• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Vosya

filter tests are intersample clipped, probably Amir's Topping D50 as well
Presumably, the tests of DX7s and D50 were done on the same equipment in the same initial conditions. Why are the differences of measurements so great?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Presumably, the tests of DX7s and D50 were done on the same equipment in the same initial conditions. Why are the differences of measurements so great?
I did them at different times so there could be a difference. This is why I said I need to confirm. Alas, I have a ton of stuff to review so not sure I can get to this now...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Source: http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=83.html

Has anyone observed these USB interference issues on D50?

Was it related to USB low-speed frames (1ms ~ 1kHz) or USB full-speed microframes (125us ~ 8kHz) that are present on USB bus?
I am pretty sure the update is related to the unit hanging, etc. and not do with any performance enhancements.

Vosya

I did them at different times so there could be a difference. This is why I said I need to confirm. Alas, I have a ton of stuff to review so not sure I can get to this now...
If there is some methodological error, this indirectly casts doubt on the rest of the results. At a forum where basic concepts are "science" and "accuracy", this is unacceptable.

CTRLM

I'm just about 5 hours in with the newly arrived D50 in my setup. I gotta say that this thing is pretty impressive so far, even without the obvious value for money argument - I paid 209 USD delivered. I'm powering it with an LPS, using the optical input and have left it on filter 1 for now.

I was going to A/B with the Hifime UDA38Pro DAC which was OK, but I don't think I'll bother. The D50 is giving me the different presentation I was looking for as an alternative to my NOS DAC.

CTRLM

Ridiculous difference in size and price :eek::)

IMG_0104.jpg

Last edited:

jampa

Forum Donor
Hello there

I saw ali express was having a sale (15%) so bought a D50 to pair with a Magni 3. They will replace an apogee duet firewire that has given up the ghost, which was released for OS X Tiger. Thanks all for your feedback here which has helped me with this decision.

boopyc

Hello there

I saw ali express was having a sale (15%) so bought a D50 to pair with a Magni 3. They will replace an apogee duet firewire that has given up the ghost, which was released for OS X Tiger. Thanks all for your feedback here which has helped me with this decision.

I’m also looking at this sale, but I can’t decide if I want to order it or order the JDS labs EL dac b stock for $200. Any thoughts?

jampa

Forum Donor
I’m also looking at this sale, but I can’t decide if I want to order it or order the JDS labs EL dac b stock for $200. Any thoughts?
Ordered through seller Takstar Audio Store who has messaged twice and already shipped item (since my last post). I have no worries. I would be happy with either for my purpose.

Toku

Major Contributor
Ordered through seller Takstar Audio Store who has messaged twice and already shipped item (since my last post). I have no worries. I would be happy with either for my purpose.
I purchase DX7s D50 etc. from Takstar Audio Store, but it is polite correspondence every time. I ordered the second D50 two days ago.

jampa

Forum Donor
D50 arrived today (so 5-6 days from China). Serial number begins 1807 - I ordered it in late August. Running on Mac with no driver problems (so far). Powered by an Apple USB phone charger I had lying around - no problems. Running it on filter1.

Top Bottom