• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping RD3 TP Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 39.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 120 52.6%

• Total voters

Nutul

I just received the RD3 today. I got everything plugged in and it has a loud pop at turn on

If you switch your amp (or your powered speakers) on AFTER the DAC, which is always good practice, you don't get this issue.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a reck unit - you often switch these with a main power switch for the complete rack. Your amp stays on a while, there really should not be a pop with these units.

Adaboy4z

If you switch your amp (or your powered speakers) on AFTER the DAC, which is always good practice, you don't get this issue.
My other two Dacs don't have that issue, Topping E30ii and SMSL SU1

rocksteady

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping "TP" RD3 balanced stereo USB rackmount DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $229.
View attachment 306076
The unit sports a gorgeous, white segmented display with highly responsive control. It is a joy to use. A remote control is provided as well. Back panel shows what we expect including the now standard trigger support on Topping products:
View attachment 306078
Power supply is built-in which is very nice as well.

I prefer this form factor to desktop products as it looks more "serious."

Topping RD3 TP Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
View attachment 306079
This is excellent performance and just a step below state of the art.
View attachment 306080

View attachment 306081

RCA output gives up just a bit of performance:
View attachment 306082
But still fully transparent as evidenced by superb dynamic range:

View attachment 306084

Linearity is excellent:
View attachment 306085

As is Jitter over USB:
View attachment 306086

There is however good bit of jitter over Coax/Toslink:
View attachment 306087

Fortunately their levels don't reach audibility.

IMD is excellent and just limited by noise:
View attachment 306088

If we eliminate that and just look at distortion floor, we can see superb performance:
View attachment 306089

We have our usual set of filters:
View attachment 306090
View attachment 306091

Even though attenuation is good we still get a bit of degradation in wideband THD+N vs frequency:
View attachment 306092

Conclusions
The performance of RD3 can be summed up as one step below perfection. In exchange for that, you get a very high value DAC with gorgeous display and in my opinion, highly usable rackmount form factor. As I noted in the review, I rather put an RD3 in my main system than a desktop DAC.

I am going to recommend the Topping "TP" RD3 balanced DAC.

Specifications​

• Dimensions (W x H x D)
    48.3X15.5X5.2cm
    Bluetooth
    Yes
  • D/A Converter
    AK4493S
    Model Number
    RD3
  • Material
    Metal
    DSD Sampling Frequencies
    2.8224 MHz (DSD64),5.6448 MHz (DSD128),11.2896 MHz (DSD256),22.5792 MHz (DSD512)
  • PCM Word Length
    16-bit,24-bit,32-bit
    PCM Sampling Frequencies
    44.1 kHz,48 kHz,88.2 kHz,96 kHz,176.4 kHz,352.8 kHz,384 kHz,705.6 kHz,768 kHz
  • Outputs
    RCA,XLR
    Inputs
    USB Type-B,Optical (SPDIF),Coaxial
  • Type
    Desktop
    Brand Name
    TOPPING
  • Origin
    Mainland China

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
A missed opportunity. All that back panel space and such a miserly Input count. An AES-EBU, Double Coaxial and Optical inputs would make it a highly desirable device, even if it cost an additional $/€100 or so...

Last edited:

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It already has 4 inputs - that's prety good for an DAC? And AES and SPDIF are in most cases compatible, you just need the right cable. (AES outputs are normally transformer decoupled with small digital transormers - so symmetric/unsymmetric is no issue).

daniboun

Major Contributor
The main question for me is: does it sound better than my Topping E50?

in theory you won't hear any difference between the two....
The choice is based solely on the interface, design and available options.

1701069407854.png

1701069444840.png

MLaranjeiras

in theory you won't hear any difference between the two....
The choice is based solely on the interface, design and available options.

View attachment 329717
View attachment 329718
Sure! I sent it to some friends make a comparison with other DACs.

The players:

Topping E50
SMSL M400
Denafrips Pontus

The conclusions

TOPPING E50
- Sound signature: well balanced and neutral
- Sound stage: significantly less pronounced
- Presence of bass / mid / treble: balanced presence, without highlighting any part of the spectrum, very pleasant to listen to
- Bass / mid / treble detail: significantly less detailed, but without offering any discomfort
Conclusion: a less sophisticated, but balanced device - anyone who doesn't have a comparison will love having one.

SMSL M400
- Sound signature: neutral, without reinforcing any part of the spectrum
- Soundstage: very open and pronounced
- Presence of bass / mid / treble: balanced and striking presence in bass and treble
- Bass/mid/treble detail: slightly less detailed than Pontus
Conclusion: excellent equipment in terms of cost-benefit ratio.

DENAFRIPS PONTUS
- Sound signature: neutral, but pulling a little towards the midrange.
- Soundstage: A little less open than the M400 (very little, almost imperceptible)
- Presence of bass / mids / highs: a marked presence of mid-highs; voices in particular. And trebles are also significantly pronounced.
- Bass / mid / treble detailing: very well detailed.

Conclusion: DENAFRIPS PONTUS is the best of the three evaluated in terms of sound, followed very closely by the M400. The E50 appears to be a different standard of equipment, but still excellent.

Considering that the Toppinp E50 price is 1/5 of the other two, it seems to be a very very honest product.

rocksteady

Forum Donor
It already has 4 inputs - that's pretTy good for an DAC? And AES and SPDIF are in most cases compatible, you just need the right cable. (AES outputs are normally transformer decoupled with small digital transFormers - so symmetric/unsymmetric is no issue).
In this age of multiple digital sources and devices? Not even close. Even 20 years ago it would be barely enough. Besides, just how many people use i²S? In practice, only 3 usable inputs...

daniboun

Major Contributor

The players:

Topping E50
SMSL M400
Denafrips Pontus

The conclusions

TOPPING E50
- Presence of bass / mid / treble: balanced presence, without highlighting any part of the spectrum, very pleasant to listen to
- Bass / mid / treble detail: significantly less detailed, but without offering any discomfort
Conclusion: a less sophisticated, but balanced device - anyone who doesn't have a comparison will love having one.

SMSL M400
- Presence of bass / mid / treble: balanced and striking presence in bass and treble

DENAFRIPS PONTUS
- Soundstage: A little less open than the M400 (very little, almost imperceptible)
- Presence of bass / mids / highs: a marked presence of mid-highs; voices in particular. And trebles are also significantly pronounced.

Conclusion: DENAFRIPS PONTUS is the best of the three evaluated in terms of sound, followed very closely by the M400. The E50 appears to be a different standard of equipment, but still excellent.

Considering that the Toppinp E50 price is 1/5 of the other two, it seems to be a very very honest product.

Hi,
Without wanting to offend you or discredit you, this test leaves more room for subjectivity than anything else.
On ASR we demonstrate through measurements and this is where the "neutrality" of an audio equipment makes sense.

All the dacs you mention have been tested and measured. To be able to compare them, you must be able to measure and erase all subjectivity.

The Denafrips Pontus 2 is an R2R DAC > $1850
Topping E50 > $269
SMSL M400 > $800

Whether it is the SMSL M400 or the Topping E50, both measure better by far than the Denafrips)

Conclusion: trust the measurements and don't spend your money haphazardly :)

Here goes :

Topping E50 full measurements :

SMSL M400 full measurements :

Denfrips Pontus 2 full measurements ( APx555 B)

At a glance to understand:

Topping E50 :

1701156020207.png

1701156240094.png

DENAFRIPS Pontus 2 :

1701156038259.png

1701156192882.png

SMSL M400 :

1701156094399.png

1701156269768.png

Attachments

• 1701156429009.png
    1701156429009.png
    312 bytes · Views: 29

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

The players:

Topping E50
SMSL M400
Denafrips Pontus

The conclusions

TOPPING E50

SMSL M400

DENAFRIPS PONTUS

Your listening test unfortunately is invalid. For it to deliver usable results it would have to be conducted as a level matched controlled test (double blind or also called ABX Test). The purpose is to remove chance (guessing), ensure statistical validity and remove bias (expectation bias of humans) from negatively affecting the test results. Also the level would have to be matched precisely (good voltmeter), as louder is always perceived as better (Fletcher-Munson). As such tests are not easy to do and elaborate many can’t do it.

Therefore in this instance it is already perfectly fine as the previous post has pointed out to simply look at the measurements which show that every deviation from „perfect“ is by orders of magnitude below what humans are able to hear.

MLaranjeiras

Hi,
Without wanting to offend you or discredit you, this test leaves more room for subjectivity than anything else.
On ASR we demonstrate through measurements and this is where the "neutrality" of an audio equipment makes sense.

All the dacs you mention have been tested and measured. To be able to compare them, you must be able to measure and erase all subjectivity.

Topping E50 > $269
SMSL M400 > $800

Whether it is the SMSL M400 or the Topping E50, both measure better by far than the Denafrips)

Here goes :

Topping E50 :

View attachment 329984
View attachment 329988

DENAFRIPS Pontus 2 :

View attachment 329985
View attachment 329987

SMSL M400 :

View attachment 329986
View attachment 329989
Hi,

Topping E50 > $269
SMSL M400 > $800

Here goes :

Topping E50 :

View attachment 329984
View attachment 329988

DENAFRIPS Pontus 2 :

View attachment 329985
View attachment 329987

SMSL M400 :

View attachment 329986
View attachment 329989
No offense at all. That was what they perceived. Just sharing. Measures vs listening is an infinite discussion. Just sharing. ASR is measurements in most cases. A technical evidence. But people listen too.

MLaranjeiras

Your listening test unfortunately is invalid. For it to deliver usable results it would have to be conducted as a level matched controlled test (double blind or also called ABX Test). The purpose is to remove chance (guessing), ensure statistical validity and remove bias (expectation bias of humans) from negatively affecting the test results. Also the level would have to be matched precisely (good voltmeter), as louder is always perceived as better (Fletcher-Munson). As such tests are not easy to do and elaborate many can’t do it.

Therefore in this instance it is already perfectly fine as the previous post has pointed out to simply look at the measurements which show that every deviation from „perfect“ is by orders of magnitude below what humans are able to hear.
They made what they could. I like blind tests, but it was not at this time

MLaranjeiras

The good measurements of the Topping E50 made me to move for it. But many issues on measurements are beyond the human listening area, as ASR always remember. So, we can not only go for measurements. But I choose the cheapest with good ones.

daniboun

Major Contributor
No offense at all. That was what they perceived. Just sharing. Measures vs listening is an infinite discussion. Just sharing. ASR is measurements in most cases. A technical evidence. But people listen too.

This is indeed an eternal discussion) The whole point of ASR testing lies precisely in the science and practical data. We all know that our ears have limits and what we perceive is often biased by feeling. It often amuses me to read in Stereophile reviews or other Soundnews tests that are completely dithyrambic and meaningless because they are often empty of measurements....

I like to recall this beautiful example:

and the dythiambic review of Soundnews...

no way......

MLaranjeiras

This is indeed an eternal discussion) The whole point of ASR testing lies precisely in the science and practical data. We all know that our ears have limits and what we perceive is often biased by feeling. It often amuses me to read in Stereophile reviews or other Soundnews tests that are completely dithyrambic and meaningless because they are often empty of measurements....

I like to recall this beautiful example:

and the dythiambic review of Soundnews...

no way......
A Chord Mojo 2 at 430 euros d’be my maximum investiment. Or an IFI Gryphon at the same price range

daniboun

Major Contributor
A Chord Mojo 2 at 430 euros d’be my maximum investiment. Or an IFI Gryphon at the same price range

Check Amir's tests and take any DAC with a 120DB Sinad under ASR test conditions for less than $200
You are spoiled for choice among all the dacs tested recently) :)

MLaranjeiras

Check Amir's tests and take any DAC with a 120DB Sinad under ASR test conditions for less than $200
You are spoiled for choice among all the dacs tested recently) :)
Sometimes you go to a restaurant because a friend insisted. At least, if I do not find any good new on the Mojo 2 I can sell it easily

daniboun

Major Contributor
Sometimes you go to a restaurant because a friend insisted. At least, if I do not find any good new on the Mojo 2 I can sell it easily

Checkout the full review :

Top Bottom