• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PS100 *$30.00* DAC (some limitations apply)

ajzach

May or may not help: On your Sony TV, check if you have an option under Settings -> Channels & Inputs -> External Inputs -> Bravia Sync Settings -> Device Auto Power off
Well, it turns out you've solved my issue! I followed your advice and the DAC stays on irrespective of the TV. It looks like what I thought was an auto power-off feature built into the PS100 was actually the Sony TV playing tricks on me. Thanks El Cheapo. Let's see how it goes from now.

Last edited:

ajzach

I have found a new problem with PS100, but maybe knowledgeable ASR users will help me to solve it as well.

I control the volume through my TV's remote, but I noticed that each volume step is very high. I have no way of telling how many dBs they have but consider this: my TV sends a signal at 100% volume to the DAC, and with those settings, I listen just 3 steps away from 0 volume (I listen rather quietly as I live in an apartment).

This is quite bad because, in the end, I can't precisely adjust the volume so it matches the music I am playing. Usually, 3 steps away from zero is slightly too quiet, but 4 steps becomes uncomfortable. 3 steps is 18% and 4 steps is 25% of the maximum volume according to the TV. Once again, such an issue does not occur with cheap HDMI extractors from Amazon, which are much more precise in volume adjustments.

Any thoughts on whether this is a feature of PS100 or something I could fix? Has anybody else experienced this?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I listen just 3 steps away from 0 volume (I listen rather quietly as I live in an apartment)
Do you have another volume control downstream of the PS100?

Maybe an integrated Amp or an additional volume knob on the back of your monitors?

ajzach

Yep, I am considering spending on Wiim Pro plus given that Android Tidal app on my TV has some problems too.

What did the trick with the volume control was reducing the volume of the PCM signal in the TV's settings in case anybody is wondering.

Esprit

Forum Donor
Can it be connected to a laptop and used as a DAC?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the quoted specs are as economical as the price:
View attachment 304490
85dB SINAD, 98dB SNR, at least it does 2.0Vrms.

Curious how DR is 2dB worse than SNR. I guess even at -60dBFS, there's still significant harmonic distortion?

I wonder why they didn't just put a CS43131 in this. That would've given them ~115dB SINAD and 130dB DR for about the same price I imagine.

The most interesting part of the PS100 to me is the eARC input.
That might signal eARC becoming commonplace on DACs from SMSL, Sabaj, Topping, etc. soon.

That's a 14 bits DAC device

Here the oscilloscope for a -78.27dBFS signal (13th bit on and off)
We (kind of) see the characteristic stairs profile of least significant bits being toggled on and off.
(NB: The first generation of CD players from Philips were also using 14 bits DAC)

1713241759274.png

Linearity is completely off-track below -66dB
I measured 4.8dB delta at -72dBFS !!!
So linearity is on 11 bits or so.

I measured SINAD at 84.2dB
(Don't worry about the black plot: I'm testing AP-like notch)

1713241964850.png

Dynamic range (AES 17 - CCIR-2k)

1713247952966.png

And Jitter on Optical input ?
well...
(The reference orange plot is for 16 bits)

1713241841536.png

I don't know where this -7dB comes from at high frequencies...

1713243265051.png

Also, frequencies are not stable

And, finaly, I hear the sine tone from the device itself when I push the volume close to 0dBFS.

:facepalm:

The main question is: is that any better than your TV analog output?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's a 14 bits DAC device

Here the oscilloscope for a -78.27dBFS signal (13th bit on and off)
We (kind of) see the characteristic stairs profile of least significant bits being toggled on and off.
(NB: The first generation of CD players from Philips were also using 14 bits DAC)

View attachment 364058

Linearity is completely off-track below -66dB
I measured 4.8dB delta at -72dBFS !!!
So linearity is on 11 bits or so.

I measured SINAD at 84.2dB
(Don't worry about the black plot: I'm testing AP-like notch)

View attachment 364060

Dynamic range (AES 17 - CCIR-2k)

View attachment 364065

And Jitter on Optical input ?
well...
(The reference orange plot is for 16 bits)

View attachment 364059

I don't know where this -7dB comes from at high frequencies...

View attachment 364061

Also, frequencies are not stable

And, finaly, I hear the sine tone from the device itself when I push the volume close to 0dBFS.

:facepalm:

The main question is: is that any better than your TV analog output?
Aww man :(

Thanks a bunch for testing!

V.b.

Thank you a lot.

It looked tempting, but analog audio out off the tv may be of similar quality.

Top Bottom