• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 248 80.8%

• Total voters

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
What would be some rules to help determine in advance if this amp has enough power for the purchaser?
Here is a good link. There are many available just do a search for how much amp do I need.

Here is an existing ASR Thread about this topic: Happy reading ;)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In your case, is comment specific to Salon 2's or you want more power in general?
My bridged pair has more power than I'll ever need for my Salon 2's

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is general advice I give to people (get more power than you think you need) but in my situation, it definitely applies with Salon 2 in very large space.
How loud do you listen to and at what distance?

I know a lot of people listen at high 70's to mid 80's, that's insanely loud for me personally.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The point is it costs 10x more per watt than NCx500 based amps, and has 20dB more IMD. Even if you think that the IMD is inaudible, what makes it worth 10x more per watt? Isn’t the purpose of this forum so people walk away more educated than before they came? Or is it simply an advertising platform for industry friends? Personal technology biases based on misunderstanding of new technology doesn’t educate anyone either.
Again, glass houses and stones, pots and kettles, all that.

You seem personally invested in everyone buying the hardware you deem the best value. That's not a very healthy way to approach a hobby.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What would be some rules to help determine in advance if this amp has enough power for the purchaser?
You need to know how loudly you listen, your speaker's sensitivity, listening distance from them, and general idea of the room treatment if any. An online calculator such as this can help: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

FYI, I find 80 dB average power to be very loud, and assuming 17~20 dB for peaks (a factor of 50~100 in power) is reasonable to avoid clipping.

denydog

No, the problem is when I come on a forum that’s supposed to be based on objective facts only, this is what I expect to see. I have not expressed any personal biases in any of my posts. They have all been 100% data driven.
I just finished reading this whole thread. Lot of redundancy there.

When you said a while back "So the PCB’s are populated in the USA? I highly doubt it. More like assembled in the USA just like the US based class D guys assembling class D amps in the USA from foreign populated PCB’s." Not very data driven. I get the feeling you're just on a mission to denigrate the AHB2, and convince people that like it they are fools.

You are wrong about the PCBs, and the rest of it is a waste of time, but might be entertaining for you I imagine.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the problem is when I come on a forum that’s supposed to be based on objective facts only,
Where did you read this? I must have missed it maybe you can point to the sign so we can all see it.
The objective facts about this amplifier are on page 1 of the review. That's what the forum is based on not what X decides is a good buy.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and that objective data alone shows us this amp is poor value compare to comparable options.
Value has nothing to do with it. If I want to spend 10x per watt more for this amp then it's my prerogative. The objective facts in the review showed me this is amplifier is well designed and manufactured. It meets the specifications the manufacturer claimed. That's it. What something is worth is an economic decision not an engineering problem, not something to be measured with an AP analyzer. You think the amplifier is over priced, fine, others don't which is fine as well. One of the first things you learn in economics, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Clearly the Benchmark is worth it's price, plenty of people pay it.

denydog

So do you have any actual facts on where the PCB’s are manufactured and populated? This would be welcome information. And if you have pictures or videos of the Benchmark US PCB factory I’m sure readers of this thread will be thrilled to view them.
There's that sarcastic tone again. I don't have videos. Check out the Benchmark website or or Google youtube if you want to know what you're talking about. They're all over the place..

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

made in usa.png

RndmLstner

B
I wouldn't sweat over 2dB difference, but would it be pointless to get custom speaker cables with speakon for the amp side and locking bananas for the speakers?
Benchmark has you covered:

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Designed, tested and assembled is a cop out for the actual manufacturing and population of the boards being in the far east. Show me the US based factory with the smiles on the faces of American citizens on the front lines populating these boards.
The pictures are right on their facebook page and youtube. They've been building stuff for 40 years in the US.
Please let us know the GPS location of that video.
Next thing you'll be saying is the moon landing was faked.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

denydog

The dishonesty of the people surrounding this company is as dirty as it gets. I need to shower to feel right. Hopefully with education this can change.
Sorry you were wrong. I know you will never admit it.

You should have just stopped with, Some class D has lower IM distortion, and the Benchmark amp is expensive, but you had to go into value and other subjective arguments. What do they call it when someone goes on a forum to stir up bs? Now you've gone off the deep end.

I like class D, but not arguing about it. Have a nice life.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think the problem with the pricing is what you’re getting for the price, rather than simply the price. People are using words like “end-game” and other superlatives to describe this amplifier as being superior to other amps costing 10x less per watt. Yet refuse to offer any evidence of the superiority. We already seen the measurements. So are you guys referring to the faceplate? The feet? Some are saying it’s made in the USA. So the PCB’s are populated in the USA? I highly doubt it. More like assembled in the USA just like the US based class D guys assembling class D amps in the USA from foreign populated PCB’s.
End-game for me is the last and probably best I will be able to afford after retirement and before death.

Yes, it's all about the feet, that's all I care about...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How loud do you listen to and at what distance?
I listen loud enough that my 1000 watt amplifiers completely run out of power! Remember, the first few watts incrementally get quite a bit louder. But doubling from 500 to 1000 watts is nothing. The curve flattens quickly.....

Top Bottom