• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

nick-v

Thanks very much for this link. Could you please comment on this measured performance relative to the M33? The features of this integrated are very appealing to me and my impression is that the measurements, while not SOTA, would result in a very neutral performance with no audible distortion. And thank you for your many contributions to this forum. Happy holidays
The amp section SINAD at 5 Watts/4 Ohms looks very comparable to the M33:

thd_n_ratio_unweighted_vs_outputpower_at_4_8_ohms.png

@amirm measured the M33's THD+N at 5 watts into 4 Ohms at 0.0020% or SINAD 94dB.

The THD+N graph for the C399 shows the THD+N at 5 watts into 4 Ohms to be around 0.0019% or SINAD 94.4dB.

The M33 output approx. 455 watts at 1% THD into 4 Ohms, whereas the C399 is power supply limited at 239 Watts at 1% THD into 4 Ohms which is a significant difference.

There doesn't appear to be an exact comparison to make with Amir's DAC section SINAD measurement at 2V RMS at 1kHz. No mention of whether the amps were on or off (can they be turned off in the C399?) as that made a huge difference in the DAC section measurements in the M33.

Last edited:

Xaero

I've just bought a C399+BluOS module. I'm very happy with sound but I cannot in any way link my Samgung TV via HDMI eARC. The TV is a UE43AU7105XXC model, not the best but it is a recent model.

I've tried to link a Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-ray player without success. Nothing sounds.

The store where I bought says that not all TV works, sometimes yes sometimes not.

Somebody have succeeded in get audio from this sources? Could my NAD be defective?

Your TV needs to support eARC. If it does, the port or ports that supports it usually is clearly labeled (eARC)

Xaero

The amp section looks very comparable to the M33:

thd_n_ratio_unweighted_vs_outputpower_at_4_8_ohms.png

@amirm measured the M33's THD+N at 5 watts into 4 Ohms at 0.0020% or SINAD 94dB.

The THD+N graph for the C399 shows the THD+N at 5 watts into 4 Ohms to be around 0.0019% or SINAD 94.4dB.

The M33 output approx. 455 watts at 1% THD into 4 Ohms, whereas the C399 is power supply limited at 239 Watts at 1% THD into 4 Ohms.

There is no exact comparison to make with Amir's DAC section SINAD measurement at 2V RMS. No mention of whether the amps were on or off (can they be turned off in the C399?) as that made a huge difference in the DAC section measurements in the M33.

When I auditioned the M33 vs the C399, I could literally not tell any audible difference between the two. I'll be very impressed if someone can tell them apart while blind folded. I think it's impossible.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I auditioned the M33 vs the C399, I could literally not tell any audible difference between the two. I'll be very impressed if someone can tell them apart while blind folded. I think it's impossible.
Agreed

lateralous

I've just bought a C399+BluOS module. I'm very happy with sound but I cannot in any way link my Samgung TV via HDMI eARC. The TV is a UE43AU7105XXC model, not the best but it is a recent model.

I've tried to link a Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-ray player without success. Nothing sounds.

The store where I bought says that not all TV works, sometimes yes sometimes not.

Somebody have succeeded in get audio from this sources? Could my NAD be defective?
Can you explain what you mean by not having success linking the Bluray player? How is it connected? Thus far I've had no issue using eARC with my tv; as others have mentioned try a different cable if available or prove yours works through some other input.

fpaiy

Streaming integrated amplifier with ESS ES9028Q2M and Hypex nCore NC252MP. NC400OEM

NAD C 399 Front with BluOS display

Flagship Classic Series integrated amplifier featuring Masters Series grade HybridDigital nCore amplification, ESS Sabre DAC and MDC2 Modular Design Construction Architecture​

PICKERING, ONTARIO, CANADA, SEPTEMBER 21, 2021 — NAD Electronics, the highly regarded manufacturer of high-performance audio/video components, takes value and performance to a whole new level. The C 399 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier is the clearest expression yet of NAD’s commitment to sonic excellence and lasting value. Employing NAD’s HybridDigital nCore™ amplification, which until now has been available only on Masters Series amplifiers, the C 399 is the new flagship integrated amplifier in NAD’s Classic Series. The C 399’s digital section is built around a 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC, the same chip used in NAD’s acclaimed M10 and M33 Masters Series amplifiers. The suggested retail price of the C 399 is US$1999 (£1799 / €1999 / CDN$2599) with retail availability in time for the holiday season.

The C 399 also the first amplifier to incorporate the latest generation of NAD’s Modular Design Construction (MDC) technology: MDC2. MDC2 lets users add optional modules that provide functions such as BluOS Hi-Res multi-room music streaming, Dirac Live room correction and more.

“As with every NAD amplifier, the C 399 gets the basics right: a precise volume control with accurate channel balance, low-noise circuits, and correct input and output impedances. The C 399 with its HybridDigital nCore output stage and high-resolution ESS Sabre DAC can reproduce all your digital and analogue sources to a level of excitement and refinement that is unprecedented in its class”, says Cas Oostvogel, NAD Electronics’ Product Manager. “Ever since the launch of the legendary 3020 integrated amplifier in 1978, the NAD brand has been synonymous with value and performance. The C 399 takes that reputation to a whole new level. Thanks to NAD’s innovative new MDC2 architecture, the C 399 can serve as the hub of a world-class music system today, and for many years to come.”

Pure Power​

Trickled down from NAD’s Masters Series, the C 399’s HybridDigital nCore amplifier is highly efficient and remarkably powerful. It can deliver 180 Watts per channel continuous power, and 250 Watts per channel instantaneous power, allowing the C 399 to produce musical transients effortlessly. The HybridDigital nCore design is renowned for its wide bandwidth, flat frequency response, clean clipping behaviour with instant recovery, high current capability, and stability into demanding low-impedance speaker loads. Noise and distortion are vanishingly low under all operating conditions. The minute levels of harmonic distortion are dominated by sonically benign second and third harmonics. These refinements enable the C 399 to produce neutral, distortion-free sound even at very high listening levels, with thrilling dynamics, exquisite detail, and superb portrayal of space.

Also trickled down from the Masters Series is the ESS Sabre ES9028 high-resolution DAC, a design noted for its wide dynamic range, ultra-low noise and distortion, and near-zero levels of clock jitter. This premium DAC enables the C 399 to reproduce all of one’s digital sources with amazing musicality, a precise soundstage, and stunning clarity.

Future Perfect​

In 2006, NAD introduced Modular Design Construction (MDC), an innovative architecture for adding new functions to existing components. Many NAD products have rear-panel slots for MDC modules that perform UHD (4K) support, HDMI switching, BluOS multi-room music streaming, Dolby Atmos surround processing, and other functions.

NAD C 399 with MDC card and installed antennas

NAD C 399 Rear Panel with Optional MDC2 BluOS-D Module

The C 399 is the first product to feature NAD’s new MDC2 architecture. By enabling two-way communications between the module and host component, MDC2 allows for adding desirable features.

Equipped with Wi-Fi and Ethernet, the optional MDC2 BluOS-D module lets listeners play music from their favorite streaming services through the C 399, using the acclaimed BluOS Controller app for Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows. Like all BluOS Enabled products, the MDC2 BluOS-D has integrated support for dozens of streaming services; and supports Apple AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and Tidal Connect. Two-way communications also enable the MDC2 BluOS-D to stream music from local sources connected to the C 399 to BluOS Enabled components in other rooms.

The Dirac Live function lets users to measure their room’s acoustics using a supplied microphone and intuitive app, and then upload correction curves to the MDC2 BluOS-D. By compensating for acoustic anomalies in listening environments, Dirac Live dramatically improves bass clarity, imaging, and timbral accuracy. Thanks to its two-way architecture, the MDC2 BluOS-D performs Dirac Live room correction for all sources connected to the C399

Well Connected​

The C 399 has two optical and two coaxial digital inputs, plus an HDMI-eARC port for playing audio from a connected TV, while controlling amplifier output with the TV’s remote control. Analogue fans are well served with two pairs of RCA line-level inputs, plus a MM phono stage with ultra-precise RIAA equalization, extremely low noise, and high overload margins. The phono preamp also features an innovative circuit that suppresses the infrasonic noise present on all LPs, without compromising bass response. The line inputs have low-noise buffer amplifiers to prevent sonic degradation.

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier Rear Panel

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier Rear Panel

In addition to two sets of speaker outputs, the C 399 has preamp output jacks and dual subwoofer outputs. Two-way aptX HD Bluetooth allows 24-bit streaming from mobile devices, and high-quality output to Bluetooth headphones. Also built-in is a dedicated headphone amplifier with low output impedance and high output voltage capability, enabling the C 399 to drive demanding high-impedance studio monitor headphones.

Key Features of the NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier​

• Hybrid Digital nCore Amplifier
  • Continuous Power: 180 Watts per channel into 8/4 ohms
  • Instantaneous Power: 250 Watts per channel
  • Vanishingly low harmonic and intermodulation distortion
  • Dual MDC2 Slots for expanded functionality
  • Optional MDC2 BluOS-D module adds BluOS multi-room streaming and Dirac Live room correction
  • Jitter-free 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC
  • Ultra-low-noise MM phono stage with infrasonic filtering circuitry
  • Two optical, two coaxial digital inputs
  • HDMI-eARC input
  • Two pairs of line-level analogue inputs with low-noise buffer amplifiers
  • Speaker A/Speaker B outputs
  • Two-way aptX HD Bluetooth
  • Dual subwoofer outputs
  • Dedicated headphone amplifier
  • IR remote
  • 12V Trigger in/out
  • IR in/out
  • RS-232 Serial port for control integration with home automation systems
  • Seamless integration with Control4, Crestron, RTI, URC, Lutron, iPort, Elan, PUSH and KNX smart home control systems

ABOUT NAD ELECTRONICS
Founded in 1972 and now sold in over 80 countries, NAD Electronics is renowned for its award-winning line of high-quality components for audio, home theatre and custom installation applications. Since the beginning, NAD’s commitment to four core values – innovation, innovation, simplicity, performance, and value – have earned it a cult-like following that catapulted it to becoming a household name amongst audiophiles and music lovers alike. To this day, the brand continues to design and manufacture some of the most acclaimed and affordable hi-fi components that include modern features and technologies meant to appeal to a new generation of audiophiles.

The NAD C399 is using Ncore NC400OEM. Information and picture from the link below.

https://www.audio-supply.com/article/nad-c399數位綜合擴大機/

Extracted from article using google translate.
"The Hypex nCore power amplifier module equipped with this machine is a special product of the model NC400 OEM. The circuit board layout is similar to the NC500 OEM on the Hypex official website, but there are some differences. It is obviously improved and evolved according to NAD’s higher requirements for sound quality. "

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 145

alvin81

Too add on, I auditioned the C399 and the C658+C298 combo. Both playing Tidal through BluOS using the same pair of speakers. No DIRAC nor EQ were applied.

My wife and me agreed that the C399 sounds way better. It was very distinguishable.

Korvenwin

Welcome to ASR. If you've connected the NAD to your TV or DVD player via HDMI cable it should definitely work. If you have more than one HDMI cable give that a try. Also double check your settings, you may have "turn on" or select a specific device. I have a C399/BluOS arriving this week and I'll take a look at the options and update if I learn anything. Otherwise I would contact NAD for a possible solution/replacement. Your dealer seems to be dispensing BS. Imagine that!
Thank you very much for your welcome. I'm sorry about no introducing myself. I'm from Spain and I'm almost newcomer to audio hobby.

I've tried any HDMI cable I own but I've ordered a HDMI 2.1 certified to do the final try. I will arrive tomorrow. I've turned on PCM on the Samsung TV and both appears to "speak" each oder, because the NAD is turned off after put the TV on stand by (CEC is turned off too).

@Xaero I've double checked what you says about the ports labeled as eARC. The TV clearly stays HDMI eARC port.

@lateralous what I mean is that I've tried to connect the Sony Blu-ray player directly to the NAD via HDMI audio port without success. It is not a HDMI eARC port, so I suppose that in this case, this is normal.

Thanks all for your support.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Thank you very much for your welcome. I'm sorry about no introducing myself. I'm from Spain and I'm almost newcomer to audio hobby.

I've tried any HDMI cable I own but I've ordered a HDMI 2.1 certified to do the final try. I will arrive tomorrow. I've turned on PCM on the Samsung TV and both appears to "speak" each oder, because the NAD is turned off after put the TV on stand by (CEC is turned off too).

@Xaero I've double checked what you says about the ports labeled as eARC. The TV clearly stays HDMI eARC port.

@lateralous what I mean is that I've tried to connect the Sony Blu-ray player directly to the NAD via HDMI audio port without success. It is not a HDMI eARC port, so I suppose that in this case, this is normal.

I wish I had had ASR available when I got into the hobby/obsession, would have saved me a ton of $ and even more important improved my understanding of audio and related gear. If you have any interaction with NAD support please let us know your experience; with so much performance parity in modern gear I think it's the reliability and customer support that often makes the biggest difference. Happy Holidays

nick-v

Too add on, I auditioned the C399 and the C658+C298 combo. Both playing Tidal through BluOS using the same pair of speakers. No DIRAC nor EQ were applied.

My wife and me agreed that the C399 sounds way better. It was very distinguishable.
Interesting.

The C298 is exceptional, but the C658 certainly leaves a lot of performance on the table.

I use a C298 with a miniDSP SHD in one of my systems, and it's great.

I'm thinking about using a C399 to power a ridiculously over the top in-ceiling speaker system in our master ensuite bathroom with KEF Ci250RRM-THX.

alvin81

Interesting.

The C298 is exceptional, but the C658 certainly leaves a lot of performance on the table.

I'm thinking about using a C399 to power a ridiculously over the top in-ceiling speaker system in our master ensuite bathroom with KEF Ci250RRM-THX.
I think if we replace the power section of C399 to that of C298, we could’ve a winner!

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Interesting.

Be careful Nick not to add mirrors to the ceiling, not sure why you would, but they're highly reflective and would degrade SQ ;o)

fpaiy

Components in NAD C399

Details and Photo of the components from the link below

MDC2 BluOSD processor
NXP MIMX8MM6DVTLZAA

Hypex NC400OEM
Hpex Ncore

TI SRC4190
192kHz Stereo Asynchronous Sample Rate Converters

ESS ES9028Q2M
32-Bit Stereo Audio DAC

IV Buffer TI OPA1664
Quad sound plus low-power, low-noise and distortion, audio op amps

JRC NJW1194
2-Channel Electronic Volume With Input Selector And Tone Control

TI OPA1654
Quad sound plus low noise and distortion, general-purpose, FET-input audio op amps

dshreter

Turn CEC on. On my TV and Sonos Amp, HDMI ARC does not work unless CEC is enabled.

Korvenwin

Turn CEC on. On my TV and Sonos Amp, HDMI ARC does not work unless CEC is enabled.
Thank you for your advice. It doesn't work. I'm afraid that it is not a problem of this unit. The official supplier of NAD in Spain, advice me "to use a digital SPDIF" to connect to TV. :(

Brab

Thank you for your advice. It doesn't work. I'm afraid that it is not a problem of this unit. The official supplier of NAD in Spain, advice me "to use a digital SPDIF" to connect to TV. :(
Today's online review of the C399 in the The Absolute Sound mentions the problem with HDMI connection to TV. NAD is working on it, they say.

Korvenwin

...switching for two pairs of speaker systems... :facepalm:
Take care, it DOESN'T HAVE TWO PAIRS OF SPEAKERS. Both terminal are the same. For me it was a dissapoinment too because I wanted to connect two pairs of speakers.

pogo

Major Contributor
For me it was a dissapoinment too because I wanted to connect two pairs of speakers.
Some see it as a disappointment and others as an improvement ;)
Additional speaker switching increases the output impedance of the amplifier!

Korvenwin

Some see it as a disappointment and others as an improvement ;)
Additional speaker switching increases the output impedance of the amplifier!
So, why to put two terminals? What is the case of use?

Top Bottom