• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG2 Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 31.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 108 48.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 34 15.2%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I like the the form of this unit but as I only need to clear 16-bit audio, and I don't need USB, there must be means of making a cost-reduced version, perhaps with a cheaper DAC chip. Perhaps I should get into this business.
You can buy it for less without USB...
The DAC chip used isn't very expensive anyway... You would save like $10-15 maybe. Not worth it.

If you want a cheaper DAC overall then there are cheaper ones...

T&T

Objectively you can look that up. Subjectively I am not sure if anyone has both to say.
I just get the new geshelli akm4499 with stock opa1656...sweep the floor of the smsl su1 with power supply upgraded, if this was a boxing fight the smsl is knocked out in the first 10 seconds.
I just ordered 1 sparkos ss2590 custom dual mounted with raisers, from what I read on YouTube several members said is better than ss3602 and beating some r2r,
No pop noise skipping music using Spotify / Wiim Pro/ Chromecast.
Extremely happy with my first 20 minutes of listening.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just get the new geshelli akm4499 with stock opa1656...sweep the floor of the smsl su1 with power supply upgraded, if this was a boxing fight the smsl is knocked out in the first 10 seconds.
I just ordered 1 sparkos ss2590 custom dual mounted with raisers, from what I read on YouTube several members said is better than ss3602 and beating some r2r,
No pop noise skipping music using Spotify / Wiim Pro/ Chromecast.
Extremely happy with my first 20 minutes of listening.
First 20 minutes?? A bit early to be making boxing fight analogies...

Audio Flynn

Actually the fight last 10 seconds and every one on smsl corner were throwing towels to the ring. No contest.
I have been using the Topping D70 with 4493 chip as an early adopter. Since we have no idea on longevity or repairability, I decided I need a replacement. After years of various MSB and Channel Islands DACs I wanted to buy made in USA again.

I ordered the J2 socketed with AKM4499 and Burton V7 Classic op amps for my horn speaker and tube amp system.

Since I had a work project counterfeited by a Chinese company, I understand why Geshelli make their own USB by license by the Italian company, starts with an A. Some companies switch parts and suppliers without notice.

In 60 days I will order a linear power supply from Pine Tree Audio in the USA. Twice the price of a basic If but with Pine Tree and Geshelli you get to talk to real people who explain their warranty support. Topping if they offer phone support in the USA are not forthcoming on how to do so.

Both companies publish their phone numbers and picked up the phone on my first call during USA EST.

Op amp selection was a big benefit in ordering Geshelli.

Reactions: T&T

MacCali

Major Contributor
I have been using the Topping D70 with 4493 chip as an early adopter. Since we have no idea on longevity or repairability, I decided I need a replacement. After years of various MSB and Channel Islands DACs I wanted to buy made in USA again.

I ordered the J2 socketed with AKM4499 and Burton V7 Classic op amps for my horn speaker and tube amp system.

Since I had a work project counterfeited by a Chinese company, I understand why Geshelli make their own USB by license by the Italian company, starts with an A. Some companies switch parts and suppliers without notice.

In 60 days I will order a linear power supply from Pine Tree Audio in the USA. Twice the price of a basic If but with Pine Tree and Geshelli you get to talk to real people who explain their warranty support. Topping if they offer phone support in the USA are not forthcoming on how to do so.

Both companies publish their phone numbers and picked up the phone on my first call during USA EST.

You must have missed all the comments I made on this and my experience with Geshelli and their USB.

Long Story short when I had a problem and the product was brand new, 2-3 days after delivery I was told it’s an isolated incident that’s on me. I’m not going to repeat or answer any questions about the matter, go back and read my previous posts.

I wanted to buy American for the same reason you did, and prior to that I’ve never purchased any products from China. Actually, Geshelli was the first dac I paid for or my first dac.

I’ve had the D70s for nearly 4 years with not a single issue. My pre90 was purchased less than 6 months after. 0 problems and consistent use in my reference system. In fact it has never exited the chain for my reference system.

Jimster480

Major Contributor

How come burson op amps?

Ted B

I had my J2 AKM 4493 converted to the socketed J2S AKM 4499EX late last summer. I use a linear power supply with this DAC. Mine came fitted with Sparkos SS3602 op amps, but I was able to fit the huge SS2590s all three outputs (XLR & RCA) using one DIP8 socket adapter and one extender. The presentation and soundstage is fantastic for a DAC in this price range. Burson sent me a pair of V7 Vivids to review. These are also excellent, albeit a little different than the SS2590s, with perhaps a slightly less expansive soundstage than the more relaxed SS2590s with slightly enhanced higher frequency energy and layering. Of course, the Bursons are easily fitted. Which one would prefer is a matter of taste. I wrote two reviews (for the SS2590 and V7 Vivid) in the Head-Fi.org forums.

Attachments

• J2S-SS2590.jpg
    J2S-SS2590.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Burson V7 Vivid 3.jpg
    Burson V7 Vivid 3.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 13

MacCali

Major Contributor
I had my J2 AKM 4493 converted to the socketed J2S AKM 4499EX late last summer. I use a linear power supply with this DAC. Mine came fitted with Sparkos SS3602 op amps, but I was able to fit the huge SS2590s all three outputs (XLR & RCA) using one DIP8 socket adapter and one extender. The presentation and soundstage is fantastic for a DAC in this price range. Burson sent me a pair of V7 Vivids to review. These are also excellent, albeit a little different than the SS2590s, with perhaps a slightly less expansive soundstage than the more relaxed SS2590s with slightly enhanced higher frequency energy and layering. Of course, the Bursons are easily fitted. Which one would prefer is a matter of taste. I wrote two reviews (for the SS2590 and V7 Vivid) in the Head-Fi.org forums.
That looks pretty technical, did someone do that for you? Make it socketed. Kind of surprised that the old board is compatible with a completely new setup or dac from the manufacturer

Audio Flynn

How come burson op amps?
As much as I hate You Tube reviews there were a few very positive reviews about Burton V7. I chose the Classic since I use Klipsch Chorus II with older CD players from 15-25 years ago could be shrill.

I really liked my Channel Islands Audio DAC, it stopped working two months after they folded up their business. Was looking for something easy to experiment with different op amps easily.

Sherry from Geshelli was very patient with my questions. As an MSME my electronics experience is analog back to the 1970s. I ask allot of questions and she was good with explaining how their team perceived the different op amps offered.

I was going to get a Topping E70 Velvet but read about reliability issues and cheapening of the power supply.

Ted B

That looks pretty technical, did someone do that for you? Make it socketed. Kind of surprised that the old board is compatible with a completely new setup or dac from the manufacturer

I had Geshelli swap out the J2 board for the J2S socketed board - a service they offer for a fee. Also, because the newer AKM 4499EX is a dual chip DAC, it requires a different board anyway. as for fitting the huge Sparkos SS2590s into the sockets, that was up to me.

Ted B

As much as I hate You Tube reviews there were a few very positive reviews about Burton V7. I chose the Classic since I use Klipsch Chorus II with older CD players from 15-25 years ago could be shrill.

Where as the V7V is quite detailed and lively, the V7C is reported to be very warm with a vintage-like presentation.

Audio Flynn

It would be interesting to get a new review of the 4499 socketed version.

It has been two years.

I think this review is for the 4493 version but in rereading it is unclear.

Ted B

I think this review is for the 4493 version but in rereading it is unclear.

Amir's review from June, 2022 is definitely the J2 / AKM 4493 / Ti OPA1656/TI1612 version. The official release of the J2S with AKM 4499EX was not until Fall, 2023, and has since been expanded to include multiple op amp options.

Top Bottom