• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 124 40.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.1%

• Total voters

F1308

Major Contributor
RCA inputs...?

Not interested, thanks.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The overall price to value for what you get here is incredible. We’re talking about $2 bucks +/- a few cents per watt. All while landing in the Excellent category for SINAD.

We are in the land of “Field of Dreams” for Amplification. So much performance for so little. Allowing the cost concise folks to achieve 2ch excellence on a tight budget. What’s not to like here. Great product and great review Amir. Thank you sir for your dedication to the Audio world. The SINAD Geek Club is overjoyed. :cool:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's exactly my power amp, I bought it on the trust of hypex and audiophonics, and I see I made a good choice.
I use my Cambridge audio cxa61 as a pre-amplifier and the performance is fantastic.

D700

That is very competent performance as far as noise+distortion (SINAD):
View attachment 290341

Zooming in:
View attachment 290342
@amirm
I've held off for a long long time out of respect for the volume of great content. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to report you to the Bar Graph Police. They have some wonderful diversion programs for recovering Microsoft Excel users. Its not too late.

Regards
D

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Picture's data field says Parasound 2125, is this a wrong picture or wrong text?

I replaced that same Parasound with one of these. I actually laughed out loud when I took the Audiophonics out of the box. The Parasound weighs about ten times more, and is four times the size. You can put one of these things anywhere.

D

Deleted member 48726

Why do most of these amps have power on/off noise?

Why don't they implement a delayed output relay like we know from A/B class?

It detracts greatly from the quality impression if I were to hear a pop everytime I turn on my amplifier.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd be surprised.
The power increase is minimal with two power supplies. Around 40 watts of difference @2Ohm and @4Ohm and better headroom within the power supply. Two NCx500 modules are hitting the upper peak of one SMPS1200. There is slightly better crosstalk in a dual mono design with two power supplies. But not much.

Interesting.
(And, for once, the Apollon is even cheaper.
Usually, it's quite opposite)

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There seems to be significant 60Hz hum in this amp - tha Hypex module doesn't do that. And 5dB difference between the channels in S/N ... one of them is not working to it's full specs.
I built mono amps with the 250W module from Hypex - you get 123dB S/N out of these in the original state and even more with modifications.

S-N original.PNG

A weighted noise of the original module:
noise level A original.png

Hiten

If not proper soft start, wouldn't a low value high voltage film capacitor on power switch or NTC help in somewhat taming down on off noise ?

VQR

Two amps measured in a row? We're eating good. Hopefully we see more amp measurements soon. ;)

F1308

Major Contributor
It might have been a great option years ago, not now, in my humble opinion.

I think it might be the time to revise those ranges in the amplifier arena: lots of amplifiers delivering astounding SINADs.

Reactions: VQR

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do most of these amps have power on/off noise?

Why don't they implement a delayed output relay like we know from A/B class?

It detracts greatly from the quality impression if I were to hear a pop everytime I turn on my amplifier.
I use three of them and do not hear a pop when I trigger on via my Denon AVR

D

Deleted member 48726

I use three of them and do not hear a pop when I trigger on via my Denon AVR
That's good for you. But most reviews show it so it is a thing. And maybe trigger on is different than using the switch.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using this amp to power one of my pairs of Focal Aria 906 since december 2019. Even at a few centimeters from the tweeters, it produces zero noise (hiss, hum...). The pop on on/off is there but I don't care about it much. As for power, it is sufficient for me.
It is a lot smaller than your typical amp (if you except all the small amps by Topping, SMSL, etc.). For example you can lay it on a computer tower.

Thanks Amir for your review!

Edit: I have the XLR version. Thanks @VintageFlanker. And perhaps it's the 252 I have in fact... hmm I have to check! I have the S500NC also, by the way, and without complain neither, but it is a lot bigger of course.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's good for you. But most reviews show it so it is a thing. And maybe trigger on is different than using the switch.
3mV is around 20dB below 5W, maybe you are not hearing it.

Top Bottom