• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 12.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 85.4%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if you mic a few inches in a room, you too can get very different measurements. The idea is to have an average that correlates well with listening tests. For that, PIR works fairly well although I tend to put more emphasis on on-axis response than PIR.

Feel there should be some added emphasis here around measurement conditions as sometimes they matter more and sometimes less. If you listen at the measurement distances, then some may matter more. At 3m or more, some other speaker characteristics become more interesting, and others become less. As you have mentioned elsewhere. listening in stereo will also affect our ability to discern. Maybe enough fodder for another video? ;)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine how lovely the world would be if the altruism at work here in creating the free design tools and sharing the design of this fab speaker were more universal :)
Altruism is a great thing but should only go so far... I am NOT imagining some Venice Beach homeless-camp rocking with these free-ish speakers, all night long.:oops:

Thus far in 2024 [and imo], @amirm has unearthed two pairs of 'bookshelf' speakers of worthy design and performance for under $1,000USD:
1. Ascend Sierra-1 V2, and
2. This Mechano23
... and we still have 8 more months before the end of 2024.
Yey!

Hart

Really excellent job. I would love to see this work incorporated into a narrow tower speaker. The bass is always limited by the 5" drivers on a narrow tower. Some designers have incorporated larger bass drivers sideways into the cabinet, leaving the front narrow. Is there a downside to this? Maybe three 5" drivers in the front then a 6 1/2" or 8" driver in the side of the cabinet? Does the cabinet lack enough volume to make this work well? If you could get that to work well I think you could sell a lot of them.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hopefully this finally makes people who think that DIY can't match and exceed commercial products reflect a bit, I spotted surprisingly many here on ASR.

Ra1zel

They're the folks who tell you the Genelec 8351's sound like shit, but that some guy hand building speakers and tuning them by ear somewhere in Moldavia has them beat by a country mile.
I am one of those who would say that while they are great speakers they are no the bestest at absolutely everything and "genelec is quintillion light years ahead of DIY and DIY can't replicate that cuz you need one morbillion dollars of R&D and 300 employees to do that"... and this would still make my opinion very contrarian on ASR.

I've been through this before in other threads.

anphex

Forum Donor
I am one of those who would say that while they are great speakers they are no the bestest at absolutely everything and "genelec is quintillion light years ahead of DIY and DIY can't replicate that cuz you need one morbillion dollars of R&D and 300 employees to do that"... and this would still make my opinion very contrarian on ASR.

I've been through this before in other threads.
Which ones would you consider the best and why?

silverD

jaakkopetteri

1000016029.png

Alternative crossover by @kimmosto . Dashed lines original XO

Attachments

• 1000016028.png
    1000016028.png
    15 KB · Views: 101
Is particle board a good material for speakers? I haven't seen many DIY ones built out of that.
Particle board is very weak and chips easily.

ta240

Major Contributor
Hopefully this finally makes people who think that DIY can't match and exceed commercial products reflect a bit, I spotted surprisingly many here on ASR.
The really tricky thing with DIY speakers is you typically can't go somewhere and listen to them. Even if you just go off of measurements there aren't many that are measured.

If the plans don't include detailed information on dampening and materials used as well as part numbers for the crossovers or at the very least things like resistance on the inductors, you can end up with a build that sounds different from the original.

After all the time, effort and money you often don't know what you are going to end up with, and if you don't like it you can't return it. Even the drivers won't sell used for near what you paid for them.

Some designs become legends while others fade into obscurity, sometimes earned and sometimes not.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Particle board is very weak and chips easily.

to my eye cheap vinyl wood veneer on the outside to seal against spills in the like would be good

even black flat vinyl, fake carbon fiber or marine carpet?

to my eye cheap vinyl wood veneer on the outside to seal against spills in the like would be good

even black flat vinyl, fake carbon fiber or marine carpet?
Use whatever comes to mind or what you have laying around in excess. I have excess MDF, Plywood and Lumber.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Is particle board a good material for speakers? I haven't seen many DIY ones built out of that.
Its important to distinguish between particle board and MDF. There are significant differences.

I would never make a speaker out of the former, while the majority of both DIY and commercial speaker enclosures are made from the latter. The linked cabinet is described as MDF, fwiw.

Top Bottom