• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Will take a look asap thanks -)

I read the ASR review about the Modulus 286 :

@tomchr also has an AP like Amir and as Hypex, Purify today, already back then published extensive measurements. This was not common in 2017 / 2018.

286. With DR ca 120dB for 26dB gain and THDpN see below.

1705836751598.png

686. With DR above 122dB at 26dB gain and THDpN see below.

1705836822275.png

Nowadays also thanks to Amir there are more options at lower prices as you know, such as the one in this thread. So back to topic. ;-)

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nowadays also thanks to Amir there are more options at lower prices as you know, such as the one in this thread. So back to topic. ;-)
This is exactly the reason why I went to the "Micro Bamboo" project ) check my signature )

20240117_135955_HDR.jpg

NiToNi

Would one Morsun LOF550-20B48-C be enough to power two 260-2-29A in a 4-channel amp? “Yes” according to 3ea but I'm worried that assumes a fan for 11.5A, not the derated 6.5A for natural cooling that I'm doing.

Would the Micro Audio SMPS630-SO be more powerful without a fan for just a bit more money?

Or would I be better off with two MP-H250S48, one for each module, within the same PSU budget, provided they fit the case?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Would one Morsun LOF550-20B48-C be enough to power two 260-2-29A in a 4-channel amp? “Yes” according to 3ea but I'm worried that assumes a fan for 11.5A, not the derated 6.5A for natural cooling that I'm doing.

Would the Micro Audio SMPS630-SO be more powerful without a fan for just a bit more money?

Or would I be better off with two MP-H250S48, one for each module, within the same PSU budget, provided they fit the case?
The Micro audio will provide 13A@46V
As explained in my "Micro Bamboo" project this unregulated psu will bring a better dynamic specially in the lower spectrum.
Check my thread )

brunes

How do you work out how many smps you need? I understand the micro audio 630 will run x2 3e mono boards...

NiToNi

As explained in my "Micro Bamboo" project this unregulated psu will bring a better dynamic specially in the lower spectrum.
Check my thread )
Thanks. I can’t find in the manual though what the derated current is at the higher temps expected when no fan.

cfwotzka

Check my thread )
is the better dynamic due to the PSU being unregulated or due the higher current it can provide? thx in advance

daniboun

Major Contributor
is the better dynamic due to the PSU being unregulated or due the higher current it can provide? thx in advance
> because it is not regulated

Magnusen

Hello! MP-H250S48
bipolar power supply +48 -48
TPA 3255 unipolar power supply. How did you connect?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello! MP-H250S48
bipolar power supply +48 -48
TPA 3255 unipolar power supply. How did you connect?

You need a single rail PSU.
The MP-H250S48 is a single rail : + -

+ > goes to PVDD
- > goes to ground (GND)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Last edited:

timiambeing

I've been watching this thread with interest as I have been playing with the idea of another Class D amplifier build, but I have what might be considered a very basic query - but this is not really about the build, its more a about whether such a build is actually worth pursuing just now?

You see when my Line Magnetic tube amplifier went pop it had to go away for repair and I was left without any kind of amp in my main system. Just as a bit of fun (and after reading a few reviews) I ordered a Fosi V3 TPA3255 based little desktop amp with its counterpart P3 tube pre amp, I thought I would have a bit of fun whilst my main amp was away and then I would have a spare for maybe the bedroom when the big amp returned.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I was amazed at the amount of power (with 48v power brick) on tap, my speakers had never been so well controlled, plus the information retrieval was nothing short of eye opening for me, what a silly little amp to make such a grown up sound! I've been in this hobby for decades, many bits of kit have come and gone, some ridiculously expensive and some quite sensible, but I've never countenanced shoving a £99 amp on the end of a Lumin U1 Mini feeding a Denafrips Pontus II front end!

So of course as a complete hifi nut I soon thought much better could be achieved by a 'proper' Class D design, so keeping funds at a reasonable level (because one day the LM will no doubt arrive back!) I built an ICEPower 125asx2 kit, which dwarfed the Fosi and was duly placed in charge of music making at chez Tim!

After a couple of weeks I started to notice I was skipping tracks, unticking previous favourite albums and it came to me, maybe this ICEPower wasn't the bees knees I presumed it would be. So as an experiment I put back the Fosi combo and well, all my prejudices went out the window. Of course the Fosi could not quite match the power and speed of the ICEPower design, but compared to a wall of sometimes ear splitting data, the Fosi just seemed to separate the strands of the music much better. There was no loss of information at all, the tiniest snare tap, the slightest intake of breath were all apparent - they just sounded so much, well, nicer? More real? I even listened to a David Sylvian 'best of' all the way through, and it sounded great, even the distorted 80's synths!

So, my hifi rack is is looking a bit unbalanced, with big esoteric audiophile boxes on the bottom rungs and a set of toy town amps on the top :cool: and I would love nothing more than to plonk another big black class D amplifier build up there...but seriously, if a factory built mass produced crowd pleasing bit of kit like the Fosi can sound so amazing, is there really a worthwhile improvement in sound quality from something like this latest 3255 design at three times the price?

Not trying to be a troll or anything, I am genuinely fascinated by class D now and for what we seem to be able to get for the money. I'm thinking the Line Magnetic, when it arrives back, could soon be looking for a new home - releasing funds for a very interesting build from one of Bruno's latest designs?! :)

lazerharp

I've been watching this thread with interest as I have been playing with the idea of another Class D amplifier build, but I have what might be considered a very basic query - but this is not really about the build, its more a about whether such a build is actually worth pursuing just now?

You see when my Line Magnetic tube amplifier went pop it had to go away for repair and I was left without any kind of amp in my main system. Just as a bit of fun (and after reading a few reviews) I ordered a Fosi V3 TPA3255 based little desktop amp with its counterpart P3 tube pre amp, I thought I would have a bit of fun whilst my main amp was away and then I would have a spare for maybe the bedroom when the big amp returned.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I was amazed at the amount of power (with 48v power brick) on tap, my speakers had never been so well controlled, plus the information retrieval was nothing short of eye opening for me, what a silly little amp to make such a grown up sound! I've been in this hobby for decades, many bits of kit have come and gone, some ridiculously expensive and some quite sensible, but I've never countenanced shoving a £99 amp on the end of a Lumin U1 Mini feeding a Denafrips Pontus II front end!

So of course as a complete hifi nut I soon thought much better could be achieved by a 'proper' Class D design, so keeping funds at a reasonable level (because one day the LM will no doubt arrive back!) I built an ICEPower 125asx2 kit, which dwarfed the Fosi and was duly placed in charge of music making at chez Tim!

After a couple of weeks I started to notice I was skipping tracks, unticking previous favourite albums and it came to me, maybe this ICEPower wasn't the bees knees I presumed it would be. So as an experiment I put back the Fosi combo and well, all my prejudices went out the window. Of course the Fosi could not quite match the power and speed of the ICEPower design, but compared to a wall of sometimes ear splitting data, the Fosi just seemed to separate the strands of the music much better. There was no loss of information at all, the tiniest snare tap, the slightest intake of breath were all apparent - they just sounded so much, well, nicer? More real? I even listened to a David Sylvian 'best of' all the way through, and it sounded great, even the distorted 80's synths!

So, my hifi rack is is looking a bit unbalanced, with big esoteric audiophile boxes on the bottom rungs and a set of toy town amps on the top :cool: and I would love nothing more than to plonk another big black class D amplifier build up there...but seriously, if a factory built mass produced crowd pleasing bit of kit like the Fosi can sound so amazing, is there really a worthwhile improvement in sound quality from something like this latest 3255 design at three times the price?

Not trying to be a troll or anything, I am genuinely fascinated by class D now and for what we seem to be able to get for the money. I'm thinking the Line Magnetic, when it arrives back, could soon be looking for a new home - releasing funds for a very interesting build from one of Bruno's latest designs?! :)
I have had the same experience. I bought a Fosi ZA3 for my office and was stunned of the power and sound. So I put the ZA3 in my main system replacing a Naim set up with pre and power amplifier including separate special PSUs . The system costs around €6000.

I´m not saying that the ZA3 is a better amplifier but it has much better separation, space, stereo image, controlled base etc. The Naim setup has fantastic midrange especially for voices. Very easy to listen to.
I ended up selling the Naim and ordered one more ZA3 for mono setup. I liked the Naim setup better for somethings and the other way around. So if the price were the same i would keep the Naim. But, one of the main reason is that I think these new amps will change the scene totally (they have already). So better sell the equipment now while it´s worth anything. I will keep the ZA3 and maybe bulid something with TPA3255 260-2-29A. Lots of inspiration here. :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
I have had the same experience. I bought a Fosi ZA3 for my office and was stunned of the power and sound. So I put the ZA3 in my main system replacing a Naim set up with pre and power amplifier including separate special PSUs . The system costs around €6000.

I´m not saying that the ZA3 is a better amplifier but it has much better separation, space, stereo image, controlled base etc. The Naim setup has fantastic midrange especially for voices. Very easy to listen to.
I ended up selling the Naim and ordered one more ZA3 for mono setup. I liked the Naim setup better for somethings and the other way around. So if the price were the same i would keep the Naim. But, one of the main reason is that I think these new amps will change the scene totally (they have already). So better sell the equipment now while it´s worth anything. I will keep the ZA3 and maybe bulid something with TPA3255 260-2-29A. Lots of inspiration here. :)

If you like the FOSI ZA3, the 3E Audio 260-2-29A and 480-1-29A modules are really better, the measurement results are clear!
I'm pretty well known on this forum and others for my Class D designs so believe me, I've tested a bunch of amps and this 3E Audio module stands out from the crowd.
As I already said, the PFFB implementation provides a lot for TPA325X type modules and the ASR reviews clearly demonstrate this.
If you consider the right PSU + 3E Audio coupling, see my Micro-Bamboo project, you will have a remarkable amp at a super reasonable price!

lazerharp

If you like the FOSI ZA3, the 3E Audio 260-2-29A and 480-1-29A modules are really better, the measurement results are clear!
I'm pretty well known on this forum and others for my Class D designs so believe me, I've tested a bunch of amps and this 3E Audio module stands out from the crowd.
As I already said, the PFFB implementation provides a lot for TPA325X type modules and the ASR reviews clearly demonstrate this.
If you consider the right PSU + 3E Audio coupling, see my Micro-Bamboo project, you will have a remarkable amp at a super reasonable price!
Yes, I understand that. I have watch all threads about it and I have seen your amazing project. I actually thinking of building one of them. I still have fonds left after the sale of the other equipment, Thanks for all inspiration.

Another question @daniboun . How big difference do you experience between the mono and stereo setup?

Last edited:
Top Bottom