• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 132 31.8%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the "Scientific" part, I don't doubt the "Audiophile" part.
Well he was open to a comment I made on his video. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

rsc1

Post by WiiM Support on their forum from last Friday March 29th.
We've enhanced our room correction algorithm and expanded the settings options. Now, you can customize the target curve, frequency range(up to 20kHz), maximum gain, and maximum Q factor to your preference. To access these new features, please update to the latest iOS app, version 2.9.1.

Additionally, we're excited to announce the development of a multi-band Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) for both iOS and Android apps. This new PEQ will feature at least 8 bands, ideally extending to 10 bands, offering you unparalleled control over your audio experience. We're targeting to release a beta version of this app in two weeks.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After today's firmware update...
Capture d’écran (3).png

rj2wells

At this price, why not just get an AV receiver instead?
The only reason to choose WIIM, and a very good reason, is the distributed synch technology. You can connect additional speakers wirelessly using additional WIIM devices and WIIM will synchronize them.

So for example you can have music in multiple rooms playing in sync, or what I did - attach a subwoofer to a WIIM mini so that I did not have to cable across the room

There are other wireless solutions but WIIM's works pretty well.

If you are just gonna use it as a single amp or dac and not take advantage of the multi room / grouping feature there are probably better options.

Antlestxp

The only reason to choose WIIM, and a very good reason, is the distributed synch technology. You can connect additional speakers wirelessly using additional WIIM devices and WIIM will synchronize them.

So for example you can have music in multiple rooms playing in sync, or what I did - attach a subwoofer to a WIIM mini so that I did not have to cable across the room

There are other wireless solutions but WIIM's works pretty well.

If you are just gonna use it as a single amp or dac and not take advantage of the multi room / grouping feature there are probably better options.
Most of the major brands do zone syncing these days. Marantz denon and onkyo for sure. I gave it a try for its size. I'm over the huge rack size units. The wiim ticked all the boxes. I really wish it would have worked out for me.

Antlestxp

Usually cheap AV receivers have poor performances in terms of instrumental measurements.
Something I'm still struggling to understand. The wiim measures fine but it couldn't keep up with a basic avr in my case. I even tried a second one to be sure I didn't have a dud.

Pinkynator

At this price, why not just get an AV receiver instead?

What if you don't NEED an AV receiver? It has tons of inputs, tons of outputs, it's bulky, it uses a lot of electricity... and perhaps all you need is something to connect your TV to and get sound out of two loudspeakers and maybe a subwoofer. Your living room is small, you don't do parties, you don't need surround... This is a small device that just blends in and does a simple job of reproducing music.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually cheap AV receivers have poor performances in terms of instrumental measurements.
What are instrumental measurements?

Sure AVR's tend not to measure as well as dedicated amps for noise/distortion. Imperfections though are generally inaudible for real world listening.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I'm still struggling to understand. The wiim measures fine but it couldn't keep up with a basic avr in my case. I even tried a second one to be sure I didn't have a dud.
If you didn't compare blind and accurately level matched (with a voltmeter) most likely that is all you need to understand.

Antlestxp

If you didn't compare blind and accurately level matched (with a voltmeter) most likely that is all you need to understand.
The comparison was simple. Wiim either shifted its sound with an increase of volume or shut off completely. Some times you dont need a lab setup to know something is wrong lol. Haven't experienced that with any other device including a bottom of the line onkyo. I realize after some measurements my ohms are harder to drive than I thought. I never had an issue with them until I tried the wiim. So I never invested any time testing them. That being said, it should have been fine with my more efficient speakers. I don't volt match. I use a decibel meter to level match. I don't have a lab unfortunately. I just have a living room.

Antlestxp

What if you don't NEED an AV receiver? It has tons of inputs, tons of outputs, it's bulky, it uses a lot of electricity... and perhaps all you need is something to connect your TV to and get sound out of two loudspeakers and maybe a subwoofer. Your living room is small, you don't do parties, you don't need surround... This is a small device that just blends in and does a simple job of reproducing music.
Honestly the need for avr is dead or dying. Not many people need 6 plus inputs anymore. I want to see more products like the wiim amp. I hope more companies are watching.

elmoe420

The comparison was simple. Wiim either shifted its sound with an increase of volume or shut off completely. Some times you dont need a lab setup to know something is wrong lol. Haven't experienced that with any other device including a bottom of the line onkyo. I realize after some measurements my ohms are harder to drive than I thought. I never had an issue with them until I tried the wiim. So I never invested any time testing them. That being said, it should have been fine with my more efficient speakers. I don't volt match. I use a decibel meter to level match. I don't have a lab unfortunately. I just have a living room.

Huh? You tried four different sets of speakers and two different WiiM Amps and the amps just "shut off"? Under what conditions exactly? First report I've seen of this.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
I don't volt match. I use a decibel meter to level match. I don't have a lab unfortunately. I just have a living room.
You hardly need a lab. You need a DMM or voltmeter, and not even a good one. A $10 DMM and some free test tone .mp3 or .wav files from the internet would be more accurate than a $100 decibel meter in this use case (= level matching the input levels to the speaker).

Antlestxp

Huh? You tried four different sets of speakers and two different WiiM Amps and the amps just "shut off"? Under what conditions exactly? First report I've seen of this.
Shut off watching interstellar. The launch scene with 2 of 4 sets of speakers I own. I use that BR as a sound check for any new setup. I honestly don't want to debate this over and over. I get everyone is in love with these things. I am too to be honest. I happily recommend their products to others. I am truly disappointed I couldn't get it to work for me. My reason for leaving comments about my experience is not to argue with people over this but to just document my experience. In a hope that wiim and other manufacturers see our complaints on these forums and continue to improve their products. That's all. I will happily fork over money for the wiim amp plus or pro.

Top Bottom