• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Role Audio Skiff Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 171 93.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I dont understand how these guys manager to sell a single pair of these and probably the rest of their catalogue. Their website also stinks like hell!
Were it not for Amir, I would have no idea how good or bad they are. Online subjective reviews are for the most part worth what you pay.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think we need to see the 'other' side every so often

there are other industries where there is an expectation of relative competance no matter what you buy

eg. if i buy a television or microwave oven i can watch crap on free to air and I can heat my microwave dinners

this is a basic expectation

there seems to be a lot of product we as 'audio enthusiasts' come across that are not 'fit for purpose' maybe as the original design is suspect or reliabilty is not a given

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there seems to be a lot of product we as 'audio enthusiasts' come across that are not 'fit for purpose' maybe as the original design is suspect or reliabilty is not a given
Yes, you obviously can toss some crap in a box and, if it makes noise, you can sell it for too much. Caveat emptor.

beagleman

Major Contributor
@amirm

So being serious for a moment, how do these compare subjectively to Danny's LGK speakers?

They seem to have a similar approach to some degree...

Toni Mas

Were it not for Amir, I would have no idea how good or bad they are. Online subjective reviews are for the most part worth what you pay.
Well, if this kind of manufacturer would bother to give a minimum insight to their websites and listings, It might also help. But It is a fact too that most buyers have no technical background nor interest at all and are most easily teased by ridículous IA generated images showing the product in their every day life, taking beers, showing movies, and all that jazz...

beagleman

Major Contributor

Exactly ...!

I have seen "Online" reviewers raving about Klipsch RP-600 speakers and while not junk., they are fairly flawed sound wise.

Yet, they are not able to hear any of the flaws at all. Subjective only reviews to me are next to useless.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Exactly ...!

I have seen "Online" reviewers raving about Klipsch RP-600 speakers and while not junk., they are fairly flawed sound wise.

Yet, they are not able to hear any of the flaws at all. Subjective only reviews to me are next to useless.
Well I think some of the subjective reviews did pick up on some of the flaws in the Rp-600m. Such as the mellow upper mids and the possibly bright sound on axis along with the narrow dispersion.
But they are technical flaws, not guaranteed to sound strongly objectionable.
Sans PEQ the RP-600m sounds pretty darn good to me and my GF in our testing.
With a couple eq tweakers the speakers sounds outright fantastic(and measures as such) if you can do narrow dispersion.

This little speaker likely has very audible flaws if you have neutrality as a reference. But if you do not then it may somehow still sound good especially as a novelty to the music 1st/forward reviewer.

Always good to have objective data if technical accuracy/hi fidelity is the goal and if it isn't then who knows... still might sound decent.

musicforcities

@amirm,
Would there be a way to demote a badly performing hardware from appearing on the ASR main landing page, after a certain amount of days or if HeadlessPanther gets more than 89.9% of the first 100 votes?:rolleyes:
It may not too appealing to new visitors.
I propose a rouge’s gallery of failure. Melted panther.
Or panther poop.

Not AVRs that are just mediocre and not just everything that gets a headless panther. Just things such as this that are shockingly incompetent and almost willfully poorly engineered or construed if the manufacture makes claims like this one does that are so counterfsctursl they are either delusional or grifters. And if the price is as inane.

There would have to be limit on the number of cables, power conditioners, etc…

Last edited:

musicforcities

Use first order crossovers (passive or DSP) but with this you have weak suppression of unwanted driver resonances.
And this would be worse than what what we see here? If the drivers are well selected to each other that issue can also be mitigated.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The tilted stickers tells you all you need to know about how much the company cares.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
And this would be worse than what what we see here? If the drivers are well selected to each other that issue can also be mitigated.
Chassis usually have problems when they are used above their specified operating frequency because the resonances then break up And distortion increases. Only few chassis that do not exhibit this behavior are suitable for first order crossovers.
Many manufacturers use fourth order crossovers to avoid this but they have worse phase response than second order. Best option in my eyes is to use an active setup with linear phase crossovers. The subtractive time delayed approach is quite good (and easy to implement also in IIR DSPs) in my eyes as it delivers steep cutoff for woofers, linear phase and therefore delivers perfect polar response. I wonder why manufacturers of DSP crossovers (like MiniDSP) did not offer this option by default in their products. The paper was published by Kreskovsky in 2002!
But you are right. The chassis is this speaker is crab :facepalm:

beagleman

Major Contributor
Just looking at this again, but wondered, without that resonance bump at 1.5 khz, this would measure quite okay, ignoring the over 8khz stuff....

But with notch filters or whatever is needed, it would raise the price to even wilder amounts.
This SHOULD be at most a $125.00-$150.00 a pair speaker, as it most likely has a $5.00 full range driver at manufacturers cost.

Does anyone know what driver is used, and if it sports A Whizzer cone?

Toni Mas

Does anyone know what driver is used, and if it sports A Whizzer cone?
It seems to be a well kept secret...
What is no secret at all is that It is not even a full range driver, as bass is totally missing... Neither a decent midranger because of this awfull resonnance in the 1-2k área...
Most probably a 0-5$ ranger...:p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm,
Would there be a way to demote a badly performing hardware from appearing on the ASR main landing page, after a certain amount of days or if HeadlessPanther gets more than 89.9% of the first 100 votes?:rolleyes:
It may not too appealing to new visitors.
In my opinion, the reviews of poorly performing hardware need to be just as visible as good performing hardware.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So being serious for a moment, how do these compare subjectively to Danny's LGK speakers?
That was actually the motivation to accept these speakers for testing! I found the driver more robust and much less apt to distort compared to LGK. It however, had less bass.

Top Bottom