• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1 bit DAC launched by TOPPING

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The best accurate DSP you can reach in computer environment at 64bit or 80 bit floating point resolution with processing result converted to the desired target fixed point resolution. Resource constrained few dollars costing hardware chips will never do it on that level - they miss both computational power and resolution of our computers.
The 1200 MFLOPs of the XMOS is plenty for 10 PEQs at various sample rates. You need about 120 MFLOPS for double precision..

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the PEQ is only on the USB then it’s a bit pointless as then you have a plethora of solutions ready on your computer.

PEQ in your hif system is for the general use case of not always have a computer as direkt source

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The best accurate DSP you can reach in computer environment at 64bit or 80 bit floating point resolution with processing result converted to the desired target fixed point resolution. Resource constrained few dollars costing hardware chips will never do it on that level - they miss both computational power and resolution of our computers. For me the quality of DSP operation is much more important than the place where it is actually running.

From my point of view PEQ in DAC is pointless, but I understand it may be attractive for people who don't use computer with desktop DACs.
But we already have a thread full of software EQ options for different operating systems. Another one doesn't help much. What we don't have much choice of is good DACs that can do room and/or speaker EQ for non-computer sources.

Sokel

Master Contributor
But we already have a thread full of software EQ options for different operating systems. Another one doesn't help much. What we don't have much choice of is good DACs that can do room and/or speaker EQ for non-computer sources.
Judging by the the pics D90 III does that (EQ,not RC)
(hoping that the computer is only for setting it up)

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Posted by shenzhenaudio on FB:
"We'll experience an optimized combo from TOPPING, the exquisite D50 III and A50 III! What's improved compared to the previous version? Let's stay tuned!"

Another question to add to the list is how the outputs work in conjunction with the A50 III.

The A50s has unbalanced RCA in and balanced RCA out. Thus you could drive speakers via the rca out and control the volume via the volume dial.

The A50 III looks to have unbalanced RCA and Balanced TRS in, and a selector switch, but no outputs. hopefully the D50 III lets you easily switch back and forth between outputs, or we will loose the ability to drive can and speakers easily from the stack. Even if you can switch outputs easily, the joystick on the front of my D50s (D50 III looks the same) is some what fiddly to use, so you would most likely need to use the remote.

Blockader

The best accurate DSP you can reach in computer environment at 64bit or 80 bit floating point resolution with processing result converted to the desired target fixed point resolution. Resource constrained few dollars costing hardware chips will never do it on that level - they miss both computational power and resolution of our computers. For me the quality of DSP operation is much more important than the place where it is actually running.

From my point of view PEQ in DAC is pointless, but I understand it may be attractive for people who don't use computer with desktop DACs.
The bit depth of audio reproduction is pretty much limited to 20-21 bits due to the thermal noise introduced to the input stage of the amplifiers/dacs. Even 24 bit fixed point calculations are more than enough for audio. You do not need 64/80 bit float calculations in audio. Such high bit calculations only bring performance improvements for preamps, amplifiers which operate in close-to-absolute-zero conditions.(space radars etc).

Here's an exception in scenarios involving digital preamps. Specifically, when applying high levels of attenuation (e.g., -60 dB, -80db), floating-point rounding errors can become significant, impacting the dynamic range and introducing audible noise when the signal is amplified again. In these instances, higher-precision floating-point calculations can be beneficial. For room correction DSP, however the most attenuation one can apply will be around -15db.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Tambaqui is not a 1-bit dac.
I am quoting Bruno Putzeys here:

"The Tambaqui sits more or less in this camp: the PWM signal has a switching frequency of 3.125MHz, and can take 33 discrete lengths from 0*10ns to 32*10ns. So it's basically a 5-bit, 3.125MHz converter. The choice for PWM was given by the need to get rid of those idle tones I mentioned."
Well according to Tambaqui user manual, final conversion is at 1-bit 100MHz.

Sounds like it ends up as DSD to me...

1bit SDM = DSD

The part you quoted by Bruno is previous step, not final step, according to his own schematic
1710207575710.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
"Exciting news!
We're thrilled to offer an amazing combo that won't take up much space. Check out our superior-performing plates, D50 III and A50 III, at the unbeatable prices of US$229 and US$199 respectively." Topping on fb

Edit: D50 III is out
"SHENZHENAUDIO5" gives 5 USD rebate

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
"Exciting news!
We're thrilled to offer an amazing combo that won't take up much space. Check out our superior-performing plates, D50 III and A50 III, at the unbeatable prices of US$229 and US$199 respectively." Topping on fb

Thank you so much.

The most important part:

1710223428561.jpeg

Sadly, the note at the bottom is the deal breaker for me. As said earlier, a most unfortunate limitation.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
A50 III Headphone Amp, as well, for US$200:
9195059f-a9ab-47b5-85cf-b39474e33bed.png

4f87293f-293f-46a9-9262-e67b476b4773.jpg

Last edited:

benanders

Very nice.

Current list of China-based speaker companies is aweful to say the least.

(Photo from my List of Speaker companies from around the world)

This Chinese speaker list seems on the short side, if only slightly.
Is HiVi / Swan counted as being under Edifier?

What about KEF? Seems like it’s Chinese now, despite Blades etc. still being made in England.
Owned by a HKSAR company, which in turn is a subsidiary of another HKSAR company. Does it work differently, somehow?

Sorry - I realize this is a further tangent from the DAC thread…

bogi

Even 24 bit fixed point calculations are more than enough for audio. You do not need 64/80 bit float calculations in audio.
It depends on complexity of algorithm you are using and if PEQ is the only thing. When already running some DSP on computer, why not to use it also for room eq convolution or for example 5.1 to stereo. You can be interested in using anything from VST plugin world ... for example I like Goodherz CanOpener VST plugin for headphone crossfeed. Not so light on processing ... All DSP in modern players is running in 32 or 64bit floating point resolution including VST plugins. So it is rather about the basic question: Do you enter the computer DSP world, or not?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
:facepalm:
Using chatgpt to interpret basic information.
Where are we (as society) going?
:D

In this specific case it’s more about formulating a suspicion that I had but couldn’t find the words for. It’s hard to talk about ambiguity in a foreign language even if you feel you might be looking at one.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The marketing material on the site needs some correcting,"DSD125" does not exist as far as I know and in a couple of places there's "Daul" instead of "Dual".
Good to see nice filters.

boxerfan88

The marketing material on the site needs some correcting,"DSD125" does not exist as far as I know and in a couple of places there's "Daul" instead of "Dual".
Good to see nice filters.

Fingers too slow. “5” came after “12” was pressed. Typist must be exhausted.

Or hardware problems with the keyboard…

Top Bottom