• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sorry, I have no idea.

Maybe try a different player on the phone...

Good luck.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its the Android OS. Try bit perfect players such as the Hiby and Onkyo. Or if you're willing to spend a few dollars, the UAPP.

mastershake

yeah im bummed they ran out of black. im sure they will most likely drop again but i dont really want to wait lol. its only 199 on massdrop also.

woho... found a black one. over at head fi someone was selling a basically new one (2 days old) in black and i got it here today the box took a beating on the way here but the unit is perfect. i bought it for a gift for someone else but i was told i can play with it first and test it out since im waiting for mine to show up.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is problem in andorid software, or player or hadware of phone?
Could be the difference in the amount of power provided in each case. Do you have a USB power meter? If not, they are pretty cheap. Get one and measure the current usage in both cases and see if it is different.

Other than that, the standard architecture on Android resamples audio so it could cause degradation and hence the recommendation by others to get a special player.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Glad to help. ;)

I had the same issue when I plugged my phone into my desktop DAC using its default music player.
Hiby and Onkyo were way better in the overall result as they didn't resample the music and cause havoc in the sound quality.

bhigh

For S/PDIF use which is how I tested mine, you need to supply your own power supply which I did using my lab linear supply.

Can you confirm that your unit can be powered by the USB type-B port on the back? I've just unpacked mine and it will only power on if it's getting power from the 5V in.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you confirm that your unit can be powered by the USB type-B port on the back? I've just unpacked mine and it will only power on if it's getting power from the 5V in.
No, you need separate power to the USB power input. It won't power with just USB data cable.

typericey

New member here and this is post #1. Ordered the D50 which will be arriving next week, and the decision was based mostly from this thread. It will do hi-fi system duties only (stand mount speakers, integrated amp), no headphones. I was choosing between the D50 and the Musical Fidelity V90.

Currently my source (playback and DAC) is a Fiio X5 III but it was so frustrating to use so I plan to retire it--maybe just use it for travelling. So I have acquired a modest desktop (Acer Veriton N) to feed the D50 as I dip my toes into computer audio.

A little background about me: 41 year old who has been an audiophile since I was twelve but honestly was brainwashed to be a subjectivist for the most part. However I felt deep inside that something was wrong (pricey cables and all that snake oil) until most recently found peace, liberation and enlightenment in objective audio.

Anyway, hope to find time to post a report on my D50 when it arrives and is auditioned. Thanks to amir and this forum for being an invaluable resource.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
nyway, hope to find time to post a report on my D50 when it arrives and is auditioned. Thanks to amir and this forum for being an invaluable resource.
Please do. I always am interested to know if I have steered people wrong or not! :) Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words.

jaytrinitron

Is it true the USB input on the Topping d50 is not isolated (galvanically? I think that's the term), which means there could be ground loop issues with it?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
I personally could not recreate any ground loop on my unit so I'm not sure all devices are affected (?)

Peib

Have anyone had problems with massdro or with any Topping d50 u have bought? Its my first buy there.

Thank you so much

Regards

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Same here, been an active customer with Massdrop, only 1 problem so far, and was taken care of promptly.
Just got my D50 yesterday from them, and it sounds great, btw.

Top Bottom