent an e-mail to Fiio about them.
If they reply saying it is legit, I'll place an order for that AND the BTR5 or the BTR3k.
I must say that I have a smal irrational preference for AK DAC's over ESS DAC's.
Of course if you know about another pocketable receiver that has AK DAC, I'm a taker.

Regards.

Last edited:

Zoomer

Thanks for this insightful and civil thread.

What about the Amplify LDAC receiver? It was mentioned here.

Not the latest DAC chip (AK4377), not a USB DAC, no Bluetooth 5.0, but I'm just looking for a low-cost solution to convert my wired headphones to wireless with LDAC until the arrival of BT 6.0 .

Any downsides to this?

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Hi,

Where did you find the BTA30 on the official Fiio AliStore ?
I can find the official Fiio AliStore but they do not have the BTA3.
It's another audio store that has it...
MEI RUI STORE

Is that reliable ?
It seems to have 0 feedback.
Not sure I'll give them money :-(

I've sent an e-mail to Fiio about them.
If they reply saying it is legit, I'll place an order for that AND the BTR5 or the BTR3k.
I must say that I have a smal irrational preference for AK DAC's over ESS DAC's.
Of course if you know about another pocketable receiver that has AK DAC, I'm a taker.

Regards.
Do you have a Toslink digital optical output from your computer?

Yes, I bought the BTA30 from the Mei Rui store. Yes, I noticed it is not available in the official FiiO store, no idea why. The FiiO rep posting on head-fi linked to the Mei Rui store, so I think it should be fine. When I bought it yesterday, there were 82 units left in stock.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-bta30,hi-fi-desktop-bluetooth-receiver-transmitter,rca-optical-coaxial-interface.926876/post-15947028
Your money does not go to the seller immediately. It is held in escrow by AliExpress until you indicate you have received the item or the closing date of the transaction (whichever is earlier), upon which AliExpress pays the seller. You still get 15 days after that to dispute any problems with the product, during which AliExpress acts as the arbiter.

I am unaware of any pocketable receivers with LDAC BT and AK DACs other than the HiBy W3 and the Auris Amplify (both using AK4377) mentioned in the ASR thread that @Zoomer mentioned in the previous post. You posted quite a few times in that thread, so I guess you are already familiar with those. I have read through that thread a few times in the past, along with info on Amazon and other websites, and concluded that Q5K/BTR5/UP4 were the best current options for me.

Thanks for this insightful and civil thread.

What about the Amplify LDAC receiver? It was mentioned here.

Not the latest DAC chip (AK4377), not a USB DAC, no Bluetooth 5.0, but I'm just looking for a low-cost solution to convert my wired headphones to wireless with LDAC until the arrival of BT 6.0 .

Any downsides to this?
Sorry, I have no experience with the Auris, though member Koloth who listed it seemed to have liked using it. I cannot think of any downsides to the Auris Amplify if the price is right, or the HiBy W3 for that matter, both based on AK4377 (the W3 does have BT 5.0). I have seen the Auris BluMe stationary receiver on Amazon for a long time, and users have generally liked it. The Auris Amplify seems well built and a high quality product. The 109 dB THD+N they quote is misleading though. It applies to the AK4377 itself, and that is pretty good, but as the post describing the HiBy W3 lists, 90 dB is all that one might realistically expect with LDAC, the codec being the bottleneck or possibly the transcoding. I do not recall if I have listened with any implementations of AK4377. But long ago I owned and listened to a few off-brand DAPs with AK4375 and AK4376A (IIRC), and they provided decent SQ though a little indistinct by today's standards, and the ES9218P should be a step up in SQ.

Correction to my previous post #44. I think the dedicated BT transceivers that do not list a DAC chip are simply using the ADC, DAC and amp that come built into the CSR8675 chip. These are adequate but nothing to write home about. FiiO highlights the AK4490 and the op-amp they use in the BTA30 because it provides better SQ than the DAC-amp in the CSR8675 when the BTA30 is used to receive BT or USB and convert to analog output.

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Thanks again for all the input.

I am hesitatiing ?
BTA30 ? Or HiBy R2 ?

HiBy R2 is UAT enabled where the BTA 30 is not I think.
HiBy R2 can be used as DAP where the BTA 30 cannot be used that way.
HiBy R2 can stream LDAC from USB where the BTA 30 can not according to what you said.
BTA 30 has Coaxial input + Optical input, the HiBy does nto have those.
BTA 30 has AK4470 DAC, where the HiBy has ESS9218 (not a bad DAC though).
BTA 30 has probably more range when used as an emitter.

I know how it will end up... I'll take both :)

The Audis looks gorgeous... but 99 USD with shipping to France. And I am a little worried about the output power : 60mW under 16Ohm... How much will remain at 32Ohm ?

I think I will add the HiBy W5.
No AK DAC, but ESS 9218P instead. I think this not a bad DAC.
Reason for this choice :
- all standards (aptx HD, LDAC and UAT as an added bonus) ;
- 80mW at 32Ohm ;
- a nice charging case ;
- 20 hours of claimed battery life.

Right now on sale in HiBy official store : 76€ and if I wait for 11.11 they'll even go for 69.50€. Free shipping for Nov. 20 also if I order the now.

I'll probably order those so I will be on time to return the devices bought on Amazon.

Hope this choice is for the best.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Yes, I had seen the HiBy R2 upcoming blurb on HiBy's website prior to its release but not followed up afterwards because I did not think it would bring me anything more than the R3 Pro that I already own.

HiBy R2 can stream LDAC from USB
Did you find that out for sure? It would provide another alternative to the Shanling M0 if true, and at a comparable price.

And I am a little worried about the output power : 60mW under 16Ohm... How much will remain at 32Ohm ?
Likely at least 30mW into 32 Ohms. Plenty to drive the HPs you own to loud levels greater than 105 dB.

As I have mentioned in previous posts in other threads, if you are willing to use regular Wi-Fi for streaming (as many phone users do at home), I understand that lossless audio streaming is possible, though battery life suffers. The whole reason for the existence of BT and lossy streaming is the lower power requirement than regular Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Just as an inforamtion, here's the reply I got from Fiio about the Store on Ali Express :

Hello,

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO.

Yes, this is our authorized seller. So please don't worry.

It was opened just recently.

FiiO Authorized New Store on Aliexpress Is Now Opened!

Should you have further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

FiiO Customer Service

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Also interested in the Auris Amplify...

So I ordered it.

Here's the answer I got fro Auris :

Your order #8777 was cancelled because we did not have enough stock to fulfill your order.

Please reply to this email if you have any questions or concerns".

Regards.

Zoomer

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Let's hope this is a sign of better things to come (product upgrade) .
Hi,

Mailed them and asked if they know when they will get stock...

I'll post here as soon as they reply.

I must say that I find their product really gorgeous and that is was the reason I wanted to order it.

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Well, they just replied.
Reply is simply one of those that is most amazing I've ever had !
Here is it...

"
Hi Frederic,
We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience.
Currently, we don't have an idea about the exact date of availability.
You can consider purchasing either of the following competitor's products.
https://www.amazon.fr/FiiO-BTR3-récepteur-Musique-Bluetooth/dp/B07FVN14FH
https://www.amazon.fr/EarStudio-Récepteur-Bluetooth-résolution-Portable/dp/B078H4YD2L
Thank you,
-Team Auris".

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Order for the BTA30 and HiBy W5 placed.
Announced to be delivered on November 21.
Let's see what happens :)

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

If I look at the BTA-30 and compare to this similarly priced device on Amazon, I think the BTA-30 is a killer deal...I really hope to get it at the end of november but that seems almost impossible :-(

Regards.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Hi,

If I look at the BTA-30 and compare to this similarly priced device on Amazon, I think the BTA-30 is a killer deal...I really hope to get it at the end of november but that seems almost impossible :-(

Regards.
I agree, the BTA-30 is good value for money. The Avantree Oasis you linked to is one of the third gen aptX HD transceivers. However, it lacks USB input decoding and transmission capability, and is aimed mainly at BT connectivity for TV and amps as are other transceivers of that and prior gens. It should function well, due to its the antenna. The BTA-30 can transmit BT upto aptX HD codec level from USB input. Lucky you, November 21 delivery is faster than I will get it (early December).

The Earstudio ES100 can actually receive LDAC, which I had forgotten about. It uses dual AK4375A, and its sound is excellent, so it would be another choice with AKM DAC chips as your prefer, in addition to the previously identified HiBy W3. My memories of AK4375 and AK4376A come from old off-brand DAPs where the implementation was not the best, resulting in SQ not quite the equal of the ES100 (just impressions, I did not compare them directly). The ES100 Mk 2 remains a good choice for a pocketable BT receiver with very robust functionality. I was able to transmit BT LDAC from FiiO M15 to ES100, playing FLAC files from microSD, and it sounds very good. FiiO say that no BT transmission is enabled at all when the M15 is used as a USB-DAC, because they wanted to maintain the USB-DAC function targeted at very high SQ.

Amir posted his review and measurements of the Qudelix-5K today and he finds it to be an excellent product:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
I just went through setting up a bluetooth aptx HD system and I would caution you that the products can not be evaluated on specs or price or even brand. I found some work and some don't. There was no rhyme or reason to it either. I have never sent so many items back to Amazon. I ended up with a Avantree DG60 transmitter and a 1Mii BOSPro transmitter / receiver. These work really well together and have very long range. Some other ones I tried with fancy DAC chips had terrible intermittent "popping" ...loud enough I feared damaging my speakers. Anyway make sure you can return what ever you buy as these products are not mature.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi levimax,

With the devices I've bought, transmission works pretty well... but I sometimes have some intermittent "short connection losses". So sound is crackling for about 4/5 seconds and then is super stable for 5, 10, 20 minutes. The fact that sometimes it works superbly and sometimes as soon as I move one millimeter the connection seems to get interferences is totally random and therefore difficult to explain.

I really hope the BTA-30 will work well as a transmitter.

The Meadhawk receiver I got that I can hook up to headphone directly is working pretty well. Only one complain about it. You can use "Volume up" and "Volume down" but that is not in small steps :-(

I also notice that sound tends to "saturate" and to "clip" (I think that's how it is called) so I have to turn down volume on the Topping DAC and on the Transmitter. But as the transmitter has no indication on where the volume is set, it's a little difficult to make a correct setting :-(

I am hoping to get the stuff soon. Not ordered on Amazon, but on Ali Express. If that does not work, I'll experience Ali's return policies. Probably not as efficient as Amazon one's :-( Then again, the amount paid is not trivial, but I will survive.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi guys,

As a follow-up : my devices have been shipped from the seller's deposit to arrive at carrier facility it seems. After all, it may arrive on November 22 as advertised.
As soon as I know when it will be shipped, I'll return the BT box I bought on Amazon.
But I will keep the HP adapter. I used it for 6.5 hours today, and it still had not bipped to say it was running out of fuel. Not bad for a device I bought for 30€ and that does aptx HD all the time.

Regards.

Top Bottom