• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

Bhargu

I just registered, but I've been visiting the site for a few weeks.

I had them send me a copy of the Melokin DA9.1 manual https://ufile.io/5miox

I'm close to buying one of these because it's an affordable ESS 9038 Pro implementation that includes a headphone amp with an adjustable output impedance, and allows for disabling some ESS chip features via jumpers. It also has balanced outputs on the PCB that you can break-out. I'm thinking about getting one of these and adding XLR jacks to the side of the case.

Do you still have the manual with you? That link seems premium only.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow cool specs. The description is rife with bad translations though lol....
"With a perverted index, the feeling after hearing is also enhanced! Make it even more perfect!"
It's like that on Topping's site, Aliexpress, etc.......
Copy and paste Google Translator I'm guessing?? My index is always perverted, though. o_O

Elix

After seeing all the new measurements of portable DACs (Topping NX4 DSD and Sabaj DA3) my money just went to xDuoo. Their X20 is about the best-measuring portable player overall on Reference-Audio-Analyzer.pro site (along with iBasso DX200). (Especially look at the impressive THD performance at low Ohms). It can also act as USB or Bluetooth DAC, supports DSD256 and costs juts over $200. A laughable amount of money for such performance and versatility. I think if Amir were to measure it, it would soon became a best-seller.

Edit: I hope referencing a different site isn't offending to Amir. And I made it sound like an advertisement, lol.

Last edited:

Starcraft

Dear friends,

I have visited this forum often and many of your tests made my opinions turn into, almost, facts.

Looking for a DAC I have the ideia you dont need to send hundrends to get a good or even an excelent one. I have a Dragonfly so I believe that is a good example.

So I wanted to start by just saying Thank you for your contribution to the pragmactic listeners all over the World.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After seeing all the new measurements of portable DACs (Topping NX4 DSD and Sabaj DA3) my money just went to xDuoo. Their X20 is about the best-measuring portable player overall on Reference-Audio-Analyzer.pro site (along with iBasso DX200). (Especially look at the impressive THD performance at low Ohms). It can also act as USB or Bluetooth DAC, supports DSD256 and costs juts over $200. A laughable amount of money for such performance and versatility. I think if Amir were to measure it, it would soon became a best-seller.

Edit: I hope referencing a different site isn't offending to Amir. And I made it sound like an advertisement, lol.
Not at all. We are all here to help each other with more data and others doing similar work is just goodness.

If you are in US and like to loan me your unit, I would love to measure it. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dear friends,

I have visited this forum often and many of your tests made my opinions turn into, almost, facts.

Looking for a DAC I have the ideia you dont need to send hundrends to get a good or even an excelent one. I have a Dragonfly so I believe that is a good example.

So I wanted to start by just saying Thank you for your contribution to the pragmactic listeners all over the World.
Much appreciate my friend. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
May I suggest the Melokin DA9.1 DAC+head amp?

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/da9.1.htm

It uses the ES9038PRO DAC, instead of the stripped-down Q2M version used in the Topping products (DX7s, D50). It would be nice to see whether the full 9038 chip (which cost signficantly more and uses much more power than the more common Q2M) adds any significant difference.

The DAC itself is also interesting, since it allows adjusting the chip parameters (dither, jitter reduction), has I2S support, provides adjustable impedance for the head amp (starting from 0 ohms, on the contrary to DX7s' high impedance) and outputs more power than the Pro-Ject S2 (through the OPA1622 buffer). The opamp and clocks are also user-replaceable.
Your review (and others who asked for it) is out: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-da9-1-es3098pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.3618/

Short answer, good promise, bad delivery.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you for the Melokin analysis amir. It's a shame it did not hold up to the competition.

Veri

Master Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, thanks. I thought it was another site with free shipping at that price. :)

I ordered it from ebay for $46 including shipping. Says July 20th to August 9th for delivery from China.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for a DAC which does not have an emphasis in the upper frequency ranges. It could even be a little laid back. Headphone support is not necessary, preamp functionality is preferred.

Top Bottom