• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC and headphone amplifier/adapter. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $99 but company has it on sale for US $49.

The Rhodium looks like any other USB-C phone dongle:

Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Review Headphone Amplifier Adapter.jpg

It was plug and play on my Windows 10 PC and that is how I tested it.

Rhodium DAC Measurements
As usual, I test these dongles as DACs (with high impedance load) so that we can assess its performance without the headphone amplifier portion (even though it is still in the loop):
Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Measurements.png

Ah, this is not very good. Third-harmonic is quite high at nearly -81 dB which dominates the SINAD to the same tune. Output voltage is only 1 volt which means it will not have much power to drive high impedance headphones either.

Jitter test showed nice, flat noise floor but some data dependent jitter (due to 250 Hz square wave in j-test signal):
Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Jitter Measurements.png

Most important test here is amount of power so let's start with 300 ohm load:
Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Measurements power into 300 ohm.png

As suspected, there is not much power here:
most powerful headpohne adapter 300 ohm.png

Switching to 32 ohm load we get:
Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC Measurements power into 32 ohm.png

most powerful headpohne adapter 32 ohm.png

Company spec is much higher (around 35 milliwatts). Maybe that is one channel with much more allowance for distortion.

Listening Tests
I tested the Rhodium DAC using my Sennheiser HD-650. On tracks with full amplitude, there was enough volume to enjoy so dynamic power should be higher than shown. But on any track with less than max digital levels, I didn't feel there was enough volume there.

Conclusions
I met the company at an audio show and was impressed with their objective approach to headphone design and measurements in general. I am therefore disappointed to see such a low performing dongle sold at rather premium prices. I hope they can upgrade the platform to something better.

As is, I can't recommend the Rhodium DAC. Hopefully I don't loose another professional colleague in the industry over this review. :(

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I had a good impression of the company as well. Results match the <0.007% THD spec.

Would you mind measuring max SNR as well, if you still have it?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks Amir. Could be truncating to 16bit? Regardless, the output power is very low.

jasonhanjk

3rd harmonic is higher. If reduce the media player volume to 97% would that improve?

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Weird, it's advertised as having 31 mW at 32 ohms. Seems a little off that it's only doing 7 at 33.
The usual practice is to test one channel. If so, then it is 14 mw compared to 31. And then if you allow more distortion than I did on that hockey stick, maybe one gets close.

So many people push this spec to the max that vendors almost have no choice but to play by the same rule.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I met the company at an audio show and was impressed with their objective approach to headphone design and measurements in general.
Rocking the lab coats never hurts in projecting this vibe

cursive

Forum Donor
The usual practice is to test one channel. If so, then it is 14 mw compared to 31. And then if you allow more distortion than I did on that hockey stick, maybe one gets close.

So many people push this spec to the max that vendors almost have no choice but to play by the same rule.

Do you always use the same percent of distortion as a cutoff? I didn't see it listed in the review, but is it .001%? Or is there a way to see the percentage from the graph that I'm not aware of.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard of this company but looking at "about us" section of their website they seem like likable guys..

"We do not court sports-stars or media-darlings to validate your emotional insecurities.

We just care about music. And that it should move you. "

Hopefully measurements will reach the level of their humor in their future products ;) I mean, proper chemical mixture..

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Periodic Audio Rhodium DAC and headphone amplifier/adapter. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $99 but company has it on sale for US $49.

The Rhodium looks like any other USB-C phone dongle:

View attachment 116260

It was plug and play on my Windows 10 PC and that is how I tested it.

Rhodium DAC Measurements
As usual, I test these dongles as DACs (with high impedance load) so that we can assess its performance without the headphone amplifier portion (even though it is still in the loop):
View attachment 116261

Ah, this is not very good. Third-harmonic is quite high at nearly -81 dB which dominates the SINAD to the same tune. Output voltage is only 1 volt which means it will not have much power to drive high impedance headphones either.

Jitter test showed nice, flat noise floor but some data dependent jitter (due to 250 Hz square wave in j-test signal):
View attachment 116262

Most important test here is amount of power so let's start with 300 ohm load:
View attachment 116264

As suspected, there is not much power here:
View attachment 116265

Switching to 32 ohm load we get:
View attachment 116266

View attachment 116267

Company spec is much higher (around 35 milliwatts). Maybe that is one channel with much more allowance for distortion.

Listening Tests
I tested the Rhodium DAC using my Sennheiser HD-650. On tracks with full amplitude, there was enough volume to enjoy so dynamic power should be higher than shown. But on any track with less than max digital levels, I didn't feel there was enough volume there.

Conclusions
I met the company at an audio show and was impressed with their objective approach to headphone design and measurements in general. I am therefore disappointed to see such a low performing dongle sold at rather premium prices. I hope they can upgrade the platform to something better.

As is, I can't recommend the Rhodium DAC. Hopefully I don't loose another professional colleague in the industry over this review. :(

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir, I know you like to use the DX3 Pro as a "standard" for DAC-amps, but for these tiny adapters, wouldn't the Apple USB-C adapter be a better example to show in your graphs, as it competes in the same market, unlike the Topping?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Looks like Realtek based USB->DAC-HPA combo, a VERY convenient chip, and crazy cheap($1+a few passive parts!) but really junk audio performance. Tonnes of similar "DAC"s on the Taobao today for a hamburger cost.
doubt it. Do you have the specs or model number of this IC? The Periodic Audio Dac supports 384 kHz. I don't know any 1$ parts that do this.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
PeteL here you are ;) I may mix up the price yet, probably ALC4050 is the most expensive Realtek USB-audio chip nad its cost $1,5(the PCBA from my pics 15RMB on taobao, it is $2.3) but they have previous chips like ALC4050, probably even worse but $1 indeed.

Attachments

• ALC4050_DataSheet_1.2.pdf
    480.6 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:
Top Bottom