• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
its more then just boomy, male voices sound muffled like talking through a sock. Even female voices sound a bit manly. treble sounds great, detail is there. they are dynamic. Techno sounds great but everything else sounds awful. Its like my mids/bass is overpowering and very muffled. girls voices lack clarity and detail. basically everything sounds like its playing through a pillow. Could it be my Emotiva a-300 amp?
Do you have the bi-wire bridge set so it is driving the full speaker? An easy mistake to make, and everything would sound boomy if so.

Mythy

measure and EQ, you need to do this at least for frequencies under 300hz in almost every room anyways.
I see lots of talk about dsps and eqs but I have no idea how to apply a eq to my entire PCs audio output let alone how to graph it and use that data.

All speakers are being driven so the binding posts are correct. I have rotated the speakers more inward towards me to see if it helps. Id does slightly reduce the (reverb?) im hearing, if thats even what it is.

dshreter

I see lots of talk about dsps and eqs but I have no idea how to apply a eq to my entire PCs audio output let alone how to graph it and use that data.

All speakers are being driven so the binding posts are correct. I have rotated the speakers more inward towards me to see if it helps. Id does slightly reduce the (reverb?) im hearing, if thats even what it is.
Equalizer APO is probably the best free bet to equalize system-wide audio. Combined with Room EQ Wizard to measure what you’re hearing and determine what equalization might be needed.

Edit: what doodski said

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
i have to use the APO EQ/ PEACE EQ because i got a peak at about 88hz, the software its very nice but you need to measure your room ( something like umik-1 mini dsp ), check the positions of the speakers/stand, etc

Mythy

Ok I'll admit this is kinda cool :) Still no idea what i'm doing but here is the default settings measurements. I used a Blue Yetti microphone in stereo mode since its all I have. I know its not calibrated or anything but its a good mic for a test until I get the one linked above. I ordered it already lol Can anyone make anything out of this graph?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Ok I'll admit this is kinda cool :) Still no idea what i'm doing but here is the default settings measurements. I used a Blue Yetti microphone in stereo mode since its all I have. I know its not calibrated or anything but its a good mic for a test until I get the one linked above. I ordered it already lol Can anyone make anything out of this graph?

Do you have too much toe-in?
you need room correction :) as everyone

Mythy

This is my setup, I did rotate the speakers more towards my seating center. It helped remove some of the reverb I believe I am hearing.
20211104_002429.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my setup, I did rotate the speakers more towards my seating center. It helped remove some of the reverb I believe I am hearing.
View attachment 163122
Nice setup I like a desk with huge real estate. Mic that system, calibrate and test again. It will make a huge difference. :D

dshreter

There’s something not working right in your system. I don’t know if gain is too high and your signal is clipping maybe? You have a competent amp and some of the best compact passive speakers made period. If you’re hearing substantial distortion of any kind something isn’t working properly.

mike70

You can't buy that level of speakers to positioning against the wall. Speakers needs air to breathe ... they work together with the room.

Mythy

Ok so first let me say THANK YOU!!! Totally different sound now. I mean wow! Voices are now sounding normal. Green is pre EQ and Blue is with the EQ applied. Not sure why it still has so many dips or why it didn't sort out the lower end response but it did sort out my 200hrz nightmare. I'm including the settings I used to generate the EQ file I am using. Maybe you can spot a mistake I have made?
Screenshot 2021-11-04 021528.png
EQed.jpg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok so first let me say THANK YOU!!! Totally different sound now. I mean wow! Voices are now sounding normal. Green is pre EQ and Blue is with the EQ applied. Not sure why it still has so many dips or why it didn't sort out the lower end response but it did sort out my 200hrz nightmare. I'm including the settings I used to generate the EQ file I am using. Maybe you can spot a mistake I have made?

Good work! Boosting dips is often not a great idea when they're caused by room modes. The biggest audible improvement is from knocking down big peaks in bass as you've seen.

I would suggest limiting correction to around 500hz in the Filter Tasks, or playing around with the room curve options to introduce a little more bass, that curve looks like it might be bright, even for nearfield. But if you're happy with it that's cool, overall balance is mostly a matter of taste.

jgiannakas

Ok so first let me say THANK YOU!!! Totally different sound now. I mean wow! Voices are now sounding normal. Green is pre EQ and Blue is with the EQ applied. Not sure why it still has so many dips or why it didn't sort out the lower end response but it did sort out my 200hrz nightmare. I'm including the settings I used to generate the EQ file I am using. Maybe you can spot a mistake I have made? View attachment 163142View attachment 163141
If you want more base unplug the rear ports and try again. As said below also try not to boost dips but rather cut peaks. You have an ugly one at 200-300hz that is causing you the unnatural voice characteristics. Limit to 400-500hz - no need to go any higher.

Also if you want to get even better measure using the moving microphone method - search for it on YouTube and you’ll find videos of how it’s done. It averages multiple positions so gives you a better idea of what your ears are actually hearing as you are not linked precisely to one spot.

tecnogadget

Hey guys I have just got these speakers and am using them in a nearfield desktop setup. I was using a pair of LSiM703 polks. These are much more detailed and create a amazing field of sound. I don't hear the speakers position and everything is very holographic. However... Mid base like male voices sound like there echoing, lots of resonance also boomy. Base sounds muffled and lacking control. I am debating returning them, not sure what to do. I have the ports sealed and that doesn't change much. There's just too much base in the voices and its lacking clarity. even female voices sound a bit manly. I am powering them with a Emotiva a-300 amp.
No, they have 0 wall clearance. They are angled to my ears and the ports are sealed.

Room modes affects any speaker equally. This speaker should not have those issues when properly set. 0 clearance to the wall is one of the worst case scenarios for “bass boom”, one bass note, bass ringing, room modes. Consider changing positioning and mind SBIR effect.

TurtlePaul

The R3 is currently on sale for $1,700 in the U.S. Rather than being Black Friday week only, the sale runs through January 8 "while supplies last" which I interpret to mean a new R-Meta Series is incoming. Given current supply chain issues, there is no way that these are going on sale unless they have an all new model for 2022 and need to clear out inventory in the dealer network.

jgiannakas

The R3 is currently on sale for $1,700 in the U.S. Rather than being Black Friday week only, the sale runs through January 8 "while supplies last" which I interpret to mean a new R-Meta Series is incoming. Given current supply chain issues, there is no way that these are going on sale unless they have an all new model for 2022 and need to clear out inventory in the dealer network.
No sale in the UK. Only 20% off if you part exchange (any?) speaker. In the past when the R300s were end of life there were some pretty decent (50% off) sales on them.

tecnogadget

You are making too many assumptions based on so little info :facepalm:. Last gen was released on 2014, current gen late 2018…2022 is only 3 years life span…study how regularly KEF renews its higher end series and realize this is not going to happen. R series went for sale every year on Black Friday, Christmas and Sales season…nothing new really.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't buy that level of speakers to positioning against the wall. Speakers needs air to breathe ... they work together with the room.
Not all, but most, do.
Those using bcb need to be near the back wall.

Top Bottom