• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Brantome

Major Contributor
@Brantome :

Thanks so much for the link, very kind.

In fact, there is a lot of talk about this device and expectations are high.

I'll copy/paste the answer they gave me from their customer support service, I went to look for it in my email:

"""""" Thank you for reaching out to us and for expressing your interest in the WiiM Ultra.

The WiiM Ultra is set to be available for purchase around June 30 this year. One of the standout features of the WiiM Ultra is its compatibility with the same DAC as used in the WiiM Pro Plus.

Thank you for your continued support. Should you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to reach out. We're here to assist you.

Best Regards,WiiM Support """"""

Thanks so much for the link, very kind.

In fact, there is a lot of talk about this device and expectations are high.

I'll copy/paste the answer they gave me from their customer support service, I went to look for it in my email:

I hope they can also bring forward the release on the market by a few days, I can't wait for at least the pre-order to be available!!!

See you soon, thanks.

Hi, I mentioned to WiiM in a separate conversation on their forum and they have said that information in the email Support sent to you was in fact incorrect and that the Ultra will have “an upgraded DAC compared to the WiiM Pro Plus, enhancing sound quality significantly” and that it should be available before June. They’ll inform their front line support accordingly. While their support got it wrong, at least the revision is better news :)

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So the Wiim Pro Plus is basically as good as an RME DAC for example that costs much more?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yup ... transparent is transparent
Somehow the old audiophile in me refuses to believe a $200 device can sound as good as a $160K Wadax DAC
wadax-03-scaled.jpg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow the old audiophile in me refuses to believe a $200 device can sound as good as a $160K Wadax DACView attachment 352415

It may well measure technically better than the Wadax. Overpriced "boutique" gear as a class has a poor track record for measurements.

Turambar

So the Wiim Pro Plus is basically as good as an RME DAC for example that costs much more?

Actually, I own an RME and it's not so easy for me to differentiate, not from the WiiM Pro Plus that I don't own, but from a regular WiiM Pro or a WiiM mini that are mounting DACs that are measurably inferior to the RME.

However, RME has a cornucopia of features, very solid and durable device (except the remote controller), very good headphone amplifier, good support, good resale value... All these things, are important too.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somehow the old audiophile in me refuses to believe a $200 device can sound as good as a $160K Wadax DACView attachment 352415
The Wadax sound is so incredibly infectious I wound up buying three, though the one for my garage workshop system was probably an overshoot and something lower cost such as a dCS Rossini APEX may have sufficed. It's not bad for a budget priced unit.

Alexx

@Brantome
A thousand thanks.

Good news, if their answer was imprecise I think it's good to have confirmation that it will probably be put on the market before June and that it will have a better DAC.

We look forward to it being available.
Thanks again.

morillon

Major Contributor
I thought I had everything on their last message posted here or wiim forum (?) at the end of June... but I can't find it (?)

Brantome

Major Contributor
I thought I had everything on their last message posted here or wiim forum (?) at the end of June... but I can't find it (?)
It’s still on the WiiM forum post #744 on the WiiM Ultra thread, suitably updated

morillon

Major Contributor
I know well....concerning the dac etc..
but I don't see any reference to "before June" and the only date information that I read is in this famous post, (which would be poorly informed on the technical side) and this end of June...
but you probably know a lot more... ;-)

and my words just to calm "impatience" and the classic frustrations that often accompany them.. ;-)

ps asr fashion I don't see how the dac could be "better" etc being "perfectly transparent", indistinguishable etc.. or more precisely :
"what's the point?, according to the precepts, mantra" of asr... :confused:
sym output?

Last edited:

Alexx

We all get crazy when it comes to new products :)

Let's be patient, it won't be a few days difference that will change our choices.

Obviously if it were to happen in a week I would be very happy!!!:D:D
See you soon.

Top Bottom