• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fun with vinyl measurements

OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
More test data on the little SUT Sony HA T-10=Ortofon T-5
1688388345781.png

1688388402588.png

Reactions: VQR

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This can be calculated - in most cases for most MC's the inductances involved are so low that the actual impact is completely negiligible (and well below - order of magnitude? - the ability to accurately measure)
Yes, MCs tend to have very low inductance so if no SUT is involved, the electrical resonance can be 100KHz to 5 MHz (and a lot of phono preamps have troubles with the RFI generated, hence 'loading resistors' which are really for the benefit of the preamp rather than the cartridge.
The inductance of an SUT is an entirely different matter. One must always be careful when putting a capacitance in parallel with inductance. You may not get the results you were expecting ;)
and you, you feel personnal,that you are no longer embarrassed from what threshold of wow-flutter?
(but the opportunity to ask, (or question to yourself), the question a little to all..
see can be associate this observation with what is essentially listening as a type of music etc. ;-) )
I'm sure if I was feeling personnal I'd embarrasing myself and also be getting in trouble with HR. My associate observed I was listening to essential music.

OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
IMG_9294.jpeg
IMG_9295.jpeg
IMG_9298.png

Something arrived from Tokyo today. So now I just need that Jico stylus…
I wonder what the faint letters in the from means…R8 or RB.

Seems to designate 1978 February

Last edited:
OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Last edited:

atmasphere

Technical Expert
Audio Company
How do you separate the distortion of the cartridge vs the tracking issues of the arm? Isn't it more correct to say these measurements are for the cartridge and arm combination?

OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
You cannot play a cartridge without an arm, so the two are inseparable. But it is possible to compare results for one cartridge in different arms of course. For a reasonable good arm the cartridge should dominate the result. More important than the arm is the cartridge alignment, that can really make a difference.

morillon

Major Contributor
How do you separate the distortion of the cartridge vs the tracking issues of the arm? Isn't it more correct to say these measurements are for the cartridge and arm combination?
if it is not a linear arm... becomes very dependent on the position of the test signal on the disc...
comparing the thd characteristics of the different discs becomes very relative.. with a constant arm-cartdrige.... especially if an arm is rather short...
and you may have to add the variables due to the antiskating, if the level of the test does not correspond to that used for its adjustment...

atmasphere

Technical Expert
Audio Company
if it is not a linear arm... becomes very dependent on the position of the test signal on the disc...
comparing the thd characteristics of the different discs becomes very relative.. with a constant arm-cartdrige.... especially if an arm is rather short...
and you may have to add the variables due to the antiskating, if the level of the test does not correspond to that used for its adjustment...

Yes. At best you have a relative measurement, not one reflecting that of the media or even the transducer itself.

OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
You have the same “problem” when you play music. If you consider it a problem play a CD and forget about vinyl…

OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Read somewhere that the tolerance in the SME type heashell/Bajonet fastener has sufficient play to affect the Azimuth and crosstalk. I deceided to check this and made one test recording with the headshell pushed clockwise while locking, and one with it pushed counter-clockwise. The headshell has no detectable play!! but it has an effect, look at the crosstalk...
I loaded the cartridge for maximum flatness by the way, that is why the load is far from the standard
Stylus is aluminium Hyperelliptical by Tonar Made in Japan 6449
1693140114650.png

But plots like this does not tell the full story, it has a sibilance the makes S sound like Tszz, maybe I need higher VTA for proper tracking , it passes the tracking tests at 80um but still… A Jico SAS /B should do the trick I guess

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
I've never ran across an SME style connector that didn't have detectable play.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Read somewhere that the tolerance in the SME type heashell/Bajonet fastener has sufficient play to affect the Azimuth and crosstalk. I deceided to check this and made one test recording with the headshell pushed clockwise while locking, and one with it pushed counter-clockwise. The headshell has no detectable play!! but it has an effect, look at the crosstalk...
I loaded the cartridge for maximum flatness by the way, that is what the load is far from the standard
Stylus is aluminium Hyperelliptical by Tonar Made in Japan
View attachment 308164
I've always been bemused by audiophiles who have a handful of multi-thousand dollar cartridges in swappable headshells which they change depending on the day of the week. I'd rather havea single good cartridge in a rigid, well-damped single-piece or bonded armtube+headshell.

USER

Forum Donor
OP
Balle Clorin

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Not sure how to lubricant it or what you mean by “luck flipping… “English is not my language, will turning it upside down give lubrication?shift oil around?

Everything seems to work and speed very near perfect based on strobe disk. It was in regular use until 6months ago, a widow sold it , possibly only one owner..

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
Not sure how to lubricant it or what you mean by “luck flipping… “English is not my language, will turning it upside down give lubrication?shift oil around?

Everything seems to work and speed very near perfect based on strobe disk. It was in regular use until 6months ago, a widow sold it , possibly only one owner..
1982-83
(cleaning and change of lubrication, and testing of new lubricants if it has been turned a lot seems welcome...
can be difficult on some machines of these times lubricated ads "for life" ... but the merit in general .....
runs for how long on "empty"?
the figures found are below what this type of machine should reasonably offer ;-) )

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
old denon with reservoir (the case there?) can be annoying.....must take two precautions..one, keep the old oil as much as possible, because even if degraded by time, it allows you to observe its type, its viscosity etc.. and, carefully observe the original level because if of course not enough will pose problems.. too much will also pose problems
;-)

Top Bottom