• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a home cinema preamp with a digital output

007cinema

Dear community, I am looking for a home cinema preamp that outputs the channels digitally. AES/EBU would be desirable. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough.Of course I know Trinnov, Storm Audio and Datasat. To be honest, these are too expensive for me. If there isn't something like that, and that's my feeling at the moment, then I'll look for a preamp that I can convert so that the channels can be tapped digitally. After some research, this means that the preamp must have a digital volume control and not an analogue one. If anyone here knows any advice, I would be grateful. 007cinema sends greetings from Germany

Last edited:

AudiOhm

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can wholeheartedly NOT recommend the emotiva xmc2 .... but it does have digital outputs

OP
007cinema

007cinema

Sorry, I must have expressed myself wrongly. I have specified the problem again and described it in my post. Many thanks for the help!

Golfx

Forum Donor
Dear community, I am looking for a home cinema preamp that outputs the channels digitally. AES7EBU would be desirable. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough.Of course I know Trinnov, Storm Audio and Datasat. To be honest, these are too expensive for me. If there isn't something like that, and that's my feeling at the moment, then I'll look for a preamp that I can convert so that the channels can be tapped digitally. After some research, this means that the preamp must have a digital volume control and not an analogue one. If anyone here knows any advice, I would be grateful. 007cinema sends greetings from Germany
You should ask your question exactly as above on this forum. They are probably the most knowledgeable https://www.avsforum.com/threads/trinnov-altitude.1516103/page-1151#post-62349562

OP
007cinema

007cinema

Oh I did not know that. I'm also new here in the forum. Thanks for the hint!!

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Licensing restrictions make it extremely difficult to find a device that will decode Dolby Atmos and output lossless multi-channel PCM (i.e. The Pirate's Wet Dream). You could look into Dolby Reference Player on PC. I'm not sure it will get you full Dolby TrueHD decoding, but should still get you part of the way:

Not sure what your use-case is, but honestly, if you can't afford a Trinnov, you should just settle for an AVR/AVP that can easily decode all of these formats without trying to build a Frankenstein's monster.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear community, I am looking for a home cinema preamp that outputs the channels digitally. AES7EBU would be desirable. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough. The digital output should affect all channels, including Dolby Atmos. A simple digital output is not enough.Of course I know Trinnov, Storm Audio and Datasat. To be honest, these are too expensive for me. If there isn't something like that, and that's my feeling at the moment, then I'll look for a preamp that I can convert so that the channels can be tapped digitally. After some research, this means that the preamp must have a digital volume control and not an analogue one. If anyone here knows any advice, I would be grateful. 007cinema sends greetings from Germany
As far as I know Dolby Reference Player running on a PC that has a Dante, MADI, AES67 card is the only option you have. However, that is only for file inputs not streaming.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only need 7.1 and no Atmos, you can have a look at:

You’ll need external decoding though, something like an AppleTV will do that.

Otherwise… wake me up when you find something below €$£ 2500 with Atmos and room EQ…

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Otherwise… wake me up when you find something below €$£ 2500 with Atmos and room EQ…
Dolby player (9.1.6) £500
Desktop PC £1000
Dante card (32ch) £500
Total: £2000

OP
007cinema

007cinema

Licensing restrictions make it extremely difficult to find a device that will decode Dolby Atmos and output lossless multi-channel PCM (i.e. The Pirate's Wet Dream). You could look into Dolby Reference Player on PC. I'm not sure it will get you full Dolby TrueHD decoding, but should still get you part of the way:

Not sure what your use-case is, but honestly, if you can't afford a Trinnov, you should just settle for an AVR/AVP that can easily decode all of these formats without trying to build a Frankenstein's monster.
Thanks for the tip. Basically, I'm in the mood for a new project and it's not because I can't afford a Trinnov.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only need 7.1 and no Atmos, you can have a look at:

You’ll need external decoding though, something like an AppleTV will do that.

it's honestly ridicolous how expensive that thing is. makes me want to buy a 50$ extractor off e-bay and mod it with digital outputs just for the hell of it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it's honestly ridicolous how expensive that thing is. makes me want to buy a 50$ extractor off e-bay and mod it with digital outputs just for the hell of it.
Yeah, it is a lot of money for limited functionality. Looks like it pays to basically have a monopoly…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
007cinema

007cinema

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How is this thing different from all the other extractors? It does digital spdif/toslink, and 5.1 analog. Nothing special at all.
multiple HDMI inputs, ARC, bluetooth, analog input, USB Input. not to mention what seems to be a full stereo SPDIF passthrough.

Beside not many extractors can do Dolby digital decoding anymore.

I'm not saying this is the solution to OP's problems but it's a little ridicolous that no one is offering something reasonably priced with half of these features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom