• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Nothing special, just manufactured to specification
2) Absolutely, I touched on this in the NCx thread.

I can't find anything on Buckeye Power Use while idle for NCx500 on the Buckeye website. Can you please share the details for idle power use and after 10 minutes idle?
I'm also having trouble finding it under the NCx thread.

Also, is the Buckeye Purifi available with the OPA1656 op-amps? Bruno Putzeys is recommending OPA1656 op-amp as his favorite for Purifi builds. Thank you.

Atmosphered

I can't find anything on Buckeye Power Use while idle for NCx500 on the Buckeye website. Can you please share the details for idle power use and after 10 minutes idle?

Also, is the Buckeye Purifi available with the OPA1656 op-amps? Bruno Putzeys is recommending OPA1656 op-amp as his favorite for Purifi builds. Thank you.
The op-amps are the TI OPA1612 chips. You would have to talk with Buckeye to see if they have considered upgrading those chips to Bruno's recommended TI op-amps, at least on their Purifi amps. Of course, that would probably also mean upgrading the circuit boards being utilized in Dylan's builds. Whether or not that would make the price of the amps cost prohibitive for Buckeye's apparent market, I don't know. It would definitely require a redesign of some kind.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

The idle power needs to be updated/added to the site. In the NCx thread earlier today I mentioned we are working on incorporating an idle feature for the Micro Audio SMPS'

No plans to switch to the 1656 yet as it is not necessary (no audible advantage over the 1612)

Atmosphered

The idle power needs to be updated/added to the site. In the NCx thread earlier today I mentioned we are working on incorporating an idle feature for the Micro Audio SMPS'

No plans to switch to the 1656 yet as it is not necessary (no audible advantage over the 1612)
Has their been a stated specific reason as to why Bruno recommends the 1656 with his Purifi modules? A particular "house sound" characteristic or signature perhaps?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Has their been a stated specific reason as to why Bruno recommends the 1656 with his Purifi modules? A particular "house sound" characteristic perhaps?
Absolutely no house sound involved in the equation, as the whole point of Bruno's (and Hypex as well) designs is neutral/uncolored sound. Which both the 1612 and 1656 abide by.

There is a slight measured difference between the two (and I mean slight), but audibly they are going to sound the same.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has their been a stated specific reason as to why Bruno recommends the 1656 with his Purifi modules? A particular "house sound" characteristic or signature perhaps?

Bruno Putzeys of Purifi indicates he prefers the TI OPA1656 even though on paper the OPA1612 looks better. His explanation is, "It's worth getting a hold of the OPA1656 as it’s input impedance is higher and much more linear than the OPA1612. The OPA1656 will perform better in many applications.”

To hear Bruno's discussion on OPA1656 scroll forward to 33.01 in the video below.

I have a Boxem 4215/E2 Purifi amp with the TI OPA1656 and a March Audio P452 with the OPA1612. They both sound nice. The OPA1656 would probably be my choice if I had an option. But most listeners won't be able to tell a difference.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the sonic differences between the PURIFI 1ET400A and the Hypex NCx500?

None. NCx500 provides more power though. The current roughly equivalent modules are Purifi 1ET400a = Hypex Nilai, and Purifi 1ET7040SA = Nypex NCx500.

The latter have more current-handling capacity and higher max output power. IMHO there are rather limited home hi-fi applications where those are needed and the 1ET400a or Nilai will be more than adequate in most cases. I'm sure someone will jump in to disagree with me on that though. :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None. NCx500 provides more power though. The current roughly equivalent modules are Purifi 1ET400a = Hypex Nilai, and Purifi 1ET7040SA = Nypex NCx500.

The latter have more current-handling capacity and higher max output power. IMHO there are rather limited home hi-fi applications where those are needed and the 1ET400a or Nilai will be more than adequate in most cases. I'm sure someone will jump in to disagree with me on that though. :)
I believe the Nilai is only available for DIY projects and not for commercial applications.

catastrofe

Can you have too many watts? :D:D:D

EdW

I hope I’m not jumping in here but I’d urge a little caution when considering the output power of class D amplifiers. The best deliver what they say, However perhaps we’re used to class AB amps with transformer, rectifier capacitor power supplies and output stages with very little current limiting. These amps would happily deliver power into low impedance speakers until the power rail slowly begins to sag and we hit voltage limit. With class D amps and switched mode power supplies the limit is a hard limit. First off the quoted current limit is a typical peak value not the guaranteed limit of a unclipped sine wave. Secondly there is a thermal limit to the module and its assembly. The ability to dissipate heat may be restricted in some constructions. The class D amp may very wisely decide to shut down if it overheats in a low Z load. Lastly a SMPS will shut down quite sharply if excess power is drawn.

Now this would be OK perhaps if 4 Ohm speakers were just that. But look at some of the better speakers on the market - here is a review by @John Atkinson in Stereophile of the KEF Blade 2 meta where he measures the load presented to the amp.

This drops to 2.8 Ohms in the mid bass region where all the audio power is. In fact many 4 Ohm speakers behave this way.
If you talk to BoXem or March Audio they would recommend the use of amplifiers employing the 1ET7040 module if you want voltage clip to be the limiting factor for such a load BoXem suggest a 3 Ohm limit for the 1ET400 modules for instance If you want voltage clip to be the limiting factor.
But let‘s not get too obsessed here - I drive a set of KEF Blade 2 metas with a March Audio P501 (7040 based) and I hit an unpleasantly loud peak SPL of very approx 110dB at the listening position with the DAC set at -10dB or approx 25W/8 Ohm. So perhaps this all doesn’t matter too much anyway!

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
I hope I’m not jumping in here but I’d urge a little caution when considering the output power of class D amplifiers. The best deliver what they say, However perhaps we’re used to class AB amps with transformer, rectifier capacitor power supplies and output stages with very little current limiting. These amps would happily deliver power into low impedance speakers until the power rail slowly begins to sag and we hit voltage limit. With class D amps and switched mode power supplies the limit is a hard limit. First off the quoted current limit is a typical peak value not the guaranteed limit of a unclipped sine wave. Secondly there is a thermal limit to the module and its assembly. The ability to dissipate heat may be restricted in some constructions. The class D amp may very wisely decide to shut down if it overheats in a low Z load. Lastly a SMPS will shut down quite sharply if excess power is drawn.

Now this would be OK perhaps if 4 Ohm speakers were just that. But look at some of the better speakers on the market - here is a review by @John Atkinson in Stereophile of the KEF Blade 2 meta where he measures the load presented to the amp.

This drops to 2.8 Ohms in the mid bass region where all the audio power is. In fact many 4 Ohm speakers behave this way.
If you talk to BoXem or March Audio they would recommend the use of amplifiers employing the 1ET7040 module if you want voltage clip to be the limiting factor for such a load BoXem suggest a 3 Ohm limit for the 1ET400 modules for instance If you want voltage clip to be the limiting factor.
But let‘s not get too obsessed here - I drive a set of KEF Blade 2 metas with a March Audio P501 (7040 based) and I hit an unpleasantly loud peak SPL of very approx 110dB at the listening position with the DAC set at -10dB or approx 25W/8 Ohm. So perhaps this all doesn’t matter too much anyway!
All true, and as you say, perahps doesn't matter too much. Maybe, what should be better understood is what happens when the amp reaches its limit i.e. does the amplifier's protection circuitry gracefully handle the situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: EdW

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All true, and as you say, perahsp doesn't matter too much. Maybe, what should be better understood is what happens when the amp reaches its limit i.e. does the amplifier's protection circuitry gracefully handle the situation?

That really doesn't matter either. The chance you could reach a Purifi amps limit are fantastically low. You would have to try hard to get there. Buckeye owners who attempted to get the clipping light to come on for a second had to use ear protection and make sure no one else was home as it was crazy loud. 99% of audio users will never come close to the power limits of a Purifi amp. The Purifi amp design offers the best energy efficiency, runs much cooler than Hypex models and sounds indistinguishable from the best Hypex amp design. What's not to like?

EdW

All true, and as you say, perahps doesn't matter too much. Maybe, what should be better understood is what happens when the amp reaches its limit i.e. does the amplifier's protection circuitry gracefully handle the situation?
I suspect voltage clip on some amps may be more benign than current limiting. But pictures of Purifi amp waveform in current limit seem just fine. Are all the other amps as good? And what happens if the SMPS collapses?
i should have said in my earlier post that Buckeye amps also seem to take performance seriously and like March Audio have moved away from Hypex for some of their SMPS.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps

Any updates on when the new purifi 9040 modules will start to arrive???
About to begin final testing of our production model in the coming weeks.

Have been behind on everything but order fulfilment the last two weeks due to a tragic loss of a close friend. Getting back into things this week.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About to begin final testing of our production model in the coming weeks.

Have been behind on everything but order fulfilment the last two weeks due to a tragic loss of a close friend. Getting back into things this week.

Sorry to hear of your loss...

Thanks for your update. Any idea when the modules will start arriving? Will you be using the new Purifi buffer or your own?

Top Bottom