• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Tangband

Major Contributor
It seems to me this speaker may have a Butterworth crossover instead of the more common Linkwitz-Riley crossover?
It would mean the on-axis is indeed at a little bit lower angle than used in the measurements.
A Butterworth crossover is more unstable at the on-axis than a Linkwitz-Riley. It has both a peak of +3dB and a notch off-axis and the total power response is flat.
Are you sure about that ?
The levels are down -6 dB both HP och LP att crossoverpoint, indicating a Linkwitz Riley 12 dB/oct filter topology ?
177CD9B9-E7BA-405B-8F89-695E80EC2B4D.png

YSC

Major Contributor
Sometimes I just think: amirm please get me one well measured real budget active speaker, maybe the Genelec G series or Adam TXV series or focal alpha something so that my bank can be saved from going rupt

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Genelec G series isn't really cheaper then the 80x0 models, its just their "home" version with RCA input.
They are designed to integrate with their sub that works as a DAC/pre amp with remote for a full system. It’s quite brilliant, I just wish their analog connections were all balanced. The monitors still have the XLR input as an option though.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are designed to integrate with their sub that works as a DAC/pre amp with remote for a full system.
They just have an additional ISS Autostart function which the early 80x0 generations didn't have but the current ones also do, the measurements are identical to their 80x0 siblings, so one could theoretically also use their studio subs or the home F subs for the 80x0.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
They just have an additional ISS Autostart function which the early 80x0 generations didn't have but the current ones also do, the measurements are identical to their 80x0 siblings, so one could theoretically also use their studio subs or the home F subs for the 80x0.
I was looking to get the G Three, but ended up ordering the 8030c. I thought the SE input might have come in handy one day... I ordered the 8030c in white, they look identical.

temps

So you finally bought the LYD-5? Does it sound more right to you as in honest reproduction? I asked because I saw ppl recommending Adam A7X over the 8030 and 8040s saying they are better suited for mixing and have better bass definition, which I doubt after seeing this measurement with ruler flat Genelec

I picked up LYD 7s last night. I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go up one size.

Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but will report back and post REW measurements comparing the old Adams to the Dynaudios.

YSC

Major Contributor
I picked up LYD 7s last night. I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go up one size.

Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but will report back and post REW measurements comparing the old Adams to the Dynaudios.
Great, I am sure the LYD will be very flat in FR, and personally I am always a fan of the Adam's ribbon tweeter (hence my target for T5Vs), really wanna see how they compares

_Bass

Looking forward to your impressions and measurements! I never listened to Dynaudio, but wonder how they compare to Genelecs :)

temps

Great, I am sure the LYD will be very flat in FR, and personally I am always a fan of the Adam's ribbon tweeter (hence my target for T5Vs), really wanna see how they compares

I actually had REW charts handy for the Adams... this clearly illustrates the one weakness of the design. No waveguide + ribbon tweeter = very, very small sweet spot.

1596127253150.png

What you see here is about a 5 degree difference in toe from the blue line to the red one. The T series has the same waveguide they use on the S2V so no doubt they are much better in this regard. I did more tweaks after this and got them to be a bit flatter, but it's still not great. At this point I'd actually recommend the T monitors over the As. The A design is just too old.

Looking forward to your impressions and measurements! I never listened to Dynaudio, but wonder how they compare to Genelecs :)

When you look at the technology involved, the Genelecs seem like a clear winner, but I wasn't super stoked on the low end response of any of the current 5" monitors out there. I think my existing monitors are as good or better, especially when compared to the Neumanns.

So I started looking at 7" monitors, and the Genelec 8040 is a revision out of date compared to the 8030. I didn't think it sounded very good - it had only a tiny bit more low end extension, a sixth of an octave (if that) and the bass was "slow" sounding. Assuming the group delay for the 8040 is the same as the published figures for the 8340, there's over 20ms of delay at 50hz. It doesn't work for the genres of music I enjoy and mix the most.

But, if I don't get on with the LYD 7s, I'll try the 8030s next. I have a separate demo for APS Klasik 2020s later this month as well.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Question for those who have and use Genelec SAM speakers or who understands the tech well, does REW cover all the same functionality as GLM? Can I expect to achieve similar results manually using REW and an equalizer like what Roon offers, or is there more to it?

I’ve been lusting a few larger, more expensive Genelec speakers for my main system and I’m wondering if going for a SAM 8300’ speaker is worth the extra cost.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming the group delay for the 8040 is the same as the published figures for the 8340, there's over 20ms of delay at 50hz. It doesn't work for the genres of music I enjoy and mix the most.

I don't think they are the same speaker(8340 uses different amps, at the least, and also seems to have better FR), but hmm? Group Delay @ 50hz is under 20ms for the 8340A. Also, this is still under the 1 cycle audibility threshold which is 20ms at 50hz. Yes, a good sealed sub will be closer to 10ms at 50hz, I suppose, but this doesn't seem particularly bad or anything.

tKDmjjb.png

temps

I don't think they are the same speaker(8340 uses different amps, at the least, and also seems to have better FR), but hmm? Group Delay @ 50hz is under 20ms for the 8340A. Also, this is still under the 1 cycle audibility threshold which is 20ms at 50hz. Yes, a good sealed sub will be closer to 10ms at 50hz, I suppose, but this doesn't seem particularly bad or anything.

tKDmjjb.png
1596133601958.png

My bad, I misread the chart. Too distracted today to be attempting to sound smart. BUT the 8040/8340 play lower than 50hz though and judging from the slope of the line... I suspect things get pretty out of control at the bottom of their ranges.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad, I misread the chart. Too distracted today to be attempting to sound smart. BUT the 8040/8340 play lower than 50hz though and judging from the slope of the line... I suspect things get pretty out of control at the bottom of their ranges.

I really doubt it exceeds 1 cycle at any frequency it plays though, it looks to me like they are intentionally keeping it under that. That would be 25ms at 40hz. Like everything else about Genelecs, I'm sure that's all deliberate and most likely the reason is that they introduce some group delay with DSP correction because it's an overall improvement.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Question for those who have and use Genelec SAM speakers or who understands the tech well, does REW cover all the same functionality as GLM? Can I expect to achieve similar results manually using REW and an equalizer like what Roon offers, or is there more to it?

I’ve been lusting a few larger, more expensive Genelec speakers for my main system and I’m wondering if going for a SAM 8300’ speaker is worth the extra cost.
Others here are far more knowledgeable than I, but my sense is that you can probably do just as well with REW and EQ. GLM makes it really easy, and the settings got saved directly into my 8320s, which is nice for clearing up cables and equipment. But the little plastic mic that came with the GLM unit seemed flimsy compared to Umik-1. Note also it's not just the additional expense of the speakers, you also have to buy the GLM module in addition. That ran another $300...

Reactions: mkt

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Others here are far more knowledgeable than I, but my sense is that you can probably do just as well with REW and EQ. GLM makes it really easy, and the settings got saved directly into my 8320s, which is nice for clearing up cables and equipment. But the little plastic mic that came with the GLM unit seemed flimsy compared to Umik-1. Note also it's not just the additional expense of the speakers, you also have to buy the GLM module in addition. That ran another $300...
That was my thinking too... I calculated about $700 extra between 8030c and 8330a + GLM module. Every other spec and chart is almost identical from Genelec's site. Claimed distortion numbers are the same. For the 30's I'll stick with the "basic" model.

YSC

Major Contributor
I actually had REW charts handy for the Adams... this clearly illustrates the one weakness of the design. No waveguide + ribbon tweeter = very, very small sweet spot.

What you see here is about a 5 degree difference in toe from the blue line to the red one. The T series has the same waveguide they use on the S2V so no doubt they are much better in this regard. I did more tweaks after this and got them to be a bit flatter, but it's still not great. At this point I'd actually recommend the T monitors over the As. The A design is just too old.
Thanks for the advise, as if I purchase either of those I will be using it off center in a very near field set up (small room desk enjoyment with limited space to toe in of speakers), I will hold my money and wait Amirm's T8V measurement of the frequency response before kicking in to buy a set of T5Vs (others are just too large) as it's really a huge bargain now in Hong Kong

test1223

Hello,

I started at posting here where wide vs. narrow directivity in conjunction with the room acoustic can be discussed, since it was a bit of topic here.

Best
Thomas

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love ASR...

Indeed. Reading your post, I could see an interesting system with :
The aforementioned Genelec 8030C covering everything from 200 Hz and above
Rythmik FM8 covering say, 40 to 200 Hz... and doubling as speaker stands.
2 Rythmik L12

This is a mind experiment , well above my current level of knowledge.
Still that could be a most serious speaker system for a cash outlay below $5000... DSP/crossover , I don't know

Integration would not be for the faint of heart but ... darn!!

That is similar to what I am doing with 2 FM8s covering 80 to 200Hz and acting as speaker stands for 708Ps (they are quite a nice fit on top, size wise), a REL sub for the bottom end. Thanks to the 8-channel miniDsp with Dirac, integration worked out OK for me by treating FM8+708P as mains. Its quite amazing how loud the system plays without bottoming out.

The 8030Cs are on their way to me and I hoping to use them as computer speakers. Lets see if they qualify as replacements for the 708Ps :)

Top Bottom