• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

voip-ninja

Just out of curiosity, what would native or app support for Apple Music look like? Would BluOS offer similar functionality to Apple's music app? Airplay is pretty much all I use (often via Rogue Amoeba's excellent Airfoil app running on a Mac mini music server).
my understanding is that lossless is not supported via Airplay 2 so even if you are playing lossless on your mobile device, when you send the audio to a device like the M2 it will switch to a lossy format when playing.

Native support would look pretty much like Tidal does, you would log in the device directly to your account and then you would just control playback with Blueos or something else. Apple probably won't allow it though.

pogo

Major Contributor
Only complaint I've had is that I wish the power were higher
Is that really the case (see also here: Link)?
Is the power also missing when Dirac Live and the Tone Controls are disabled?

voip-ninja

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it appears the player will ignore the shuffle setting after being shut off and turned back on. I had been playing my liked songs on Tidal last night, shut the player down. Started it up today and resumed playback and noticed it was playing all the tracks alphabetically even though shuffle mode was still selected. I de-selected shuffle mode and re-enabled it and it started playing tracks in random order again.

DannyBoyNYC

Just received an over the air update to BluOS on my unit. Is there an info screen where I can check version numbers and features/bugfixes?

Porter

Just received an over the air update to BluOS on my unit. Is there an info screen where I can check version numbers and features/bugfixes?

The BluOS development team hosts the "full" versions of the release notes here, with current and past versions detailed:

NAD provides their own integrated/simplified version of the same release notes as a downloadable PDF on the product page for each relevant product. The current release notes for the M10 firmware (including prior release fixes list) is available here:

voip-ninja

I discovered that M10 can play back USB audio, does anyone know of a way to download Tidal music to a USB drive and then get it to work when connected back to the M10?

I listen to Tidal quite a lot on the M10 and it uses a pretty substantial amount of bandwidth (I have a bandwidth cap through my internet provider).

DannyBoyNYC

You may need to check it using the BluOS app. That makes things easy.
I'm of two minds about the BluOS app. One the one hand I like how easy it is to make presets and its hardware integration (e.g. I can customize the names of the inputs).

More importantly, it appears to have partially solved the volume control issue. For example, my wife used to max the volume on the (previously connected non-M10 v2) amp when playing from her phone without noticing that her phone was transmitting on a very low volume setting. Had she used her phone to control volume she would not have had to max the volume on the amp (but still, the volume setting on the amp would regulate the max possible volume). With BluOS integration and the M10, changing the volume on the device changes the output of the amplifier. (However it doesn't work the other way obvs.) This is a partial solution that at least lessens the possibility that the amp will be on its highest volume when I commence a new session and jump out of my chair in shock fumbling for the volume toggle on my phone to turn down a deafening blast of music.*

On the other hand the BluOS desktop app appears to be either an Electron (i.e. a cross platform app using the Electron framework - similar to the Slack app and others) or a Multiplatform iOS app and lacks the niceties I expect in a native Mac app. (Granted, I'm a developer so I may notice these things a bit more that others do.) Also it seems to be a bit of a resource hog. I never hear the fans on my Mac kick in unless running the desktop version of BluOS for a long period.

Remaining to be seen is how it handles multi-room audio. Over the years I have cobbled together a multi-room system using Volumio, a Mac mini server running Airfoil, clients running Airfoil Satellite, and a combination of Pi's and old Apple TVs for transport and/or analog conversion. Apple Airplay 2 doesn't appear to work reliably for me as a multi-room solution. I cannot - for example - use the new iPhone-only Apple Classical app on my phone to transmit to multiple rooms. Some of the older Pi's are Airplay 1 only which may partially account for this, but even with newer devices (WiiM mini, Yamaha WXC-50) that do support Airplay 2 its hit or miss.

I plan to sell my Yamaha as701, TEAC UD-501 DAC and TEAC AX-505 amp in order to fund a Bluesound Powernode which, if BluOS handles multi-room and Airplay well, may eventually replace my current setup.

In fact one of the reasons I'm posting this is to get my count high enough to participate in the Sales section of this site with the aforementioned units.

Enough rambling for now! If there's a better thread/forum to post this kind of material please do let me know. I am very interested in other's experiences with software and music.

* Interestingly, Yamaha wireless steaming preamp and amp solutions have a different approach to volume control and do not allow me to change the volume via software - a reason to prefer the M19/BluOS model in my books.

AudioScience Enthusiast

I would say never, I was told 2.5 years ago, directly from NAD through email, it was coming SOON.
With BluOS 4.0 delayed much to the dismay of its customers, I am not surprised NAD is delaying DLBC (if it is not vaporware by now).

It seems like Bluesound (Lenbrook International) which owns NAD, is having issues delivering promises, this is not a good look at all.

Why isn't there more backlash yet? I wonder what will make them know this is not ok and take actions?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expecting audio companies that make their revenue though the traditional box sales model to keep supporting their combined hardware and software offerings to transition to forever-supported firmware/software upgrades they don't charge for is naïve. Look at your smartphone's support policies.

pogo

Major Contributor
It seems like Bluesound (Lenbrook International) which owns NAD, is having issues delivering promises, this is not a good look at all.
Marketing could probably also play a role here. BluOS 4.0 and the M66 with DLBC seem to be launched at the same time.

Porter

Expecting audio companies that make their revenue though the traditional box sales model to keep supporting their combined hardware and software offerings to transition to forever-supported firmware/software upgrades they don't charge for is naïve. Look at your smartphone's support policies.
The firmware is mostly for the BluOS module which is separate hardware in most of these devices. They've only had like 3 major revisions of the core module since Bluesound started, and a bunch of currently shipping product still uses the older ones.

I think it might literally cost them more money to split the development process to artificially sunset support for certain models, than it would to just support the BluOS platform with whatever software updates are meaningfully applicable.

Last edited:

AudioScience Enthusiast

I just discovered today that when playing Tidal tracks within Roon to my M10 V2, whether it's via Roon Ready or Airplay, distortion can be heard during certain frequencies. (I tested with all DSP, room correction, tone control turned off, same problem).

However, when playing the same tracks from Tidal app to M10 V2 via Airplay, whether it's the app on the phone, desktop browser, Tidal app etc, the same distortion is not heard. But using Tidal Connect directly to M10 V2 would trigger voice crackling / distortions again.

So it seems both Tidal Connect and Roon are broken on the M10 V2.

Seeing that NAD's support is frustrating in the past (based on experience), is alerting Roon the best and only thing I can do in the meantime? Has someone come across something similar on your M10? I haven't tested other streaming platforms yet aside from Tidal.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Reduce volume level under Roon.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Try this additionally:
The fix in ROON is to enable Headroom management (under DSP menu).
Ok, "Headroom Management" of -3dB finally did the trick. I tried -1 and -2, both were not enough.

This totally brings up another question, why is headroom management required for my M10 V2 when no Roon filter or DSP was ever used?

Top Bottom