• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The official specs I linked to are for MkII though. With Ortofon's claim of +-1 and what I guess is a relatively low tip mass, it is disappointing to see that rise begin at 5kHz already, and reach +2dB way below 10kHz.

Yes but as I mentioned we have to presume they are making the claim based on this measurement, taken on a B&K test record, which we know now is a bit off and downplays any rise below 10kHz. Not to mention offers terrible resolution. Is it plus minus one? (I don't have an answer.) If it is, I can see this translate to what mackat measured. I mean, his CBS measurement IS plus minus one if you don't use 0 as the middle point.

Certainly age can come into play, but more often than not I am shocked by how well cartridges hold up. Those that don't are generally a known quantity nowadays (e.g. late Technics, Shure VN5HE stylus). Storage and abuse is a big factor too and those are the hardest things to gauge when buying second hand, but we can't hold that against the manufacturer. What worries me most now is the diamond cut quality and positioning, which is why I felt forced to get a decent microscope. I think I've had more trouble with those things looking back at my posts.

Ortofon MC 20 MK II Official Measurements.jpg

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
I hope to see a Hana Cartridge here . Anyone got one coming?
They get promoted a lot , but I think their basic aluminium and nude stylus are expensive compared to that I can get a AT with Boron and Microline for the same cost, and the Hana Boron/top stylus at very much more expensive than alternatives. So I wonder how good are Hana really?

This is the only Hana cartridge I have seen measured. Hana Umami Red from Stereo Test.
001905-0.jpg

I have no idea what MAR is doing with it here.
121hana.lab1.jpg

Are there any in particular that you want to see? I can add them to the want list.

As far as Nagaoka goes, despite MAR graphs being vague about loading information, I think I've seen enough MP500 measurements to say that the result below seems more or less correct, so I imagine the MP150 is also on the right track. (Those Clearaudio examples seem to be best case scenario with loading options most don't have.) But yeah, I'm at the point where I can't invest any more on elliptical cartridges.

nagaoka_clearaudio.jpg

It would be extremely helpful for others to have them measured here, however. So they would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other popular cartridges missing from the want list? I made the list by searching "best phono cartridge" to see the popular recommendations. I do think we have a good amount on here, and likely have the highest quality options below $400 already posted. I'd say only about 4-5 of them have no measurements available anywhere, which is pretty good all things considered!

Popular and press recommended cartridges
  • Dynavector Karat 17DX
  • Goldring E3 (likely overpriced generic Audio-Technica cartridge)
  • Hana EH/ML
  • Nagaoka MP-150
  • Nagaoka MP-500
  • Ortofon 2M Black
  • Ortofon 2M Bronze
  • Sumiko Rainier
  • Sumiko Songbird

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I once almost pulled the trigger for the MP500 but now its too pricey. The interesting part is that it does not seem to have a prominent mechanical resonance 10-20 kHz despite its boron cantilever, and should be easily configured with a bit of higher R to get a perfect linear response. The MP150 has a resonance around 14-15 kHz though.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
I once almost pulled the trigger for the MP500 but now its too pricey. The interesting part is that it does not seem to have a prominent mechanical resonance 10-20 kHz despite its boron cantilever, and should be easily configured with a bit of higher R to get a perfect linear response. The MP150 has a resonance around 14-15 kHz though.

I made this with the recording @watchnerd uploaded when the script was first being developed. Back then we were only processing the left channel and in mono. Too bad I can't find the file. Interestingly, STR-100 is exaggerating the slope a little bit. It may really be down 1-1.5dB at 10kHz. Given the popularity of many slightly downward sloping cartridges, I can see why it has fans.
Nagaoka MP-500.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made this with the recording @watchnerd uploaded when the script was first being developed. Back then we were only processing the left channel and in mono. Too bad I can't find the file. Interestingly, STR-100 is exaggerating the slope a little bit. It may really be down 1-1.5dB at 10kHz. Given the popularity of many slightly downward sloping cartridges, I can see why it has fans.
View attachment 326113
I wonder about that distortion though, but it's a mono file right? I think the slope is easily adjusted by increasing R.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
I wonder about that distortion though, but it's a mono file right? I think the slope is easily adjusted by increasing R.

Yeah, mono file so no crosstalk. As it is only the left channel it is hard to get a sense if there are any set-up issues, though I trust watchnerd. (But as we have seen if not properly set up one channel can show better results than the other.) At the time we were surprised by the very low distortion. From the few measurements floating around, it seems to be a very intentionally tuned and extremely well made cartridge. I'd have to see it here first before I'd consider it a classic tho.

If all the other MP-500 measurements weren't so consistent I'd believe those more.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
IMG_1306.jpeg

Are there any in particular that you want to see? I can add them to the want list.
Hana SL…
By the way the Hifi News FR of Nagaoka 500 show that it cannot reach 10kHz , steep drop before that. But I am not sure if ANY HifiNews frequency plots can be trusted…see plot above pictures placement is out of my control

JP

Major Contributor
I *think* I saw at least one plot last night of the MP-500 that showed an HF peak. Unable to find it now. HFN and MAR plots elicit too many "huh?" moments for me.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yes but as I mentioned we have to presume they are making the claim based on this measurement, taken on a B&K test record, which we know now is a bit off and downplays any rise below 10kHz. Not to mention offers terrible resolution. Is it plus minus one? (I don't have an answer.) If it is, I can see this translate to what mackat measured. I mean, his CBS measurement IS plus minus one if you don't use 0 as the middle point.

Certainly age can come into play, but more often than not I am shocked by how well cartridges hold up. Those that don't are generally a known quantity nowadays (e.g. late Technics, Shure VN5HE stylus). Storage and abuse is a big factor too and those are the hardest things to gauge when buying second hand, but we can't hold that against the manufacturer. What worries me most now is the diamond cut quality and positioning, which is why I felt forced to get a decent microscope. I think I've had more trouble with those things looking back at my posts.

View attachment 326098
ADC had some problem batches of needles which earned them a reputation for "collapsing" - but they changed the suspension formulation a number of times - so although the reputation stuck, it was only really earned on a couple of batches of styli...

How they have stood up to time, is a different question, and may also differ depending on suspension formulation - so a very difficult question to answer for a company that varied the suspension!

JP

Major Contributor
More importantly, how they were stored.

JP

Major Contributor
Anyone know the story on Ortofon OM 40 vs. Super OM 40 vs. Stylus 40? They list the latter two as FG but the former as VDH. My understanding is that Stylus 40 is supposed to be universal and the only stylus used across all OM 40 variations.

Anyone know the story on Ortofon OM 40 vs. Super OM 40 vs. Stylus 40? They list the latter two as FG but the former as VDH. My understanding is that Stylus 40 is supposed to be universal and the only stylus used across all OM 40 variations.

From what I understand, they changed from VdH to FG at some point. Maybe all the specs just weren't updated.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I understand, they changed from VdH to FG at some point. Maybe all the specs just weren't updated.
Yes that changed as well as compliance. The initial ones had a compliance of around 35 if I remember correctly. Lowered to around 25 when vdH was replaced by FG.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re MP500 I wonder how they source the stylus. It is boron with a line contact-type but not microridge. Most boron rod stylii of modern cartridges have resonance between 10-20 kHz. Not so with the MP500. Do Nagaoka use their own factory for stylus assembly?

Perhaps I will pull the trigger one day but as long as JICO SAS/B works for my Shure, I am hesitant. The only thing needed is to add silicon oil to the brush hinges to get back that damping function. Other than that am happy with the sound it gives. Best I have tried, ever.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which Shure, which silicone oil?
V15Vx. The JICO replacement stylii comes with brush but it is not having the damping feature of the original stylus. I remove the caps and add a little silicon oil and put the caps back. The brush then gets the slow damping movement.

Regarding oil I don’t know this one but it is the same used for the lift device of the tonearm. Originally there was a thread regarding this mod on VE.

djwkyoto

I was considering maybe picking some Nagaoka MP as the YEN is rather weak, but am on the fence about that. I'd like to see some measurements of the Hana, but I don't have any interest in owning any of them. Pretty much the same for the Nagaoka.

@Thomas_A, MP300/500, 150/200, and 100/100 bodies are the same? I've seen many people say that, but no actual evidence of it.
RE: Nagaoka MP 500

I just ordered a Clearaudio CA-TRS-1007 and when it arrives I will make a recording from my MP-500. Hopefully that'll happen next week.
I then just need somebody to help me with the script, but I'll get back to you guys when I made the first step.

Great thread, and it's just starting off hopefully.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Ortofon MC 20 Super SE
And the strange little dip

Click to increase size
Ortofon MC 20 SE - Denon DP-80 - CBS - 2.png
Ortofon MC 20 SE - Denon DP-80 - CBS - 3.png

Ortofon MC 20 SE - Denon DP-80 - CBSᶜ - 2.png
Ortofon MC 20 SE - Denon DP-80 - CBSᶜ - 3.png

Ortofon-MC20-Super-SE.png
Ortofon MC 20 SE - Denon DP-80 - CBS - Question.png
Denon DL-103R - Denon DP-30L II - CBS² - Question.jpg
SAE 1000E · TRS-1007 · JP - Question.jpg

The first close up is from the Super SE, the second from my Denon DL-103R, and third from an upcoming cartridge. Each was measured by a different person. The first two used CBS STR-100, the last JVC TRS-1007.

Notes
  • These are from @mackat
  • The second set has FR corrected to my CA TRS-1007
  • This is a Thakker exclusive, limited edition of 200
  • Nude fine-line stylus with aluminum cantilever
  • My question to you all is, what is that dip right above 10kHz?
    • Both Denon DL-103R cartridges measured here show this phenomenon
      • Could it be related to the cartridge body? Cantilever? Tonearm mismatch?
    • Is an indicator of low quality construction, an inherent weakness of the design, wear/aging, or user error?
  • This cartridge was exchanged because of some sort of suspension-related issue
    • "Strange 'crackling' noise when the stylus sets down or lifts up from the record"
      • The second has this issue to a lesser degree --maybe avoid this cartridge
  • The right channel 2H distortion spike at around 6.5kHz is interesting
  • The second copy will be posted when it is re-measured

Last edited:
Top Bottom