• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

tsammyc

Just ordered an IEAST/Audioquest M50 with Ethernet port for about $57 from some Chinese website. Just wondering if it’s uPNP has fewer dropouts Tran the WIIM Mini.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Don’t know if it’s a quirk/ bug on my Linn MDSM/4 amp or the WiiM mini, but if I play that Radio Paradise link http://stream.radioparadise.com/flacm on the WiiM over SPDIF into the amp, the latter shows PCM 44.1 kHz/ 24 bit 2.8Mbps. If I play that url directly on my amp, it shows FLAC 44.1 kHz / 16 bit 1.4Mbps. I would have thought they’d match up ‍♂️

Witterings

@WiiM Support

I'm starting to get really peed off with these if I'm honest, you're currently looking at my logs for stuttering issues and now there's another major issue ... works one minute ... flaky the next!

I'm not sure if it's anything to do with recent updates but I've just tried playing a playlist I've created, it played the 1st track and then just stopped. I tried skipping to the next track and it wouldn't.
I started the playlist from the start and tried skipping track and it looked as though it was still playing the 1st song but it was silent.

I switched from using an ipad to using an Android phone and exactly the same!

With both devices I stopped casting and it works perfectly on the ipad / phone's speaker, I then tried casting both to Chromecast and it works perfectly, goes to the next track when one ends or you can skip tracks as it should so it's not an Amazon issue.

Guys, we're not your guinea pigs, if you want to pay us as testers then fine but seriously get it right before releasing updates, I've been through this cycle with DJI using their customers as "free testers" and it's wrong.

Reactions: MCH

KlausMartinBecker

Hello, today my Wiim arrived.
But he doesn't want to do what i want. My plan was to stream from my turntable (+preamp) from Line-in via AirPlay to my HomePod. But this doesn't seem to work - does anyone have an idea or this to work?
Many Thanks

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a group on Facebook to discuss all things Linkplay - including the Wiim Mini. It can be found here: www.facebook.com/groups/linkplayusers/ .
Any chance you can make it a private group? I don’t like discussing my ‘hobbies’ in a public group that my FB friends and family can see, never mind Joe Public…

Brantome

Major Contributor
But he doesn't want to do what i want. My plan was to stream from my turntable (+preamp) from Line-in via AirPlay to my HomePod. But this doesn't seem to work - does anyone have an idea or this to work?
Many Thanks
Tbh, I think of the WiiM as an airplay target, not source, but I may be wrong…

Brantome

Major Contributor
….

With both devices I stopped casting and it works perfectly on the ipad / phone's speaker, I then tried casting both to Chromecast and it works perfectly, goes to the next track when one ends or you can skip tracks as it should so it's not an Amazon issue.
Tbh, it’s not outwith the realms of possibility that it is an amazon/ Alexa cast issue as similar issues are reported from time to time even with echos.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just ordered an IEAST/Audioquest M50 with Ethernet port for about $57 from some Chinese website. Just wondering if it’s uPNP has fewer dropouts Tran the WIIM Mini.
I don't see anything about Airplay 2 or 5G WiFi support on that device. It could well be based on the older Linkplay A31 module, which doesn't appear to be bit-perfect - transcodes optical output to 48K. If you can verify, let us know after it arrives.

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't see anything about Airplay 2 or 5G WiFi support on that device. It could well be based on the older Linkplay A31 module, which doesn't appear to be bit-perfect - transcodes optical output to 48K. If you can verify, let us know after it arrives.
the old m5 or the new pro m50?

ccristal

@WiiM Support

I'm starting to get really peed off with these if I'm honest, you're currently looking at my logs for stuttering issues and now there's another major issue ... works one minute ... flaky the next!
[...]
Guys, we're not your guinea pigs, if you want to pay us as testers then fine but seriously get it right before releasing updates, I've been through this cycle with DJI using their customers as "free testers" and it's wrong.
Don't be too hard on them. Everyone in China is working from home these days. I have been in contact with Linkplay, and my understanding is that their access to equipment in their test labs is limited.
...and by the way, in case you haven't noticed, you have been acting as a tester for the best part of a decade now, for every device you ever bought... ;-)

ccristal

Any chance you can make it a private group? I don’t like discussing my ‘hobbies’ in a public group that my FB friends and family can see, never mind Joe Public…
Makes sense. I've now done that. The change will be effective in 72 hours, starting from now.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
the old m5 or the new pro m50?

The M50. The old devices always said 24/192, but that was just into the internal DAC. Digital outputs were always downsampled (or simply truncated) to 16/48.

morillon

Major Contributor
ok

perhaps explain that s less expensive than wiim mini...

Witterings

Don't be too hard on them. Everyone in China is working from home these days. I have been in contact with Linkplay, and my understanding is that their access to equipment in their test labs is limited.
...and by the way, in case you haven't noticed, you have been acting as a tester for the best part of a decade now, for every device you ever bought... ;-)

In essence their buyers are testing them from home .... so why can't they ... sorry that's no excuse in my opinion and as for being a tester for every device I've ever bought ... if it doesn't work it goes back as not fit for purpose .... end of.

If more people did this we stop being sold sub standard goods.

KlausMartinBecker

Many Thanks
Here ist the answer from the Wiim Support:

Unfortunately WiiM Mini only acts as a AirPlay 2 receiver, it can't stream audio to HomePod with AirPlay 2.

Brantome

Major Contributor
i’ve raised a ticket about 3. as I asked for this a few months back and have been really looking forward to it. Hope we get bitrate as well as bit depth and sample rate so we can see if it’s playing a lossy mp3 or a lossless CD quality track, for example.
Looks like we’ll need to wait longer - until 25th April according to WiiM until they release updated firmware before we get the bit depth and sample rate info. Disappointed- that’ll be ten days later than targetted….

Top Bottom